SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Public Sector Pay Cuts (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=154229)

G 05-07-10 07:09 PM

Re: Public Sector Pay Cuts

Surestart is defo part of the nhs I deal with them quite a lot.

I had a 12.5% pay cut this time last year. On the bright side I resigned today.

Specialone 05-07-10 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 2312201)

New jobbie???
I remember you mentioning you was hoping for a new one.

ravingdavis 05-07-10 07:44 PM

Quote:

Good on you mate, I remember you saying how much you hated that job.

Dave20046 05-07-10 07:56 PM

Quote:

Good luck G-man

steveg 05-07-10 08:44 PM

Things are very tight at the moment ( work for local gov )

At least my key project is rolling out VMware which is really interesting and will be good experience for CV

Just getting as much as I can out of current job , as don't see a long time career in LG at the moment , just glad to get have a job @ the moment

My job got a 10% cut after JE however protected and now soon start another position which is slightly better paid , but for how long ?

Cheers Steve

rigor 05-07-10 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Speirs (Post 2312053)
Amazing!!! 28% that earn lower than £45k will see pay cuts.
The 72% that earn more than £45k will see increases or stay the same.

Unbelievable!!!

Wow, I haven't seen an article mis-read in such a big way in a long time!

Quote:

Originally Posted by "The Article
The move follows a lengthy review of council salaries and while 72 per cent will see either an increase in their pay or the rate remain the same, 28 per cent will see a reduction.

The changes will affect workers at the council's lowest pay rate of £12,145 up to those on £45,990.

Read that and see if it bears any relation to what you wrote....

Sir Trev 05-07-10 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwilky (Post 2312080)
Private industry has for some time had sod all help, many are lucky to still have jobs, have been on pay freezes, redundancies etc. Years ago, public industry jobs lagged behind on pay but with the benefit of a job for life and decent pension.

These days the public industries have overtaken the private, but maintained the added benefits. I am not surprised the axe is finally been wielded.

Welcome to the real world public servants!!! Those of us in industry have been shafted for years in this way.

***Do NOT take this the wrong way*** but, the civil servants (MoD civilians) who I had to try and work with on a large project a year or two back thought they were untouchable, did sod all work, were miles behind, refused to change anything, clock watched, and had guaranteed pay rises. Those of us busting our hump trying to make the project work with very little help were getting pay cuts, working crazy hours to justify not being laid off and felt very hard done by. I'm NOT saying all civil servants take this attitude but the inefficiency and waste in this particular department was unbeliveable.

Good luck to anyone hit by these cuts. I know exactly what it's like for you but you've had it comparatively easy for years I'm afraid.

Philbo 05-07-10 10:54 PM

This is a bit of a long shot, but technically possible...The other option available is to resign, stating that she believes a repudiatory breach of contract has been made and that she considers herself to have been constructively dismissed. Then she can claim them for unfair dismissal. There is case law to back this exact issue, forced reduction in pay, Industrial Rubber Products v Gillon (1977) IRLR389

Then again, it's probably not much of an option without another job to go to.

And just to stick up for public sector workers, more specifically Teachers. My other half is a Secondary Teacher, and yes she gets good holidays and a decent pension, BUT considering her qualifications and experience, her pay IS comparable to what she could expect with a career in the private sector. If you want your children to be educated by monkeys, then by all means pay peanuts. What people don't see is the amount of work Teachers bring home with them. Some weeks she'll spend two or threes full evenings marking/reviewing courses/organising school trips. Other weeks it's four weekday evenings, and Saturday, and Sunday. She EARNS every minute of her holidays, and every penny of her pension.

My **** poor private sector pension might just give me enough money to buy a legal shotgun and hold up a bank for my retirement. Maybe we should be asking "where's our final salary scheme", rather than clapping like jealous children at the prospect of others loosing their retirement plans.

Milky Bar Kid 06-07-10 01:36 AM

Hmm, I totally understand where those in the private sector are coming from when they talk about how they had to put up with it and I agree to a certain extent but I think people are more annoyed at the fact that the "minions" are having their wages cut whilst the big wigs still get ridiculously over inflated wages.

And Shell, you are lucky you are on the old pension scheme, mines jumps more than yours cos they are putting us all on a level playing field..... (yet we will get less money back...)

Nelson 06-07-10 06:46 AM

As far as I'm aware the police pension scheme isn't getting changed yet. There's loads of rumours going around, but nothing concrete. They've been talking about taxing commutations since the early 90's and still not done it yet. MBK and Shelly, have you got anything to document what you're saying, or you believing the scaremongering?

Traditionally the Tories have been good to the Police. I'll wait to see something concrete before I start to worry...