SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   TPS Adjustment Step-by-Step Pictorial Guide (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=55459)

thor 09-11-05 02:52 PM

Would love to! However, I am restricted to weekends only, and can make no gaurentees as when I might be free. :(

TorqueAddict 24-04-06 02:39 AM

I posted this information in another thread, but thought it would be useful in this thread too...

Just in case anyone is thinking about trying this but not sure... Here are my observations:

1. Very easy to do, thanks to coombest! :notworthy:

2. After the adjustment, my bike is SIGNIFICANTLY less jerky, especially at low speeds. It makes an OBVIOUS difference (at least it did on my bike).

3. [EDIT] Please do not assume that your bike will arrive with the TPS correctly adjusted by Suzuki. Mine was "turning up" the fuel mix at about 3200 RPM -- it's basically a brand new bike! (The adjustment is to reset this transition point to about 1450 RPM.)

4. Instead of using wire, I used an ordinary smallish paperclip, which I trimmed into a U-shape about 3/4 inch long. It actually SNAPPED right into the connector like it was custom-made!

5. In case you aren't aware of the difference, you have to use a SECURITY torx bit -- that means that there is a hole in the top of the bit which can accomodate a small pin. For those in the states, my local Sears had a set of 8 such bits in stock for $9.99.

6. A 1/4" socket can be used to grab the security torx bit and with a small ratcheting handle (1/4" drive) will give you plenty of room to turn that little screw without damaging anything. It's really pretty fool-proof with the right tools.

7. TRY IT, YOU WON'T REGRET IT!

Sid Squid 24-04-06 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorqueAddict
3. Those who have said that it ships from Suzuki adjusted correctly, but then becomes poorly adjusted over time are dead wrong.

Thank you for your feedback :thumbsup:

Now how many SVs have you fiddled with? Keep the dimissive assumptions to yourself ta.

TorqueAddict 24-04-06 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Quote:

3. Those who have said that it ships from Suzuki adjusted correctly, but then becomes poorly adjusted over time are dead wrong.

Now how many SVs have you fiddled with? Keep the dimissive assumptions to yourself ta.

Gotcha -- I overstated it. What I should have said is "don't assume that your new bike arrives with the TPS adjusted correctly by Suzuki, cause mine didn't!" :oops:

Richie 24-04-06 05:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Quote:

Gotcha -- I overstated it. What I should have said is "don't assume that your new bike arrives with the TPS adjusted correctly by Suzuki, cause mine didn't!" :oops:

Or Did mine. :wink:

Sid Squid 24-04-06 07:26 PM

Quote:

Cool, :lol: , They are often out of adjustment at very low miles, but as stated the adjustment changes dramatically quickly, as you have noted the amount of movement required to make a significant change is very, very small.

tigersaw 26-04-06 03:49 PM

Just done the Adjustment on my year old K5. Following the instructions it was very easy, no problems with cheese screws using the correct tools.

It was initially set at 3100 rpm - since everyone seems to be finding that I doubt that is by accident, more like that is the factory setting. Mines now set at approx 2000 rpm, I could not get it any more precise, even tightening up the screws offsets the adjustment; its so sensitive.

I took it out for the same 20 mile blat before and after. The only thing I have noticed, it may be subtle or just my imagination, is that there is less engine braking. I never had any jerkyness in the first place.

Is this a safe 'mod' to do, with no side effects like increased fuel consumption or other worries?- if so I'll put it back as it was.

cyphertheory 19-05-06 08:07 AM

great mod, made a big difference for my commute into town every day, mine was set at 4200 rpm now just 1800.

Mods please make this sticky?

Thanks

KayDee 19-05-06 11:59 AM

I've just done this mod (er adjustment!), it was set at 3.5k! Now set at 1.5k! Lovely jubly! I wont be able to test untill during the week however as I'm ill!

lukemillar 19-05-06 12:38 PM

Is there a recommended setting from Suzuki for this?