SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Fortress Britain (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=100234)

northwind 17-11-07 02:30 PM

Re: Fortress Britain

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThEGr33k (Post 1343611)
That is quite scary because basiacally if you try to control them through law they can effectivly scare the rulers out of it by saying they are opressing muslims which would advocate a Holy war... Oh dear. Will this religion effectivly bring another world war?

No idea... The real scary thing is the power that religious leaders can have, that's not just an islamic thing of course, but it's enough just to say that something's evil and you can raise a mob. Bit harder to take over the world on that basis... So, not a world war as we know it I think, more massive civil unrest.

But then, maybe we really are going to end up encouraging it... We're not far off supporting a dictator in Pakistan to keep democratically elected Muslims out, and we're probably drifting towards genuinely oppressing muslims in the UK. And half of what the public believes is based on misinformation or misunderstanding anyway, so where's the basis for an understanding? Hell, half of what an awful lot of muslims believe is based on misinformation or misunderstanding.

I dunno, I've just read bits of the book out of irritation, I'm no sociologist.

Smudge 19-11-07 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northwind (Post 1343835)
No idea... The real scary thing is the power that religious leaders can have, that's not just an islamic thing of course, but it's enough just to say that something's evil and you can raise a mob. Bit harder to take over the world on that basis... So, not a world war as we know it I think, more massive civil unrest.

But then, maybe we really are going to end up encouraging it... We're not far off supporting a dictator in Pakistan to keep democratically elected Muslims out, and we're probably drifting toward genuinely oppressing muslims in the UK. And half of what the public believes is based on misinformation or misunderstanding anyway, so where's the basis for an understanding? Hell, half of what an awful lot of muslims believe is based on misinformation or misunderstanding.

I dunno, I've just read bits of the book out of irritation, I'm no sociologist.

i take it you dont live round any muslims then they park on double yellas outside the mosque and the traffic wardens dont touch em its about time we had a fair society i live in a large muslim area and cant wait to see them made to abide by the laws if you cant see what there like dont comment please, i think we'll have a civil war with them before the government will be a bit harder on them, the amount of fly tipping and sh!tty nappies thrown onto the streets is a disgrace ive never know a more inconsiderate race, i have always been proud of my non prejudice views on skin colour but i have changed since living around asians

Baph 19-11-07 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hovis (Post 1341634)
thats because they dont go blowing people up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester666 (Post 1341640)
Hovis quote: thats because they dont go blowing people up

Oklahoma? George 'Dubbya' Bush?

Lets not forget the folks at the IRA too eh?

The whole Muslim debate that's been thrust up in this thread, I've only really been friends with one Muslim. Don't get me wrong, I've known quite a few, but only ever been friends with one Muslim guy whilst I was at college. There's only one way I know how to describe him:

Whenever around other strict Muslims, he "respected" the faith, but he quite happily drunk alcohol & ate bacon infront of his fellow followers. When he wasn't with other Muslims, well, I remember an incident where he signed up to the British arm of the KKK using his real name, address & telephone number, purely because it was good for a giggle.

If I've met a Muslim like that, surely there must be others. Lets not generalise an entire faith eh? When we start doing that, we're no better than the terrorist organisors.

EDIT: Smudge, I've met you, you sound like a reasonable guy. For the people that park on double yellows outside the Mosque, do they block you getting past? Do they cause a danger to kids in the area? If so, the "proper" thing to do would be to write to the council to complain. If they don't act, take the beef up with Plod. Allowing a section of society to get away with breaking the laws because of faith is discrimination. However, I'd probably just let down random tyres whilst they're all inside. ;)

Or is the double yellow contravention more p**sing you off because they get away with it & you don't? TBH, I take my chances, and most of the time, I get away with parking on double yellows. But I only do it with the bike, and always park parallel to the kerb when I do it, so I'm not making an obstruction.

The fly tipping, again, report it. At least it'll get cleared up if you keep reporting it.

(P.S. Before the "you wouldn't do that because you've no idea what it's like" replys, someone tell me what faith the majority of the population of Dewsbury follows please - it's where I grew up. I clearly remember houses being petrol bombed when I was young, and for the most part, that had nothing to do with faith or race).

Smudge 19-11-07 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baph (Post 1345099)
Lets not forget the folks at the IRA too eh?

The whole Muslim debate that's been thrust up in this thread, I've only really been friends with one Muslim. Don't get me wrong, I've known quite a few, but only ever been friends with one Muslim guy whilst I was at college. There's only one way I know how to describe him:

Whenever around other strict Muslims, he "respected" the faith, but he quite happily drunk alcohol & ate bacon in front of his fellow followers. When he wasn't with other Muslims, well, I remember an incident where he signed up to the British arm of the KKK using his real name, address & telephone number, purely because it was good for a giggle.

If I've met a Muslim like that, surely there must be others. Lets not generalize an entire faith eh? When we start doing that, we're no better than the terrorist organizers.

EDIT: Smudge, I've met you, you sound like a reasonable guy. For the people that park on double yellows outside the Mosque, do they block you getting past? Do they cause a danger to kids in the area? If so, the "proper" thing to do would be to write to the council to complain. If they don't act, take the beef up with Plod. Allowing a section of society to get away with breaking the laws because of faith is discrimination. However, I'd probably just let down random tyres whilst they're all inside. ;)

Or is the double yellow contravention more p**sing you off because they get away with it & you don't? TBH, I take my chances, and most of the time, I get away with parking on double yellows. But I only do it with the bike, and always park parallel to the kerb when I do it, so I'm not making an obstruction.

The fly tipping, again, report it. At least it'll get cleared up if you keep reporting it.

(P.S. Before the "you wouldn't do that because you've no idea what it's like" replys, someone tell me what faith the majority of the population of Dewsbury follows please - it's where I grew up. I clearly remember houses being petrol bombed when I was young, and for the most part, that had nothing to do with faith or race).

Baph i don't care about the parking its the way it crosses every boundary the council wont say anything or the plod as they would look like there being racist to ask them to abide by the law, thats why they have there own communities so they can do what they like, did you know my mate Altaf Patel his dad has lived in this country for 37 years and he still doesn't speak a word of English, they have kept there own laws and rules and have just come to feed off of our benefits system and that is nothing to do with there race or religion, why does every other person whose moved here from abroad live among us speak English and follow the laws of our country except muslims, they are so against any other beliefs it makes you wonder why they come west at all, please don't anyone start with the old politically correct anti racist non sense as its not about race or religion its about attitudes to others

northwind 19-11-07 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmudgeK3 (Post 1345073)
i take it you dont live round any muslims then

I wouldn't usuallly do this, but, :rolleyes:. Aye I do, and always have, and by and large they've made better neighbours and friends than the bible-bashers down the road. But then, I wouldn't make assumptions of 1.6 muslims based on the few I've met. The most annoying immigrants I've ever met are northern irish protestants ;) Though that might just be the accent.

If your council is treating people differently from others, that's the fault of the council. Have you ever complained, or do you just blame the muslims who benefit?

You can find a huge number of non english speaking sikhs, buddhists, taoists and hindus in the UK... By no means a muslim trait. A lot of my old customers were chinese, mainly buddhist, and the older generations mostly had only the most basic english- please, thank you. Amazing how much you can say with those three words. Course, it's more obvious with muslims, mainly because there's loads of 'em. And also, maybe because people assume that all these asian immigrants are muslims- not pointing at you here btw.

This is a guess, but I reckon you'd find about the same proportion of non english speaking adults in other religious groups as you do with muslims, just that they're less numerous.