SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   2010 Annual Rideout (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Sun dance (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=155519)

Nick_69 03-08-10 11:12 AM

Sun dance

Looking at the weather we may need to do a sun dance especially for the ride down Friday.

metalangel 03-08-10 12:57 PM

Re: Sun dance

Yup, watching the weather reports very closely as rain = car :(

Specialone 03-08-10 01:30 PM

I looked at metcheck this morning and it said sunny spells on friday around hereford, saturday doesnt look promising so far though.

Ive just looked at metcheck again so i could post a link and it says now, showers :(

dizzyblonde 03-08-10 01:33 PM

What you all moaning at...do you really think 'Im Upstairs is going to break tradition by not having his annual flooding bath on the AR weekend?

Lightweights :-)

Kate Moss 03-08-10 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyblonde (Post 2335252)
What you all moaning at...do you really think 'Im Upstairs is going to break tradition by not having his annual flooding bath on the AR weekend?

Lightweights :-)

True! If it rains we'll all be "furkin unluckeeeeee"

SoulKiss 03-08-10 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate Moss (Post 2335263)
True! If it rains we'll all be "furkin unluckeeeeee"

There is no way at all it can be wetter than AR07...

Even if we DID have the swimming pool it wouldnt be :p

_Stretchie_ 03-08-10 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick_69 (Post 2335138)
Looking at the weather we may need to do a sun dance especially for the ride down Friday.

We'll have to get ValleyBoy out in his oversuit, it always clears up and shines when he puts his oversuit on

dizzyblonde 03-08-10 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulKiss (Post 2335268)
There is no way at all it can be wetter than AR07...

Even if we DID have the swimming pool it wouldnt be :p

Now this is indeed true. Its doubtful it will ever rain as hard as that ever again.....or can it:rolleyes:

But what am I to worry, I'll be sat at home with a paintbrush, wishing I was in a wet field with you lot.:(

Drew Carey 03-08-10 03:51 PM

Looks like the rain is mainly Friday with Saturday being light showers and around 20oC. So should be ok for the ride. Sunday is looking nicer though.

It will be what it will be. :D

fizzwheel 03-08-10 04:09 PM

Theres no point looking at metcheck this far away from the weekend, it'll change.

Remember AR08 forecast for the whole weekend was rubbish, yet we sat in T-shirts at the lunchstop in swange and basked in the sun.

We live in the UK for goodness sake if we never went out when the forecast threatened rain, we'd never ride out bikes at all.

A bit of rain isnt going to do you any harm.

Specialone 03-08-10 04:19 PM

It might not hurt us but i still dont like riding in the rain, i have to either wear my textiles or waterproof over suit which is a pain, constantly having to wipe my visor, i could think of better ways to spend an afternoon.

If it looks too bad i will come in my car cos i know i wont enjoy it.

MR UKI (1) 03-08-10 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzwheel (Post 2335375)
Theres no point looking at metcheck this far away from the weekend, it'll change.

Remember AR08 forecast for the whole weekend was rubbish, yet we sat in T-shirts at the lunchstop in swange and basked in the sun.

We live in the UK for goodness sake if we never went out when the forecast threatened rain, we'd never ride out bikes at all.

A bit of rain isnt going to do you any harm.

It was that nice even dogs wearing sunglasses were surfing :cool:

fizzwheel 03-08-10 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialone (Post 2335383)
If it looks too bad i will come in my car cos i know i wont enjoy it.

Fair enough, but I'd wait till Thursday night before you make your final decision, the Metcheck long range forecast is IMHO completely unreliable.

Drew Carey 03-08-10 05:18 PM

Agree with Fizz, metcheck isn't normally great till the day before. In fact most of them are not that great.

Lissa 03-08-10 05:22 PM

No-one likes rain, but this is the UK, it rains from time to time. Also, how many times have you taken notice of a days forecast which has turned out to be totally different to the weather you get? To let some forecast for three days time make you contemplate not coming, or coming in the car, is just ridiculous. Remember 1987...there will be no hurricane? :rolleyes:

Stop being old women...that's my job! :p

MR UKI (1) 03-08-10 05:23 PM

On a positive note the BBC are suggesting it will prob clear for the afternoon anyway. Classic UK weather, so just deal with it :D:

"Remaining breezy and cool with sunshine and showers during Thursday. Another band of rain is likely during Friday, perhaps clearing by the afternoon. More sunshine and showers on Saturday"

Specialone 03-08-10 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzwheel (Post 2335445)
Fair enough, but I'd wait till Thursday night before you make your final decision, the Metcheck long range forecast is IMHO completely unreliable.

Ill wait until friday morning tbh, i want to come on my bike albiet im sure the wife would be pleased if we came in the car ;)

Hopefully hovis can have a word with the man upstairs and sort us out some fine weather :)

fenjer 03-08-10 06:15 PM

I'm the same, I saw the BBC weather tonight and the entire west coast and M6 is allegedly going to be under a blanket of rain on friday.

I for one will not be riding 300 miles in pouring rain after only a few hours kip. I'll decided on Friday when I wake up.

dizzyblonde 03-08-10 07:11 PM

I ride several hundred miles in the pouring rain to such events. In fact just to see friends.

In fact to go further I rode to Caerphilly from Halifax in the ****ing rain and freezing cold last year for a very special person. It was so bad that stupid cars in front were almost unseeable. The day after I rode back and once it had got very dark it was foggy oop Norf, and a certain Scottish hard lassie rode even further home after we left her on the Mway....

Bloddy stop moaning, its once a year folks, ya bunch of old jessies. If I weren't so fat and preggers I'd come down there and whoop all yer asses. :-) :-)

christopher 03-08-10 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lissa (Post 2335455)
Remember 1987...

Errm nope http://i37.tinypic.com/34pmd8i.jpg

*runs*

See you Friday!

Specialone 03-08-10 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher (Post 2335564)
Errm nope http://i37.tinypic.com/34pmd8i.jpg

*runs*

See you Friday!

Lol, havent seen that smilie before.
Your older than aint you Chris?

christopher 03-08-10 07:35 PM

Aye born in '86 but don't remember '87.

fenjer 03-08-10 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyblonde (Post 2335546)
I ride several hundred miles in the pouring rain to such events. In fact just to see friends.

Bloddy stop moaning, its once a year folks, ya bunch of old jessies. If I weren't so fat and preggers I'd come down there and whoop all yer asses. :-) :-)

No-one was monaing, simply stating facts and their preferences.

I for one know that I will not be confident or happy riding 300 odd miles in pouring rain, especially where car drivers will not be expecting bikes (they dont at the best of times, even less so in the rain!) after only a few hours sleep, to have to arrive in the rain, pitch a tent in the rain, potentially do a ride out in the rain, then dismantle a tent in the rain and ride home in the rain, then get up and do a run of 3 12 hour shifts on the Monday.

If I am out and it rains then fair enough, I deal with it. I will not however take what I consider to be an unneccesary risk by setting off on a 300 mile journey in the rain for a "once a year" event or otherwise.

My bike is my time to myself, a hobby that I enjoy, sitting on a motorway getting soaked for 300 miles is not my idea of fun.

rictus01 03-08-10 10:53 PM

Condition, severe weather warnings; gales and flooding predicted, AR07 Veteran.

riding is no problem in fact fun with the right gear and mindset, however putting up a tent in the rain isn't something I'm looking forward to, hard enough for me in the dry....:(

dizzyblonde 04-08-10 09:32 AM

I wasn't taking a pop at you Fenjer. Its just every year a few spots of rain and everyone starts moaning about it;-)

My bikes my time to myself too, and right now I'd prefer to be sat in the rain on it, than sat here talking to walls, which is all rather tedious, especially when I know 200 hundred people that I want to see once a year are going to have an absolute ace time....me not included. :-(

And no, putting up a tent in rain isn't my cuppa either....there ain't even a Bear erection service for that this year!

petevtwin650 04-08-10 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialone (Post 2335383)
constantly having to wipe my visor

Are you wiping your visor with your glove SO? If so, that won't help. The grease from the glove will make your vision in the wet worse. Try using a water dispersant spray, and turning your head sideways to clear the visor. Works for me except in slow moving traffic.

hongman 04-08-10 01:22 PM

Talking of rain.

Went to a client site as it looked nice.

Its now farking ****ing it down, thunder, spot of lightning, the works. Only bought waterproof gloves with me, LOL.

This shall be interesting. Still scrubbing in my new rubber ;)

Specialone 04-08-10 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petevtwin650 (Post 2336101)
Are you wiping your visor with your glove SO? If so, that won't help. The grease from the glove will make your vision in the wet worse. Try using a water dispersant spray, and turning your head sideways to clear the visor. Works for me except in slow moving traffic.

Good point Pete i do use my glove, i will try some rain repellant, cheers.

The facts are i just dont like riding in the rain, i can, and do ride in the rain, just dont like it.
Cant see what the fuss is about, we all have preferences, i dont like eastenders, but i dont force myself to watch it just for the sake of it ;)

Electro 04-08-10 05:48 PM

Forget all the wet clothes and get nekkid, should be a rule lol :)

metalangel 05-08-10 05:52 AM

Weather now saying wet Friday, but better Saturday and Sunday. I'm sure they'll change their minds again tomorrow.

Specialone 05-08-10 06:23 AM

http://metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/tomo...sp?zipcode=hr3

Looking loads better than the other day :cool:

Messie 06-08-10 05:47 AM

I've just seen the BBC forecast.
Showers/light rain moving west to east.
Well I'm going east to west so apart from a dodgy moment around lunchtime when we might meet the clouds crossing the country I think it'll be dry
Yay!!

metalangel 06-08-10 07:10 AM

It is currently grey and damp (not raining, damp from last night) in Kyerrrrrrdiff. Looks like I get to bring the bike after all.*

*fully expect the frigging heavens to open now I've said that

EDIT: Yup, drizzling now.