SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   The Border Patrol (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   September ride out (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=239889)

garynortheast 23-08-21 08:29 AM

September ride out

How about a Border Patrol rideout in September? Any definite "can't do" dates? Let's try for a good number of us, as we may be heading towards the last chance for a meetup this year now.

Only date I can't do is Friday 17th September.

admin 23-08-21 08:39 AM

Re: September ride out

I'll pass on this one Gary. September is going to be a busy month for me.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Adam Ef 23-08-21 09:44 AM

Going on previous experience of what August weather is like and usually preferring September, I've actually booked some holiday from the 1st to the 8th September. Got a few bits to do during that but am fairly flexible.

Craig380 24-08-21 03:52 PM

I'm a bit up in the air at the moment, waiting for a consultant appt. I'll come along if I can, though.

garynortheast 28-08-21 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3131494)
Going on previous experience of what August weather is like and usually preferring September, I've actually booked some holiday from the 1st to the 8th September. Got a few bits to do during that but am fairly flexible.

Well, unless anyone chips in and says otherwise, it looks like you're the only other rider Adam. I'm still intending to get a days ride in over the next couple of weeks. Are you still on for a trek up here? if you are, could we make it a week day?

Adam Ef 29-08-21 06:42 AM

I'd be up for that . Let me check family diary.

Adam Ef 30-08-21 10:28 AM

Short notice.. are you around this Wednesday Gary? + Anyone else? I've got a couple of roads I'd like to ride between Brecon and the coast, Aberaeron and then up to Aberystwyth. Then A44 (?) back across to Newtown area.
I've got this Wednesday free (I'd be heading out from Bristol area early). Otherwise I'm free next week Tuesday and Wednesday too. Looks like the weather is ok this week though so I'll probably be out anyway.

Craig380 30-08-21 10:43 AM

I'm still waiting for appt confirmation so I'll have to pass this week. Weather does look great, hope you have a good 'un!

garynortheast 30-08-21 12:09 PM

Sorry Adam, can't do this Wednesday as I'll be taking one of my daughters back up to Manchester for uni.

Adam Ef 30-08-21 12:45 PM

How are you fixed next week Gary?

garynortheast 30-08-21 01:55 PM

Next week is pretty clear Adam. Best day is probably Tuesday.

Adam Ef 31-08-21 05:55 PM

I might head out Thursday this week instead of Weds as weather is looking a bit brighter.

garynortheast 31-08-21 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3131644)
I might head out Thursday this week instead of Weds as weather is looking a bit brighter.

Thursday is clear for me at the moment now. Where abouts are you heading Adam?

Adam Ef 31-08-21 09:04 PM

Thinking of the Brecon to coast and up ride I mentioned a few posts back. Do you want to come south slightly to meet me? We'd be riding back up towards yours eventually.

garynortheast 31-08-21 09:52 PM

How about meeting in Aberystwyth? Breakfast at Morrisons!

Adam Ef 01-09-21 06:51 AM

I've now been informed that it's Friday, not Thursday that I can get out.

garynortheast 01-09-21 07:21 AM

That's ok as I've just found out that one of my girls is going back to uni on Thursday so I'm transporting her and her stuff up to Manchester.

Damn! I've just looked at the calendar and I have a job booked in on Friday morning. Looks like this week is out for me now, sorry Adam.

Adam Ef 01-09-21 08:26 PM

Shall we watch the weather for Tuesday next week?

garynortheast 01-09-21 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3131687)
Shall we watch the weather for Tuesday next week?

Yes, let's do that.

Adam Ef 02-09-21 08:21 PM

Weather is looking good next Tuesday :-)

garynortheast 02-09-21 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3131718)
Weather is looking good next Tuesday :-)

Ooh yes! That is looking very good at the moment. Which probably means we'll be up to our necks in snow by then! :smt046

garynortheast 06-09-21 08:44 PM

We shall be riding the little road between Beulah and Tregaron tomorrow. It has a couple of great names for bits of it. One is Wolf's Leap and the other is The Devil's Staircase.

Adam Ef 06-09-21 09:24 PM

Looks good on Google photos. Looking forward to it.

Anyone else coming along? Guessing everyone's busy but just in case... Gary and I are meeting at Morrison's in Brecon at abbout 10:30 if all goes to plan.

garynortheast 06-09-21 09:56 PM

See you tomorrow Adam.

admin 07-09-21 03:39 PM

Have fun. I've been out today with some old friends from London. Jeez it was hot. Went to Ludlow and took my panniers with shorts and trainers. Four of us stripped off in the car park to get into cooler gear. This worked well until it was time to leave and had to change back into bike gear.

garynortheast 07-09-21 06:27 PM

Back from what I can only describe as the ride of the year!

Rode down to Aberhonddu/Brecon to meet Adam. The light of the early morning sun on the newly cut and baled cereal fields around the village as I left was a gorgeous, golden colour, with small areas of early mist not yet burned off. A good omen for the rest of the ride.

The road from Newtown to Llandrindod is one I'm not usually all that keen on as it's often busy and, at weekends, full of knee down ninja warriors. This morning however, I had it pretty much to myself and it made for an involving and enjoyable ride.

Through Llandrindod and on to Llanfair ym Muallt/Builth Wells on similarly quiet roads, then the B4520 old road down to Aberhonddu. This is a road I've never ridden before as, usually if I'm heading that way I take the signposted main road. The old road though, is fantastic! A winding, hedge lined, twisty delight.

Arrived in Brecon and met Adam at the Morrisons where we stopped for a coffee, and in my case, breakfast! Then back up the first part of the B4520, before turning of on the B5419, and up across the Epynt. This is an area taken by the MoD near the start of WWII and never returned. The sad story of the area and the community forced to leave, including some who are still alive today, can be read here. The ride over the Epynt is staggering, the views are quite stunning. It's been on my list of rides to do for a while and it was well worth the effort.

From there it was on to Beulah and the single track road from Abergwesyn to Tregaron. Again, absolutely fantastic scenery, and a series of 1:4 hairpins known as the Devil's Staircase. Quick stop in Tregaron to catch our breath then the road to Aberystwyth, where we stopped on the prom for coffee and ice cream.

Finally the dash back to Newtown via Machynlleth/Llanbrynmair/Caersws/Aberhafesp.

Clear, blue skies and temperatures in the 20s all the way. Total mileage for me was around 180 miles. A great ride, glad I went.

Craig380 07-09-21 08:05 PM

Sounds excellent, very jealous! As it happens I had my consultant appt today and it was good news, which compensated somewhat for missing most of a sunny riding day.

Adam Ef 07-09-21 09:51 PM

I love riding in Wales for the breathtaking scenery. Some of the views and scenery today took that to the next level. Brilliant day out. Cheers Gary.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...984e7019_c.jpg

garynortheast 08-09-21 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 3131841)
Have fun. I've been out today with some old friends from London. Jeez it was hot. Went to Ludlow and took my panniers with shorts and trainers. Four of us stripped off in the car park to get into cooler gear. This worked well until it was time to leave and had to change back into bike great.

Hope you didn't have an audience John!

admin 08-09-21 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3131854)
Hope you didn't have an audience John!

Only pigeons.

Sir Trev 08-09-21 05:37 PM

Very jealous. Not of John's pigeons mind.... I was stuck indoors all day on back-to-back calls.

Adam Ef 08-09-21 07:56 PM

A few more from yesterday...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...88e7b9b4_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...63cac4a1_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7558076e_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f78d6a00_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7497db84_c.jpg

garynortheast 08-09-21 08:50 PM

Good pictures Adam. Where was the last one taken.

Good job I kept my helmet on while I was knicking seeds from the council flower bed, wouldn't want to be identified. Oh....hang on....bugger!

admin 08-09-21 08:52 PM

Great shots. Looks like you had a good day.

garynortheast 08-09-21 08:56 PM

It was an awesome day John. Some truly stunning views, and amazing roads I'd never explored before.

Adam Ef 08-09-21 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3131873)
..Where was the last one taken.

On the bridge going through Crickhowell.