SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   136 miles of cash cropping (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=210897)

Matt-EUC 12-06-14 09:35 PM

136 miles of cash cropping

All they need is a magnet.

Sent via the medium of interpretative dance.

andrewsmith 12-06-14 09:40 PM

Re: 136 miles of cash cropping

Cant bypass a limiter like that. Paper tacho's yes

Matt-EUC 12-06-14 09:40 PM

136 miles of cash cropping

Meg. It happens.

Sent via the medium of interpretative dance.

Mrs DJ Fridge 12-06-14 10:03 PM

Many years ago now we had a driver who used a pencil and a ruler to up his hours on his tacho so that he got paid extra, you need a really good H2 pencil to do that, driver cards are much better, but I do look like Myra Hindley in the picture, not in real life I hope. We really did have a driver who use a magnet to slow his tach to allow him to drive further, can I just comment that we have not and never would condone any sort of tachograph amendments. This was the same driver who done for going over 40 mph on a single carriageway road.

munkygunn182 13-06-14 04:31 PM

Used to look after a fleet of lorries...driver cards are great, but paper tacho's are err...'useful' in that they can be made to disappear (not by me obviously, drivers decision). Average cameras won't achieve much...picture the scene:

HGV + Irate BMW/Merc/Audi driver pass through camera on single carriageway at 40mph, Irate driver overtakes at 70/80/90mph to clear the HGV in a small stretch of road

Irate driver then sits at 45mph until clearing the next camera set so as to drag down the average speed.

The dangerous overtaking is still in there - just needs executed with a little extra thought

SIII 13-06-14 04:40 PM

There's a much easier solution - Ban all HGV's during the day. They can only use it from 8.00pm to 6.00am. Problem solved.

As for 40mph limits of HGV's on A roads - every single one on the A75 does more than that and most still doing 40+ mph thru my village. I hate them and wish I could sit with a speed camera and a 50 cal.

Bibio 13-06-14 04:54 PM

i'm sure the people responsible are the same people who cant drive properly and do 40mph everywhere. so to make themselves feel better about holding everyone up they cut the speed limits.

within 5 years roads round my way have dropped from a NSL to a 40mph with no accidents ever taking place on the roads.

we need to vote the main political parties out and put others that don't have a clue in power that way they will be chasing their tails on more important stuff like healthcare and education to make stupid decisions like the A9.

i wonder how much annual profit the camera safety partnership make.

munkygunn182 13-06-14 04:57 PM

Ah but without trucks, Britain stops. True story. I go over to Ireland monthly with work, if the boys are on a single carriageway they'll sit at about 65mph to keep everyone happy. Only exception seems to be Stobarts, who'll still sit at 50+.

I'm very much sympathetic to truckers having worked around them so long. It's not their fault the government pins their vehicle back, it's not their fault they take time to get up to speed and it's not their fault that they take so long to get out at junctions/roundabouts.

Bibio 13-06-14 05:08 PM

so if it's only the single carriageways that are the dangerous parts why are they putting ASC's up on the dual sections?

so what happens if the ASC's dont save lives but increase deaths due to frustration? are the camera partnership going to be held responsible?

there has also been no news as to the switch on date of the ASC's

munkygunn182 13-06-14 05:19 PM

Just thinking....isn't there some piece of legislation that says police speed traps are not allowed to operate in average speed zones?

Ie the A9's about to become a 2 wheeled expressway to the North?

**The more I look for this piece of info, the more I think I've made it up.