SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   The All New Megathread (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=219927)

Sir Trev 15-06-24 03:11 PM

Re: The All New Megathread

Trev Towers is a mere three miles from the village of Walters Ash, which is the home of the RAF (it was Bomber Command during WW2 and folling the amalgamation of them all it is now simply known as RAF Command). The bad news is that being so close I will no doubt be in the first wave of people vaporised when Mad Vlad realises he cannot win and pushes the red button, but on the plus side... when big occasions happen, like Trooping Ths Colour did today, the planes taking part in the flypast often exit London airspace to the West and go straight over us on their way to a second flypast over RAF command. Not sure where the cargo and tanker planes went but I ran outside in time to see the Typhoons and Hawks come over. Tally ho chaps!!

admin 16-06-24 10:20 AM

We had the annual Cosford airshow last Sunday, so we get to see some interesting planes. RAF Shawbury is also nearby and acts as a base for some of the planes and it's worth going there to catch some of them.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Sir Trev 16-06-24 12:52 PM

My late inlaws lived on Grinshill Hill, a couple of miles north of Shawbury. We were visiting the weekend Shawbury had their open day about 20 years ago and the Red Arrows used the beacon atop Grinshill as one of their lead-in points. They just missed the trees as they screamed overhead which was phenomenal!

garynortheast 16-06-24 07:56 PM

Woah!!! Just watched Dr Who this week!! Russel Davies has really gone for it. Absolutely epic!!

garynortheast 17-06-24 08:22 AM

Morning all. Grey here but supposed to brighten up later today. Going to walk Mabel then get on with clearing the ground in the back garden to build my workshop.

How is the week looking for everyone else?

admin 17-06-24 09:31 AM

Dentist for Mrs Admin and bike service on Wednesday. I've been promised a demo ride while I'm waiting. Not sure whats available but I would like to try something with DCT or even the E-clutch.

garynortheast 17-06-24 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 3143999)
Dentist for Mrs Admin

Hope the dental visit is trouble free John.

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 3143999)
I've been promised a demo ride while I'm waiting. Not sure whats available but I would like to try something with DCT or even the E-clutch.

Be interested to see what you make of either system.

admin 19-06-24 03:57 PM

TA is in for a service so took out a Hornet for a test ride. The shop didn't have anything with DCT or E-clutch to try. I thought it would be Interesting to compare it to my bike considering it's got the same engine.
It's definitely a hooligan machine. Very rapid, weighs nothing but a bit small for me. The acceleration was very addictive especially with the fitted quick shifter. I've not ridden a naked bike for a long time so that may have enhanced the feeling of speed. I wouldn't need anything faster than this. Imagine a 125 with a 750 engine.
Getting back on the TA made for a much more relaxing experience until another difference got my attention, the brakes were so much better on the Hornet, suspension was much firmer too.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

Sir Trev 19-06-24 07:06 PM

Interesting comparison John. One reason I went for the 800RE was the radial brakes, which are excellent. But my suspension, like yours, is very soft. Good for the potholes I'm now used to saying.

admin 20-06-24 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Trev (Post 3144011)
Interesting comparison John. One reason I went for the 800RE was the radial brakes, which are excellent. But my suspension, like yours, is very soft. Good for the potholes I'm now used to saying.

The big wheels on the TA also help iron out potholed roads too. The steering on the Hornet was a tad nervous too, probably a combination of light weight and rake angle but it never felt out of control.