SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   The running thread. (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229193)

garynortheast 07-05-19 09:00 PM

Re: The running thread.

Finally made it out after more than a week! It's just been really busy and difficult to get out and run for the last 7 days. I got out this evening for my short, 3.7 mile loop. Felt so much better for it too, especially after the pretty crap day I've had today.

The Relive video of the route.

garynortheast 10-05-19 01:49 PM

Had to send my lovely, comfy, grippy Higher State Soil Shaker trail shoes back to sportsshoes as they were coming apart after fewer than 200 miles. Sportsshoes.com were great and very quickly offered replacement or credit. I've used the credit and made up the difference to get a pair of these instead.

Shame about the Soil Shakers though as they were some of the most comfortable trail shoes I've ever had.

garynortheast 11-05-19 10:08 AM

Back on with the retired Saucony shoes this morning for a really enjoyable early morning 10 mile run with a canicross friend. Absolutely perfect running conditions too! Hills, woodland, field trails, riverside - what more you could you ask of a route?

Here's the relive video of the run.

daktulos 12-05-19 07:40 PM

I successfully ran a local 10k trail race today. My ankle has been playing up badly for months now. Whether it was the change of shoes, the ankle taping, or the ibuprofen I took, I had no problems with it today. I'm fully expecting it to complain tomorrow, but for now I'm happy :)

garynortheast 12-05-19 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daktulos (Post 3102785)
I successfully ran a local 10k trail race today. My ankle has been playing up badly for months now. Whether it was the change of shoes, the ankle taping, or the ibuprofen I took, I had no problems with it today. I'm fully expecting it to complain tomorrow, but for now I'm happy :)

Great stuff, well done. Trail running is so much kinder on the joints than tarmac. How was your time/pace on the run? Were you happy with it?

dirtydog 12-05-19 08:35 PM

Did my first park run yesterday, not a great time but I'm happy-ish with it. Not bad considering I have barely run the past 2 months.
10k race at Mercedes Benz world in 2 weeks with the eldest daughter

daktulos 12-05-19 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3102789)
Great stuff, well done. Trail running is so much kinder on the joints than tarmac. How was your time/pace on the run? Were you happy with it?

Slower than my fastest time for the course, but I was just happy to finish it. The first three or four km was a mental battle (I *could* just pull out now and walk back) but my pace increased every mile, so I was clearly settling into it. I pushed a bit hard at the end and finished just under 55 minutes, which I'm pretty happy with.

Of course, my wife finished a couple of minutes quicker, but that's fine, too :)

garynortheast 12-05-19 08:44 PM

One of the Canicross Clwyd members has organised a great little event for early June, "A Grand Day out - Train and Run- Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railway". Folk are meeting with their dogs in Blaenau Ffestiniog, getting the steam train into Porthmadog and then running the 20 miles back to Blaenau Ffestiniog.

We have a coach on the train specially reserved for runners and hounds on the way to Porthmadog. The run back will involve going over Cnicht, also known as the Welsh Matterhorn. If the weather stays good it should be a stunning run with some truly spectacular views.

garynortheast 15-05-19 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydog (Post 3102790)
Did my first park run yesterday, not a great time but I'm happy-ish with it. Not bad considering I have barely run the past 2 months.
10k race at Mercedes Benz world in 2 weeks with the eldest daughter

Good stuff, parkrun. "It's a run not a race" as they say. I find them good for giving the weekday running some focus, and allowing you to gauge how times and fitness are doing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daktulos (Post 3102793)
Slower than my fastest time for the course, but I was just happy to finish it. The first three or four km was a mental battle (I *could* just pull out now and walk back) but my pace increased every mile, so I was clearly settling into it. I pushed a bit hard at the end and finished just under 55 minutes, which I'm pretty happy with.

Of course, my wife finished a couple of minutes quicker, but that's fine, too :)

Nothing wrong at all with a 55 minute 10k trail. Pretty respectable time I'd say.

Out for a run around my short loop this morning. Kept it brief in order to try out the new Inov-8 shoes. I didn't want to head out on a long run and find out halfway round that they were rubbing my feet badly. Pleased to say though that they are very comfortable, with loads of grip and feel to them.

daktulos 15-05-19 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3102915)
Nothing wrong at all with a 55 minute 10k trail. Pretty respectable time I'd say.

Out for a run around my short loop this morning. Kept it brief in order to try out the new Inov-8 shoes. I didn't want to head out on a long run and find out halfway round that they were rubbing my feet badly. Pleased to say though that they are very comfortable, with loads of grip and feel to them.

Thanks. How are the shoes? I've had a pair of Inov8s before, but found them a little narrow. I'm looking at replacing my general-purpose shoes (Merrell Trail Gloves) with something a little more forgiving to see if that helps with my ankle.