SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   The Veg Plot. (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=235548)

redtrummy 01-04-24 07:53 PM

Re: The Veg Plot.

Ground still cold here. Soil very heavy so I have planted loads of seeds in pots in the utility room hoping things will get warmer, placed in a large box with a tray heater underneath. onions shallots have been set outside and the last years planted garlic going strong. However the earth is too heavy to turn. I could not keep on top of the garden last year so it now needs digging as twitch has taken over

garynortheast 12-04-24 09:22 PM

I now have a bench full of pots with sprouting seeds in my greenhouse. At long last my tomato seeds have germinated. I'm going to need a day spent potting stuff on shortly.

I started pulling compost out of my oldest pallet compost bin this afternoon, and mulched one of my raised beds, both greenhouse beds, and piled a load up around my rhubarb. I shall leave the worms to do the work of incorporating it into the soil for me. Hopefully I can get the rest of the beds mulched over the next few days.

Everything is starting to sprout like mad now. My elephant garlic is now showing above ground. A few more sunny days and it'll take off.

I'm still eating last years garden produce from the freezer and have also been eating the re-awakened swiss chard as well as purple sprouting, and white sprouting broccoli. The leaves off the broccoli make tasty greens too, and my red russian kale is still giving my a small harvest. I'm hoping to have even more produce over the next twelve months as I now have the beds properly organised and a functioning greenhouse.

Sir Trev 29-04-24 06:26 PM

My spuds are now in but my flip was the ground soggy! Thankfully the forecast is good for a few days so with luck it'll warm up a bit to reduce the risk of the tubers rotting off before they start growing.

Will get some beetroot seeds sown this coming weekend it it's dried out a bit, and sow some pumpkin seeds in pots. The leek seedlings have been *****ed out/potted on now and the tomatoes have proper leaves. The onions all seem quite happy but as usual thd local moggies/badger/fox have been digging holes in the bed I sowed with parsnips. Every year the same - always the parsnip bed! May have to sow more in pots to catch up and fill in the gaps.

redtrummy 30-04-24 02:07 PM

Help! Anyone with any advice on how to get rid of Moles? Humanly, (without killing), I had success with Jeyes fluid down the hole in the past but this blighter I think has manned the barricades and refuses to budge. Been and prepped a bit of ground for a row of carrots and parsnips - now having a beer. Ran self levelling compo over the new conservatory floor this morning so little energy left for today. Think I will have another beer just to keep me occupied.

Sir Trev 30-04-24 05:33 PM

Seem to remember Jasper Carrott tried a few suggestions... Have a look on YouTube as it's bound to be on there.

redtrummy 30-04-24 06:46 PM

!Remember that! Saw JC a couple of times at a local Folk Club, seem to remember cost 35p to get in - he was so funny in a small room. Sister fell off her chair from laughter - she was the brunt of a lot of jokes after that Now where did I put that 12 bore !