SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Boots with laces. (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=239545)

svenrico 14-06-21 08:47 PM

Boots with laces.

I have a good pair of short Richa summer boots which I like but they fasten with laces, and today one of the loops on a lace got hooked around a footpeg which could have been dangerous ! Worth remembering to tie up laces so there aren't any big loops hanging down .

Craig380 15-06-21 07:14 AM

Re: Boots with laces.

Reminds me of when, many years ago, the kickstart lever of my X5 slid up underneath my waterproof overtrousers. I filter to the front of the first set of traffic lights, go to put my foot down and ........ slowly topple over at the head of the queue, with the bike pinning my leg to the road and still ticking over happily. I felt a bit of a pranny.

Bibio 15-06-21 09:41 AM

tuck the laces loops inside the top of your boots.

Yeah, fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
Yeah I saw it, I saw it, I tell you no lies

could not resist :-)

Craig380 15-06-21 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3129487)
Yeah, fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
Yeah I saw it, I saw it, I tell you no lies

could not resist :-)

The first two albums still sound brilliant today.

svenrico 15-06-21 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig380 (Post 3129496)

You lost me on that one.:confused:

Swin 16-06-21 04:51 AM

Black Sabbath :)

+1 to Bibs comment, I wear lace up boots most of the time, always double bow them and tuck the remaining lace into the top of the boot

daktulos 16-06-21 05:41 AM

Something similar happened to me - I was on a GS and my trousers hooked over the heel guard. I went to put my foot down and the bike went down instead.

thedrewski86 16-06-21 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig380 (Post 3129496)

That's the truth right there. Tone for days.

Laces and bikes don't mix. Never fell over as a result of them, but I've had close calls. Enough to keep me from ever wearing boots with laces again.

redtrummy 16-06-21 07:35 PM

On short boots I replaced the laces with suitable elastic! Works very well, easy to get on and off but enough tension to hold them in place well.

SV650rules 16-06-21 07:45 PM

My boots close with Velcro.....

Swin 16-06-21 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redtrummy (Post 3129532)
On short boots I replaced the laces with suitable elastic! Works very well, easy to get on and off but enough tension to hold them in place well.

For my Jump boots I got some of those lace in zippers, but I never seemed to get them to feel comfortable and went back to tucking the lace in the top :)

svenrico 17-06-21 12:00 AM

Triple knotted there is hardly any loop to snag. I have another older pair of lace up boots, the type you get for about £35, which have a velcro flap to cover the lace ends which is a good idea, but the boots are not that good otherwise. Not familiar with lace in zippers.

johnnyrod 18-06-21 09:52 PM

Call me an old fart but it was always one of those things you never did, ride in laced boots. I wonder if people still leave their bike in gear on the sidestand!

svenrico 18-06-21 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyrod (Post 3129610)
Call me an old fart but it was always one of those things you never did, ride in laced boots. I wonder if people still leave their bike in gear on the sidestand!

There are a lot of modern short motorcycle boots with laces though.

Bibio 19-06-21 10:17 AM

Quote:

I wonder if people still leave their bike in gear on the sidestand!

i'm one of those that do.

SV650rules 20-06-21 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3129628)
i'm one of those that do.

And me, just like I leave my car in gear when I park it.

svenrico 20-06-21 11:09 PM

I tend not to do it with the bike, only the car, but what is wrong with leaving the bike in gear anyway, isn't it an added precaution to stop the bike rolling off the side stand ?

thedrewski86 21-06-21 10:36 PM

I only leave the bike in gear when I'm on an incline, just to keep it from rolling off the side stand. Other than that I park in neutral.
If there is something wrong with this, I would be interested in knowing.

svenrico 21-06-21 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedrewski86 (Post 3129718)
I only leave the bike in gear when I'm on an incline, just to keep it from rolling off the side stand. Other than that I park in neutral.
If there is something wrong with this, I would be interested in knowing.

I can't see anything wrong with doing it either way, unless you try starting the bike with it in gear !

Seeker 22-06-21 06:01 AM

... sees "boots with laces" thread - starts reading last post...

... and the one before
... and the one before that

seems to be about parking bike in gear. That's quite a thread drift :confused:

I'll cover both topics - I don't ride in boots with laces. My AL7 gear position indicator sometimes gets confused between "1" and "2" but if I leave it in "1" overnight it seems to help. Oh, and I think my clutch pushrod oil seal is starting to leak, but that's another thread (or is it? ;) j/k)

Dave20046 22-06-21 09:02 AM

Quote:

Agree with the first sentence. re #2 ...aren't you supposed to? I generally do, definitely if it's on an incline/decline

gadget 24-06-21 02:09 PM

It's not just laces that can be a problem, I managed to drop my gsxr when the side stand lever caught in the velcro part that covers the zip, just as I put the side stand up and went to raise my foot to rest on the peg the lever part of the stand somehow got caught in my boot and after a second or two of panic ... over it went, breaking a mirror and scuffing up a bar end. No real damage but an audience of about 30 people at a bike meet didn't help with the total embarrassment. It wasn't the first time the boot had caught in the side stand but it was the first time it made me drop my bike. Needless to say ... the boots were sold pretty much immediately, never had boots that were so much of a hazard tbh. I now put my boots inside my leathers/ trousers ... a'la Rossi!

svenrico 25-06-21 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadget (Post 3129809)
It's not just laces that can be a problem, I managed to drop my gsxr when the side stand lever caught in the velcro part that covers the zip, just as I put the side stand up and went to raise my foot to rest on the peg the lever part of the stand somehow got caught in my boot and after a second or two of panic ... over it went, breaking a mirror and scuffing up a bar end. No real damage but an audience of about 30 people at a bike meet didn't help with the total embarrassment. It wasn't the first time the boot had caught in the side stand but it was the first time it made me drop my bike. Needless to say ... the boots were sold pretty much immediately, never had boots that were so much of a hazard tbh. I now put my boots inside my leathers/ trousers ... a'la Rossi!

I had a Triumph Bonneville T100 and the footpegs were in such a position that they caught your legs/trousers/boots when taking your feet off the pegs !

gadget 25-06-21 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenrico (Post 3129849)
I had a Triumph Bonneville T100 and the footpegs were in such a position that they caught your legs/trousers/boots when taking your feet off the pegs !

Only reason for having the zips/velcro on the 'inside' of the boots .. imo is in case of an off, they're less likely to come/tare open if they are largely protected by being on the inside of your calf! That doesn't help with the velcro flap being snagged by the propstand or pegs when on the imside but if using lace up boots ... which I have done in the past, I always tuck the laces in after tieing as many knots as I can to shorten them first. Probably overkill but it's what I do for peace of mind.

svenrico 25-06-21 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadget (Post 3129910)
Only reason for having the zips/velcro on the 'inside' of the boots .. imo is in case of an off, they're less likely to come/tare open if they are largely protected by being on the inside of your calf! That doesn't help with the velcro flap being snagged by the propstand or pegs when on the imside but if using lace up boots ... which I have done in the past, I always tuck the laces in after tieing as many knots as I can to shorten them first. Probably overkill but it's what I do for peace of mind.

Not overkill at all. I now tie multiple knots so there is hardly any loop exposed, but it is a pain untying the laces !

johnnyrod 25-06-21 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave20046 (Post 3129728)
Agree with the first sentence. re #2 ...aren't you supposed to? I generally do, definitely if it's on an incline/decline

It has always been de rigeur in my book to leave it parked in gear