SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Johnny Rod's "What Bike" thread brought to you by Hitler (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=156073)

fizzwheel 16-09-10 03:41 PM

Re: Johnny Rod's "What Bike" thread brought to you by Hitler

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyrod (Post 2351022)
The gixxer was okay, pulled a bit at low speed, lit up at around 6k and went into warp speed not unlike a firework in the trousers. Seemed to vibrate a lot through the bars though (buzzing), I'm sure the 600s I've ridden don't do that. Also seemed to be fairly whirring even at e.g. 50mph in 5th when you'd think it'd be chugging or happy (gearing is about the same as the SV but the longer rev range takes it up to higher speeds - just seemed to be squealing). Great handling of course, but the riding position is pretty radical. No question it's fun but I ride my bike all year round, take it on holiday etc. and I don't think I could do that on the gixxer.

Yep they are a bit vibey, my K5 vibrates the mirrors during hard acceleration.

As for comfort, you'd be surprised, I have an older K5 750, and its way more comfy than my SV ever was.

I've done 4 decent trips on it now.

1 x Trip around Republic of Ireland
1 x Trip to Scotland for GM1, including riding from Loch Lommond all the way back to somerset in one day
1 x Trip to Normandy
1 x Trip through france to Spain

OK on the spain trip I was tired, but I didnt really ache that badly.

I've commuted to work on it and had some brilliant Org rideouts on it to. The only thing I havent done is a track day on it.

You need to approach riding a 4 in a different way and get out of the "twin" mentality. It does take a little while to get your head around it though. Dont right off the IL4 just yet, maybe go get another test ride.

You looking to buy new or 2nd hand, if so you can get a K4/K5 750 for sensible money now and its hell of a lot of bike for it.

I'd echo the comments on the Duke servicing, do your research, talk to some owners and dealers before you right them off as being unreliable or expensive to run. My g/f has a 749S, sublime bike to ride.

mikerj 16-09-10 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyrod (Post 2345083)
RSV1000 twin - bigger motor than I wanted as I don't get loyalty points at A18 Tyres. Otherwise everything I'd want, but not Japanese, and neither is the...

Firestorm SP2? It's a V twin and fixes your "not Japanese" problem (which isn't a problem at all for the Aprilia IMO), though obviously it's still a 1 litre bike.

rob13 16-09-10 04:42 PM

I didn't think the 675 felt like the SV at all. The brakes and suspension are light years ahead and the engine is more like an electric bike as the power seems so linear. It does love to rev but it pulls from low revs too. Had a massive grin after i had ridden the R variant.

fizzwheel 16-09-10 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikerj (Post 2371650)
Firestorm SP2? It's a V twin and fixes your "not Japanese" problem (which isn't a problem at all for the Aprilia IMO), though obviously it's still a 1 litre bike.

Thirsty beasts though arent they... ragged hard returns about the same as the 848 does to a tankful...

davepreston 16-09-10 05:25 PM

due to the thread title
bmw gs ;)

ethariel 16-09-10 05:36 PM

Surprised no one has pitched in with the 'Join the Trumpet Club' yet :)

pookie 16-09-10 06:12 PM

Why not stick with an sv and get a sv1000s. Its pointy, better suspension and also a vtwin. Great bang for buck plenty of support on the forums. Ride is more upright compared to the supersports and loads of torque :)

Tim in Belgium 16-09-10 07:35 PM

Out of interest what age GSX-R 750 was it? The K6 on have adjustable pegs, those few cms of adjustability make a huge difference to comfort, much more than I expected.

Personally I find the 750 a bit too much on the road, great on track, but rarely on the road do you get to WOT (wide open throttle) it. I used to love spanking the SV within an inch of its life to get anywhere.

For my next road bike I'd consider something in the 80-100 ish horse range but torquey, an 1100 monster, perhaps the new Norton, a Griso, Ducati 749, Speed Triple, I don't know, I'll worry about that bridge if and when I come to it.

johnnyrod 17-09-10 10:17 AM

Holy resurrected thread, Batman! Thanks for your thoguths guys. I'm only going off what I find, and trolling forums e.g. Ducatisti, so from peopel who own them. Where to begin...

GXSR750 was a K9 or L0 (not sure, same thing), I hear the K5-ish is better but ideally am after something almost new. BMW GS, no way, if the engine is anything like the R1200S you can keep it, plus it isn't anything like a sports bike. I know some people love them, I don't, ta though anyway! 675 feels like my SV, which is fairly breathed upon all over. You're right, the 675 isn't much like a stock SV. SP1/2, maybe but they're like hen's teeth, not too new, and from reviews (yeah I know, can't find one local to see), "single minded" i.e. take your ass home in a carrier bag after a couple of hours. 848 yes better than the older Dukes but the fuel range figures are fom the Ducati forum, people seemed pretty well agreed on the sub-100 range, and some of th build quality stories were a big worry. I'm with you Tim in that I do like a bike that you feel you can ride hard, when I've had fast bikes before you do feel a bit like you're wasting your time unless you're well into three figures!

fizzwheel 17-09-10 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyrod (Post 2372081)
GXSR750 was a K9 or L0 (not sure, same thing), I hear the K5-ish is better but ideally am after something almost new.

I know what you mean, but I've seen alot of 2nd hand K5's in dealers with low miles on, I'm talking 3 - 5K on them.

The motors are pretty much bullet proof and I've found with mine it seems alot less corrosion resistant than my SV was, but then I have looked after it a little better and it hasnt seen so many salty roads.

The motor in my K5 didnt really begin to feel loose and run in till I'd put some miles into it, if you find one, I'd really recommend you get a test ride.

Liz's 749S gives roughly a 100 miles to tankful. Ridden a little more gently or when she was commuting on it, it will give 120 miles to a tankful so not all bad, just depends on how you ride it.