SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   East Anglian Revolution (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   'Ere 'ere is the EAR Megathread (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=140613)

kellyjo 16-10-09 10:08 AM

Re: 'Ere 'ere is the EAR Megathread

Thanks, feel better now, you really are very cuddly :-)
As a single mum being ill cant affect you, in fact im sure the little ones realise you are below par so act up more, so it has to be business as normal, im just REALLY annoyed that now i dont feel like servicing the bike!
And to top it off, the postie has just been and still hasnt brought my filter wrench for me which was ordered monday, blast!!!

Skip 16-10-09 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyjo (Post 2066104)
Thanks, feel better now, you really are very cuddly :-)
As a single mum being ill cant affect you, in fact im sure the little ones realise you are below par so act up more, so it has to be business as normal, im just REALLY annoyed that now i dont feel like servicing the bike!
And to top it off, the postie has just been and still hasnt brought my filter wrench for me which was ordered monday, blast!!!

I am skin and bone so I doubt it! :lol:

Yes that does worry me - being ill with a littl'un around - you have to keep going - thankfully I have Mrs Skip to do that :lol:

Rob969 16-10-09 11:31 AM

try been full of cold and having to move house on monday, i'm not looking forward to it at all.

Rob969 16-10-09 12:44 PM

couldn't be bothered with any packing so fitted an exhaust hanger instead.

kellyjo 16-10-09 02:35 PM

Time much better spent, looks nice!

Aaaaattttcccchhhhoooooo!! Ooh, excuse me :smt086

maviczap 16-10-09 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob969 (Post 2066306)
couldn't be bothered with any packing so fitted an exhaust hanger instead.

Is that the hanger Lucas was flogging? Looks good

Sean_C 16-10-09 03:57 PM

8 days til restriction ends :D

Rob969 16-10-09 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2066462)
Is that the hanger Lucas was flogging? Looks good

yeah thought it'd be rude not buy it seen as though its the same colour as my bike. Plus i managed to get it for £12.50 so it was a bargain to. Having someone on the back only slows you down anyway

Seggons 16-10-09 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean_C (Post 2066633)

Meh, I've got to wait 22 days. :(

Rob969 16-10-09 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seggons (Post 2066706)

Just in time for the crap weather...... i think we should have a vote on if you should leave the restriction in until the weather gets better:D

maviczap 16-10-09 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob969 (Post 2066812)
Just in time for the crap weather...... i think we should have a vote on if you should leave the restriction in until the weather gets better:D

Nah, if it's a dry winter the roads can be great, once they've been cleaned a few times by the rain. Just need to remember to give your tyres a bit extra time to warm up

Seggons 16-10-09 06:41 PM

I want to be able to say I've done the full 2 years. :D

kellyjo 17-10-09 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2066821)
Just need to remember to give your tyres a bit extra time to warm up

Obviously this is my first winter riding and i've already noticed a massive change in my tyres (BT014's).
Theyre fine after a couple of miles but for the first 5 mins out it feels like im ice skating, every time i cross a white line the bike feels like it has a major wobble on!!! Im sure this is normal (i hope) cos it does only last a couple of mins, but its a most unpleasant sensation:roll:

petevtwin650 17-10-09 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean_C (Post 2066633)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seggons (Post 2066706)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seggons (Post 2066839)
I want to be able to say I've done the full 2 years. :D

Yeh, you pussies are driving your cars these days, so it don't matter anyway :D:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyjo (Post 2067336)
Obviously this is my first winter riding and i've already noticed a massive change in my tyres (BT014's).
Theyre fine after a couple of miles but for the first 5 mins out it feels like im ice skating, every time i cross a white line the bike feels like it has a major wobble on!!! Im sure this is normal (i hope) cos it does only last a couple of mins, but its a most unpleasant sensation:roll:

I had 014s once on the Sv. didn't like them and found they didn't grip too well in the wet, but that may have just been me. Luckily they only lasted 1400 miles.

maviczap 17-10-09 08:41 AM

Kellyjo it is a an SV thing I think. Mine was like this, especially bad before I got rid of the Metzeller Z4's and improved a lot more once I'd changed the front fork springs to Hagon ones, with heavier fork oil. Although it still picks up on lines in the road at slow speeds
I've got Z6's now, much better than the Z4's
How worn are your tyres? That might be another factor, although I don't think the BT014's had any good write ups.
Nothing will stop them slithering on white lines or overbanding, just try not to ride on these bits

kellyjo 17-10-09 09:30 AM

My rear has only done 3k and needs replacing already :-( Id like to change them both but the front is pretty new. Also, everyone you speak to recommends something different - i really need to find something thats gonna last 8/9k miles.
Ive not had much experience of BT014s in the wet, but what i have done i felt quite comfortable with, although i didn't lean the bike anyhere near as much then as i do now \\:D/ Through the summer theyve been fab though, getting much warmer and sticky than Jeffs Dunlops :D and i have learned to trust them.

petevtwin650 17-10-09 09:36 AM

I know it's expensive but you might rue the day if you don't get rid of those 14's

I use Pilot Road 2's but a lot of peeps swear by Avon Storms, and the new Dunlop Roadsmarts is it?, are well thought of too. Personally I would see which were the cheapest of the 3 and fit them.

maviczap 17-10-09 09:42 AM

Z6's get a good write up too, I've no experience of the others that Petevtwin has mentioned although they get good writeups
Z6's have a reputation for good milages as well. They still give good grip too
Yer pays ur money you takes your choice

Sean_C 17-10-09 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petevtwin650 (Post 2067364)
Yeh, you pussies are driving your cars these days, so it don't matter anyway :D:D

Pfft.

If I biked to Liverpool I wouldn't be able to bike back :p

Also, I'd recommend avon storms. I found mine cheap on ebay.

Seggons 17-10-09 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean_C (Post 2067412)
If I biked to Liverpool I wouldn't be able to bike back :p

It's strange how I have the same reason for going in the car. :lol:

Skip 17-10-09 01:03 PM

I liked Z6s but Avon Storms are awesome - I will be fitting some to the 1000 when the BT021s are worn out

kellyjo 25-10-09 07:55 AM

Congratulations Sean:smt031

How good is full power feeling??

Sean_C 25-10-09 07:58 AM

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

^^ that good :)

Skip 25-10-09 08:05 AM

Nice one Sean - dont forget with great power (on an SV??!) comes great responsibility! :lol:

Sean_C 25-10-09 08:16 AM

My riding is a lot different to whenever I was last on a rideout. I ridewithin my means, but I'm also a lot better now :p

kellyjo 25-10-09 05:37 PM

Ok it's stupid question time again folks, please forgive me!!!!

Im replacing the chain and sprockets next week and whilst i was just having a bit of a fiddle (with the bike!!) i thought i'd take the front sprocket cover off and have a little look underneath just to make sure there werent going to be any nasty surprises.
The problem is this - how on earth do i get to the bolts to unscrew them?? I cant get a spanner in there and havent got a socket long enough and narrow enough to fit in the recess so now my brains gone to mush and i dont know what to do :-(

Answers on a postcard please to.....me!!!:-)

davy 25-10-09 06:04 PM

I just did that job on my bike Kellojo, I am sure I used an 8mm 1/4" drive socekt to get in there.

kellyjo 25-10-09 07:35 PM

Yes, unless im missing the obvious in the garage we havent got any 1/4" sockets, i'll be having words with my OH when he gets in from work around 3am and be telling him its just not good enough!!
No 'nookie' til i get the correct tools :-)

Anyway Davy, where in cambs are you? I dont recall seeing you in these 'EAR' parts before (like my pun? :-))

Sean_C 25-10-09 08:09 PM

5 hours of biking today :D And pretty much managed to avoid rain too. Full power is so much better. I don't go much quicker, but I can overtake easily, and it accelerates- which is an entirely new sensation :p

And it does sound rather good hammering it up to 10k rpm..

davy 25-10-09 08:14 PM

Near Peterborough here, have been on ride-outs last year, but was made redundant at xmas and just about getting back to noraml here now, so bike is having money spent on her again..lol

kellyjo 25-10-09 08:39 PM

Wow, another orger just up the road! Hope youre gonna make it to the xmas meet, details to follow... I'm often riding around the town, if you see my faired red curvy and my OHs faired silver curvy please make sure you say hello!! x

Ooh toast and marmites ready, yum!!

maviczap 25-10-09 08:54 PM

Kellyjo,
Once you've got the sprocket cover off, then you're going to have to take the clutch worm drive off, so that you can get to the front sprocket retaining nut. 2 x 10mm nuts I think, or maybe 8mm

This is a 32mm jobbie, so you'll need to get hold of one of these, as most socket sets don't go that big. You can buy them singularly from a good tool shop.

Don't forget that the nut has a tab washer to stop it coming undone, so you'll have to bend the tab back with a small screwdriver and a small hammer.

Otherwise you'll find it impossible to remove the nut!!!!

Leave the chain in places until you've loosened the front sprocket nut, as you can lock the drive in gear to stop the sprocket spinning round.

petevtwin650 25-10-09 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyjo (Post 2075941)
Ok it's stupid question time again folks, please forgive me!!!!

Im replacing the chain and sprockets next week

Sorry if you already know it KJ, but the chain will need riveting unless you are taking the swingarm out too.

petevtwin650 25-10-09 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean_C (Post 2075609)
My riding is a lot different to whenever I was last on a rideout. I ridewithin my means, but I'm also a lot better now :p

If we all rode within our means, how boring..............and slow.............. would that be.:)

Seems like far more than 2 years, Sean. Bet you shave now and everything :p:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by davy (Post 2076113)
Near Peterborough here, have been on ride-outs last year, but was made redundant at xmas and just about getting back to noraml here now, so bike is having money spent on her again..lol

Davy! Been a while. Sorry things have been cr@p for you :(

kellyjo 25-10-09 10:05 PM

Thanks for the advice guys but i already knew all that cos ive been having some early nights with mr. Haynes and his famous manual :-)

Im actually going to be doing the job at my bike maintenance course session at Stamford College but i dont trust them to have everything i need which is why i wanted to have a look first!!
Id already decided to buy a new lock washer just in case the old one wasnt re-useable and ive checked theyve got the tool needed for the rivets, and i was going to take my own 32mm socket and torque wrench just in case they dont have them.

I actually practised it last week on their fireblade (s'alright, no ones gonna be riding it :-)) but seeing as im going to be 30 miles from home and have only 2 hours to do it i need to make sure i can get it all done cos otherwise i wont be able to get home again!!
Luckily there are two very experienced mechanics tutors to help :-) Im having such a ball though im really tempted to do the full time course next year, and its really great that they're happy to let us work on our own bikes, its just a shame its only a 6 week course!!

Sean_C 25-10-09 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petevtwin650 (Post 2076220)
If we all rode within our means, how boring..............and slow.............. would that be.:)

Seems like far more than 2 years, Sean. Bet you shave now and everything :p:p

I said I ride with my means, not that I don't ride fast :p ;) SV still gets its neck wrung...

petevtwin650 25-10-09 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean_C (Post 2076253)
I said I ride with my means, not that I don't ride fast :p ;) SV still gets its neck wrung...

I was more refering to my means, Sean. :oops:

Sean_C 26-10-09 06:42 AM

Still very modest then Pete!

Skip 12-11-09 10:15 AM

Not much that's mega about our megathread! :lol:

Just to type something out - my poor bike hasn't been ridden in about 2 weeks and still has the last 2 months worth of muck on it - poor thing.

I would bring it to work but its been cold and damp on the roads and the lure of the cage is too strong! (Its not like I have a nice route to enjoy anyway - and its no quicker)

Just rambling on anyway... :p

petevtwin650 12-11-09 12:27 PM

As you saw, we were out both days last weekend. Bonus. New tyres tomorrow. Another set of PR2s.

So how come you haven't cleaned your new toy? I can understand not riding it, but no excuses young man!