SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   memories (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=126588)

Mej 27-02-09 05:11 PM

Re: memories

Quote:

Originally Posted by anna (Post 1801666)
.. thats very interesting that memory is attached to moving. Is that really true??? ....my short term memory is rubbish. :rolleyes:

I think that if you have been through some harsh times it makes you turn inwards more then most others. Perhaps an escape from what is going on in your surroundings and finding a happier place.

There are some memories that I have that I sincerly wish I could erase. Sadly memory doesnt work that way and the only way to deal with them is to find a positive angle to them.

Mark I think you more then most have lived to the max and so your memories are going to be plentiful. :grouphug:

+1 everyone goes through bad times, some worst than others, i think thats why some people turn to drink/drugs, i know a few people who have done this, some recovered and some are still at it.

keith_d 27-02-09 05:20 PM

Damn, I think there's another cliche coming...

Of course we mostly remember the good bits. The boring days and most of the crap bits get forgotten. Otherwise we'd all be quite mad.... gibber, gibber...

Keith.

Mej 27-02-09 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith_d (Post 1801701)
Damn, I think there's another cliche coming...

Of course we mostly remember the good bits. The boring days and most of the crap bits get forgotten. Otherwise we'd all be quite mad.... gibber, gibber...

Keith.

Did something about it in Psychology where if you actually think about it most of the things you can remember well from childhood are things related to trauma, apparently trauma inprints things on the mind.

An example would be 9/11 most people can remember what they were doing when they found out about it. Or pain related things.

Although for instance my christmases were good when i was younger i cant really remember too many of the earlier ones.

vixis 28-02-09 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed (Post 1801612)
The other side of the coin.

I did not have a happy childhood and my teenage years were little better. You'd be surprised at the abuse that went on behind the doors of what looked like an affluent London suburban household. I still wonder whether I see things darker than they really were. I repeatedly come to the conclusion that I don't and that my bitter memories of my father - still so raw after 40 years - are deserved and justified.

Funny really, because it got so bad not that long ago that I had counselling for it. The counsellor encouraged me to confront these issues so I could relax about them, but I can't, and so I try not to think about them, but I can't do that either, so I go round in circles.

Life only got better when I left for good in 1982, aged 21. I should have done it years before - I had the chance to emigrate to the USA, I turned it down. Ah well:rolleyes:

Not surprised Ed, but sorry to hear you experienced it. My Dad was also an *expletive*. I say that makes us stronger, even though its a sucky way to do it, and we end up with more compassion for others :)