SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   First Bike, Seems like a wrong choice...Any advice please? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=146631)

thulfi 14-02-10 02:17 PM

Re: First Bike, Seems like a wrong choice...Any advice please?

I think those who jumped from a 125 to 500cc in training never forget that initial "ohh sweet mother this is amazing" feeling you get when u pull away at the throttle on a 500.

I actually found the 500 much easier to ride than those suzuki GS125's we had to cbt on. Now, I see 125's whizzing around on the road and am actually scared for them. I wouldn't feel comfy riding a geared 125 on the road.

My first bike was an SV650, and it was perfect. Also, everyone goes on about the throttle, but don;t forget the clutch control as well. I got used to keeping the revs well up and controlling the clutch tightly.

Many people drop the 500's in training, especially on figure of 8's. I think this is because they're scared of applying to much throttle, so they under do the throttle, clutch is out too far, bike stalls whilst leaning, down they go. I found my throttle 'sense' came after I'd passed, and had got used to the bike I got.

Throttle on to a decent rev, let clutch out gently, hold it steady, and work your way around the course. Piece of pie, then you'll pass, and the real learning will start. Good luck mate.

dizzyblonde 14-02-10 02:34 PM

125s are jerky, snatchy and awful. My instructor was nervous to put me on a larger machine, as my hatred for his 125 came out as if I rode it crap. Even though I had my own 125 parked in his car park, that was better to ride.
Reluctantly he handed me the keys of his GS in a car park, whilst eating butties sat on a wall. I'd told him I'd change his mind if he'd put faith in my riding, and sure enough I showed him figure of 8s were much more a piece of cake than the piece of crap I'd been on previously. He was much happier and immediately got us on the road.

'' Actually your backside does look much better on that bike '' he proclaimed, which I had to laugh at, and sighed a relief because to me that comment was confidence boosting.
And the six ft odd bloke was having riding the RS thing he had to swap onto :-)

Larger machines are smoother in every sense of the word, very helpful when learning.
EEE happy dayz :-)

metalmonkey 14-02-10 02:47 PM

I did my DAS, in between I rode a 125 which I covered about 2500 miles on while I owned it...

I went and paid for SV before I even took my test, I walked in the bike shop I was like I would like that please:cool: When I first got on my bike I was like, oh what have I do.

I rode 80 miles the first day I got it, then quickly ran in it and got it serviced @ 600 miles. As they say the rest is history, 2 1/2 years later 16500 miles I would say I would l love my bike its intense.

Dude just stick with it and ride and ride, oh ride some more. Take your time. You ride the bike, the bike doesn't ride you. Relax and :D its fun you know.

Speaking of bikes I need to go fiddle with mine.

airbornesnake 14-02-10 02:48 PM

Many thanks for all the advice/comments. Sounds like I haven't made a terrible decision with regards to my bike choice after all! As advised, I'll do my test first, then take things slowly from there. I'll get some practice on the SV on a big park or something before venturing on to the road.

And for those who asked, I'm 21yo and live in Southampton. I'm aware that I can opt for the full DAS however my confidence at the moment is rock bottom to the extent that, doing the slalom on a 500cc bike is near unthinkable! Throttle sense is not an issue as I'm not keen on going very quickly just yet however my clutch control is atrocious!!

metalmonkey 14-02-10 02:52 PM

Stop thinking about how bad things are...

Take your weakness and make them the strenghts, relax you ride a bike better that way. One thing at a time!

thulfi 14-02-10 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbornesnake (Post 2181685)
...however my clutch control is atrocious!!

The best advice my instructor told me was that there is no rush letting the clutch out. Keep it tight, control the bike, and release it slowly (at slow speeds/tight turns/etc).

Also make contact with the clutch lever at the end of the lever. You get better control that way. And using a few fingers only seems to help as well.
You'll get the hang of it soon, and be amazed how easy it all really is!

zsv650 14-02-10 03:13 PM

the sv is easier to ride than 125's don't worry about it just take it steady it's a peice of **** riding bike's once it click's.

dizzyblonde 14-02-10 03:16 PM

Quote:

And for those who asked, I'm 21yo and live in Southampton. I'm aware that I can opt for the full DAS however my confidence at the moment is rock bottom to the extent that, doing the slalom on a 500cc bike is near unthinkable! Throttle sense is not an issue as I'm not keen on going very quickly just yet however my clutch control is atrocious!!

Maybe its the bike you are learning on? I was always rubbish with the schools 125 but on my bike was fine, maybe as it was set up for me:p

As for the DAS, IIRC you have to pass that on no less than 46BHP, which is very little difference to 33 BHP restricted SV power wise. You'll still have your 'big bike' at home to get used to, so may as well get used to one you are allowed to make and learn mistakes on first;)
If its any inspiration I did my test four times with my DAS. Nowt wrong with anything I'd learnt, or indeed as the third examiner said, technically every thing is in place just your nerves are so bad, its those that are failing you. That was a fair few years ago, and is a distant memory.

Good luck, sure whatever you do will be fine.

Stu 14-02-10 03:18 PM

Quote:

doing the slalom on a 500cc bike is near unthinkable! Throttle sense is not an issue as I'm not keen on going very quickly just yet however my clutch control is atrocious!!

Have you actually tried it? Maybe you'll be like Dizzy & find it easier than a 125?

I don't want to rush you into anything you're not comfortable with.

I did my CBT on a 500cc & loved it. There's plenty on here that can't wait for there 2 yr restriction to end - but they have no choice.

Drew Carey 14-02-10 03:49 PM

+1 to the above comments, I actually found the 500 smoother, easier clutch control, better brakes etc. Made it easier to ride....the main benefit I could only see of a 125 is the weight and height.

But just remember, do whatever you are comfortable with, no more no less......I promise you this.....you will look back at this thread in 6 months time and realise that doing your test and getting an SV is the best thing you have ever done. PROMISE!!! :D