SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   First Bike, Seems like a wrong choice...Any advice please? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=146631)

Stu 14-02-10 08:36 PM

Re: First Bike, Seems like a wrong choice...Any advice please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed (Post 2181965)
Airbornesnake - like others here I started on a 125 and thought I was the bee's knees. Then they let me loose on a 500, and I felt it was huge, far too powerful, how could I ever control this beast, and yet within 15 mins I knew I never wanted to go back to a 125. On passing I bought a SV650S, it was so different to the 500 in every way that I thought I'd never get the hang of it, riding it the 36 miles back from the shop in Stafford to home in Shrewsbury was nerve-wracking. And in no time I loved it. No you haven't done the wrong thing, as Drew says in 6 months time you'll look back and laugh.

That's why I think he should give more than a second thought to doing DAS & not be restricted to 33 for 2 years. But it has to be his choice.

ceeshaw 14-02-10 08:39 PM

Personally, I feel safer on the SV than I ever did on the 125. I feel it gives me more choices when dealing with changing situations on the road.

Sean_C 14-02-10 08:46 PM

In line with what a few others have suggested, and what Stu is saying- I feel safer on my de-restricted SV than I did when it was restricted. Having power to play with when you're up at NSL speeds is a good thing, and it's something you just don't have on a 33bhp SV.

Ed 14-02-10 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 2182014)
That's why I think he should give more than a second thought to doing DAS & not be restricted to 33 for 2 years. But it has to be his choice.

I wasn't paying attention:rolleyes: Yes I agree, oh king. Thought of doing another Government test would appall me though.

davepreston 14-02-10 09:04 PM

also doing your test on the bigger bike (and the lessons before) will prepare you more for the bike youve bought, and tbh it is the best learner/ newby bike on the market imho, forgiving and responsive, whichever way you play it enjoy the learning curve and your new bike

Littlepeahead 15-02-10 08:06 AM

I found the Honda 500 so much easier than the 125 when I did my test, just smoother and better balanced all round. The SV is great fun once you get used to it, and I've recently done some more training which was a good day out as well as giving more confidence so plan for that a few months after you pass your test as by then you'll know what you are struggling with.

timwilky 15-02-10 08:47 AM

I know it is slightly off topic, but relevant to the core subject.

Why did the government of the day halve the learner bike size to a miserable 125. A few weeks ago I had a play on my nephews cg, it was gutless, had appalling brakes and if a 40 tonner is bearing down on you positively dangerous as you had to give it 10 minutes notice that you had twisted the throttle. The 250LC of my youth was a far more suitable learner bike than modern 125s.

Perhaps that was the crux of the problem. People were content to ride them for years on Ls as there was no need to pass your test.

dizzyblonde 15-02-10 09:20 AM

Because the RD of the day would go from 0 to whatever in warp speed and spit you off at a moments notice;-).

Didn't they like the fact that the RD went over 100mph or something? Memory fades me these days, but as Matt was a collector of RDs that topic of convo came up a lot in my house over the years.
No wonder theres so many with non matching frame and engine numbers, seized cranks, and you had to rebuild the engine every week!

The RD and the YPVS used to scare the carp out of me, I daren't ever take the keys off him when he offered..lol!

Sosha 15-02-10 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwilky (Post 2182339)
I know it is slightly off topic, but relevant to the core subject.

Why did the government of the day halve the learner bike size to a miserable 125. A few weeks ago I had a play on my nephews cg, it was gutless, had appalling brakes and if a 40 tonner is bearing down on you positively dangerous as you had to give it 10 minutes notice that you had twisted the throttle. ...

Should have bought a 2t.

Mej 15-02-10 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwilky (Post 2181519)
The SV is not a powerful bike. I know one lass who got an R1 as her first bike. The throttle works in two ways, you just need to know how to turn in away from you.

cutting its balls when you get road legal will have little effect as it really only affects the top end, not how it gets there.

It is a fun bike to learn to ride on, once get over your initial trepidation, you will have a huge smile and wonder what the fuss was all about

+ 1

but putting the restriction is makes a big difference after 8000rpm, accelleration wise, and just cuts top end a bit.