SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Gripe of the day - What is yours? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=212216)

zsv650s 30-01-19 08:43 PM

Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Icy weather don't fancy binning the svthou so getting serious motorcycle withdrawal:(

shiftin_gear98 31-01-19 07:48 AM

Bloody cold on the bike this morning. When they say freezing fog they aren't ****ing about.

Quite interesting when the inside and outside of your visor simultaneously freeze up whilst travelling at 70 on an unlit duel carriageway with no tail lights visible through the soup.

maviczap 31-01-19 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 (Post 3098526)
Bloody cold on the bike this morning. When they say freezing fog they aren't ****ing about.

Quite interesting when the inside and outside of your visor simultaneously freeze up whilst travelling at 70 on an unlit duel carriageway with no tail lights visible through the soup.

I once drove from Edinburgh to Felixstowe in freezing fog the whole journey, my washer jets froze up, even with neat washer fluid and by the time we got home there was an inch of ice on my wing mirrors. That was an interesting journey in the car, we considered stopping in hotel overnight it was that bad. I wouldn't have attempted it on the bike

Bibio 31-01-19 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 3098527)
I once drove from Edinburgh to Felixstowe in freezing fog the whole journey, my washer jets froze up, even with neat washer fluid and by the time we got home there was an inch of ice on my wing mirrors. That was an interesting journey in the car, we considered stopping in hotel overnight it was that bad. I wouldn't have attempted it on the bike

madman :cool:

i have never understood why they dont wrap a heating wire round the washer jet hoses with a thermostatic switch.

admin 31-01-19 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3098532)

i have never understood why they dont wrap a heating wire round the washer jet hoses with a thermostatic switch.

I've got a 17 plate C-max and the windscreen washer froze up on that the other day. I had a quick look under the bonnet and found that there are electrical connections to the jets! I assume that they're heaters. My problem was further downstream nearer the tank. I just let it thaw by itself.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

andrewsmith 31-01-19 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 3098534)
I've got a 17 plate C-max and the windscreen washer froze up on that the other day. I had a quick look under the bonnet and found that there are electrical connections to the jets! I assume that they're heaters. My problem was further downstream nearer the tank. I just let it thaw by itself.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

They have my connect has got the same system. Mine was a case of the water freezing out of the mix. Dumped a load of near neat in this morning to fix it

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

maviczap 31-01-19 03:48 PM

Quote:

Indeed, and that was my old Saab 900, so you'd have thought they'd have fitted some kind of heater, although it may had had something, and I never knew about it?

It was over 20 years ago & I wasn't as mechanically aware as I am now, although I only know a little bit more than I did then :D

SV650rules 31-01-19 04:10 PM

I use the Comma X-treme -26C in cars, don't even bother with anything less than -15 as it will freeze at just below zero. The methanol evaporates off and then it freezes.

You can add Methylated spirits to screenwash which does a good job.

Luckypants 31-01-19 04:19 PM

Quote:

They do. I have heated washer nozzles on this car and previous one. Never had a problem with iced up washer jets with them.

Adam Ef 31-01-19 04:41 PM

Funnily enough the jets were the one thing that wasn't frozen on my van this morning. Getting in the doors was the problem though. All frozen solid and the locks too. My friend used to work for Nissan and said this time of year they were constantly replacing door handles where people had pulled them off trying to open frozen doors.

I usually have to climb in through the back of my van and kick the doors open from the inside.

Had the heaters on full all day today and was still cold driving. Usually it gets too hot pretty quickly. It has nothing fancy at all, no turbo, manual windows etc, but the one things that's always been great on it is the heat you get out of the engine fairly fast after start up.