SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Hoodies (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=60048)

rubberduckofdeath 13-05-05 06:54 AM

Hoodies

Shinsei Jutsu 13-05-05 07:02 AM

Nothing wrong with hoodies, just some of the people that where them.
Some people have nothing better to do with their time than to try and ban pieces of clothing!?! oh dear!

diamond 13-05-05 07:07 AM

I love my hoodies, but i don't tend to wear them with the hood up, chav style. :)

Skip 13-05-05 07:34 AM

I tried a one on the other week whilst out shopping, I looked at myself in the mirror and thought, thank goodness for that, I look like a total muppet! :lol:

Shinsei Jutsu 13-05-05 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip
I tried a one on the other week whilst out shopping, I looked at myself in the mirror and thought, thank goodness for that, I look like a total muppet! :lol:

The magic hoody turned you into Gonzo?! :wink:

blacksheep 13-05-05 07:38 AM

I think the issue is that they're seen as trying to hide their face.
Any normal law abiding citizen wouldn't need to do this so why do they? If it was up to me I'd round the flippin lot of them up and burn 'em!

:D

Skip 13-05-05 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinsei Jutsu
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip

The magic hoody turned you into Gonzo?! :wink:

:lol:

Would have preferred Cookie Monster, or was that Sesame Street?! :?

Flamin_Squirrel 13-05-05 07:53 AM

What's the difference between that and sunglasses, or even a lid with a dark visor?

What irritates me most about these kind of hypocrits, is you just know the stupid cow would be the first to express outrage at any sexual/religious/racial discrimination.

As time goes by, people are becoming less and less tollerant, not more tollerant. Everyone's now in favour of bans effecting people that aren't them, and that's just wrong.

keithd 13-05-05 07:59 AM

i'm ok with hoodies...

my mate dave cohen isnt tho....

jonboy 13-05-05 08:02 AM

:lol:

Kate 13-05-05 08:06 AM

I heard that they are trying to ban hoodies and caps from Blue Water? I think it could be taken to extremes but I don't have a problem with this in general. For instance, walking alone and having to make your way through a bunch of teenagers all dressed in hoodies up and baseball caps. It isn't a pleasant experience.

Ceri JC 13-05-05 08:14 AM

Alright, well all women (and men) should have to have their hair cropped short too, as wearing it up/down is a very effective quick and easy disguise :roll:.

I can understand them wanting you to remove baseball caps, or wear your hood down in shops, so they can see you on CCTV, but wearing a hoody with the hood down isn't in the least bit intimidating. I wear my hoody up, as an alternative to wearing a hat, when it's cold or I've been exercising.

Quote:

What irritates me most about these kind of hypocrits, is you just know the stupid cow would be the first to express outrage at any sexual/religious/racial discrimination.

As time goes by, people are becoming less and less tollerant, not more tollerant. Everyone's now in favour of bans effecting people that aren't them, and that's just wrong.
Flamin Squirrel, True. I always say people like that, ironically, want less freedom. Freedom only so long as it is in agreeance with their idea of it...

Kate, I agree that people shouldn't feel intimidated on the streets and any large gathering of people loitering like that can look sinister. I'd rather the police came and dispersed them, regardless of how they were dressed.

Kate 13-05-05 08:23 AM

I don't like the idea of being told what I can or can't wear, I wear hoodies all the time! I don't think you could call me particularly intimidating? But on the otherhand, I can think of a few more scenarios when it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Oh, and that example was in a shopping centre in Croydon.

Cloggsy 13-05-05 08:27 AM

It ain't the hoodies that are the problem, its the little ******s that are wearing them :toss:

Did anyone watch the 'Tonight with Trevor McDonald' programme last night :?: 'Happy Slappers :?:'

Bring back the Birch I say :evil:

Captain Nemo 13-05-05 08:46 AM

nothing inherently wrong with hoodies, ive got few and i like em.
nothing inherently wrong with baseball caps ive got a few and i like em, although i do tend to look like johnathon king..hhmmm.

but, i dont stand on corners with a gang with my hood up, a cap on and my hands in my pocket, looking moody, im a big bloke and these groups make me uneasy so i can underdand why people worry,

one of the reasons kids wear hoodies and caps like this is that they are emulating what they see in their peers, mtv and such , american gang culture is seen here by teens looking for their own identity, as cool,
most of the kids with hoodies and caps are just kids hanging out, but a lot arent, and you cant tell the difference cos you cant see there faces.

if a private shopping development wants to ban them, then fine. its there business.

if the police stop and search fine, the ones who are just hanging out will stop wearing them if they think there going to keep getting pulled.

as for saying ban beards and long hair, thats just a **** thing to say.

standards of behaviour are dropping accross all parts of society, anything that tries to raise them cant be all bad, as long as people dont get on there high horse all the time.

and as cloggsy says, bring back the birch, better still make them standard issue to law abiding citizens...............

Viney 13-05-05 09:15 AM

I wear a hoodie when im out happy slapping!

Bluewater shopping center has banned hoodies and baseball caps! I suppose it can be a bit intimidating to some, and the kids that do wear them are a sandwich short of a picnic most of the time. It is a west coast 'gang' thing. Its a phase, until the nest one comes along!

Red ones 13-05-05 09:22 AM

Why ban hoodies when the issue is the anti-social behaviour? Who is to dictate what clothes anyone wears when the problem is how they act?

Should leather jackets be banned because Hell's Angels behave inappropriately?

Ceri JC 13-05-05 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red ones
Why ban hoodies when the issue is the anti-social behaviour? Who is to dictate what clothes anyone wears when the problem is how they act?

Should leather jackets be banned because Hell's Angels behave inappropriately?

No, because the angels tend to wear denim 'colours'. Just ban Jeanswear :wink:

I agree it's a sort of stereotyping/profiling and targetting the little scrotes who cause mischief (and who wear them), rather than just people wearing hoodies, would be the sensible thing to do. :)

Flamin_Squirrel 13-05-05 09:28 AM

Unfortuantely to solving the problem of antisocial behaviour would require an inkling of wit, which sadly the government doesn't poses.

SVeeedy Gonzales 13-05-05 09:37 AM

Isn't this the same thing as identifying people as troublemakers because they're the wrong colour? Or sex? Or religion?

Or picking out people speeding rather than dangerous drivers?

What happened to just picking out the troublemakers rather than just going for whatever is the easy option? :evil:

It's not like chavs are hard to spot... but wearing a cap or hoodie doesn't automatically make you a chav.

Plus I bet all the shops in Bluewater will still be selling caps and hoodies, etc. - funny, that!

Viney 13-05-05 09:56 AM

I dont think that these people are trying to ban hoodies as an item of clothing, but the wearing of the hoods up, or caps on indoors. That i dont see a problem with, unless youa re having a bad hair day (Like lee most days, hence his disgust)

With CCTV being more popular nowdays, and trying to clamp down on anti social behaviour, then not being able to see that little chavs face could be a problem. So there is a good reason.

Grinch 13-05-05 10:01 AM

You think thats bad.. what about all those thugs with those crash helmets on.

Captain Nemo 13-05-05 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales
It's not like chavs are hard to spot... but wearing a cap or hoodie doesn't automatically make you a chav.

eerrrrrrr..........it does :shock:

i have a goatee beard, but not cos im trying to hide anything its just that im pug ugly... :oops:

Sudoxe 13-05-05 10:02 AM

Ban hoodies. Ban kids as well. Unless they are shopping they shouldn't be in the damned shopping centre hasseling people trying to buy cds and shirts.

I feel it would be perfectly reasonable to shoot on site anyone wearing a hoodie, with the hood up inside a shopping centre. It doesn't rain inside, and its most likely not sunny in there either.

Oh andl ban old people as well, them sticks they carry are an offencive weapon. And i feel intimidated when they are arround.

Dan

Bud 13-05-05 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales
Isn't this the same thing as identifying people as troublemakers because they're the wrong colour? Or sex? Or religion?

Or picking out people speeding rather than dangerous drivers?

What happened to just picking out the troublemakers rather than just going for whatever is the easy option? :evil:

Plus I bet all the shops in Bluewater will still be selling caps and hoodies, etc. - funny, that!

(Politician mode) Here Here old chap!

It's another discrimination that would never be tolerated if it was based on colour, race, religion etc. Target the individuals rather than make assumptions on their behaviour by their clothing.

Ceri JC 13-05-05 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudoxe

Oh andl ban old people as well, them sticks they carry are an offencive weapon. And i feel intimidated when they are arround.

Dan

Ban their 'silent-drive' stealth motorcycles that they go hairing up and down shopping arcades on too. When I ride my bike through a shopping centre, which is far less dangeorus thanks to the noise it makes, they call the police, but the old people get away with it time and time again. I dunno one rule for some, another for the young. :wink:

Balky001 13-05-05 10:38 AM

To answer an earlier question I understand the shops in Bluewater cannot sell hoodies or caps anymore.

Seems people in general (me too no doubt!) like to moan whatever the situation is. I'm sure there have been a few dozen threads going on about how too PC everyone is and when a problem is identified councils/Gov't/police are too afraid to do anything for fear of upset the PC do-gooder brigade. If hoodies are a problem in Bluewater and customers are being intimidated (whether founded or not) by groups of (up to 60-100) youths then if they did nothing then they are not facing the problem. I doubt if the ban is the best solution but if CCTV has made town centres safer etc, then stopping that safety measure working surely should be prevented. Of course, the knock on effect will be about human rights, other poeple's clothes, maybe motorbikes and blah blah blah. Just glad to see soemone not bowing to the PC's of this world and making a statement and facing a problem without fearing backlash.

Whether the Gov't should be making policy is another matter. Knee jerk and short term solutions are OK for a small PLC, but for legislation or policy - something a little more substantial and long term is required.

Nick762 13-05-05 11:00 AM

OK, how does this sound...

Shave your head completely to provide an unobstructed view at all times.

Wear a T-shirt with no pockets in which you can hide contraband.

Jeans should also be worn as being tight they are difficult to conceal such undesirable items as stolen goods or drugs. Also braces in preference to a belt which can of course be used as an offensive weapon.

Shiny boots are a must, a pair of Dr Martins for example with an immaculate spit polish must surely denote good character.

In fact this chap is a prime example of the sort of person any shop keeper would be delighted to see....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nd_scooter.jpg

hall13uk 13-05-05 11:08 AM

hey if the security guards are having trouble id 'ing people maybe they would like the public to wear security tags so they can pin point are excat location at all times while doing are shopping :roll:

worlds gone mad

Clunk 13-05-05 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloggsy
Bring back the Birch I say :evil:

This is what we need, a return to corporal punishment in schools.

The kids who behave anti-socially have no respect for authority. They know they are virtually untouchable and keep pushing the boundaries.
They need to know that their actions WILL result in punishment.
At the moment there is no detterent and things will only get worse.

The government hasn't got the balls to do anything about, all they do is talk with no action.

:rant:

Balky001 13-05-05 11:16 AM

Is this new at all? OK, maybe for a shopping centre. But the local corner shop only allows 2 school children in at a time. Now, does he have a right to brand all school children as light handed, even though his business could go bust with shop lifting being a serious problem. Or should he bow to the righteous and see his business go to the wall. I'm pretty certain pubs clubs restaurants have operated a dress code for a while now haven't they. What's the big issue with not wearing a hoody. I defend rights but really, only ones worth fighting for. Sure, we all need to ensure there's no abuse or unnecessary escalation of censorship and control etc etc etc

Bud 13-05-05 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath

Every little civil liberty is worth fighting for because they're slowly being snatched from us due to idiots in every corner. What is needed in every area of life is common sense.

You're very wise and I will now be following you around, stalker like, from now on!

Nutkins 13-05-05 11:46 AM

So, I can't wear a naff bit of clothing, at Bluewater. Big deal.

Twenty years ago you couldn't wear lace up Doctor Martins in Southend on a bank holiday because there was a fear you might feel the urge to kick someone's head in. So, the laces were taken away.

That didn't affect my life either.

Balky001 13-05-05 11:54 AM

Quote:

This is no different from people saying bikes are dangerous and a nuisance and them getting banned from the roads. Every little civil liberty is worth fighting for because they're slowly being snatched from us due to idiots in every corner. What is needed in every area of life is common sense.

Common sense - exactly. Bikes - hoodies, different extremes. Confusing different extremities plays in to the liberalist hands and nothing will ever get done in case someones feelings are hurt and they can't do what they want. A bit of order and direction wouldn't go amiss in most areas. I really do understand your argument but is has to be balanced with the problem. If you believe in no censhorship, rules or laws as it may infringe on any one individuals right - then you'd live in chaos. Or Haringey in the early 90's.

It a sad day when you can't even run your business in a reasonable and safe enviroment without being demonised.

Nutkins 13-05-05 11:55 AM

Quote:

And the point went sailing over Nutkins head and off to the horizon, never to be seen again

Not quite, old chum. I think you may have missed the sacastic tone in my message.
Try reading it, from a hoodlum's (Hoodlum, did you see what I did there? :wink: ) point of view.

Flamin_Squirrel 13-05-05 11:56 AM

Like I said, everyones in favour of restricting the freedoms of people that aren't them.

But as the saying goes, what goes around comes around. I just wish people would see that so it can be stoped :roll:

Balky001 13-05-05 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Like I said, everyones in favour of restricting the freedoms of people that aren't them.

But as the saying goes, what goes around comes around. I just wish people would see that so it can be stoped :roll:

I see where you are coming from but fear of the consequences should not stop you making a decision you believe to be right. In this case, people are being restricted either way.

Rob S (Yella) 13-05-05 12:06 PM

Have you ever been in a market when a gang of youths Hood up and crowed around a stall and start blatantly nicking and threatening anybody who interferes with a kickin.

I have.

My dad is a Market trader and is only ever robbed by hoodies or eastern europeans or eastern european hoodies. And this is regular even though that part of the market has CCTV coverage. They are immune to CCTV because of the hoods. Thats why Bluwater is banning them and I have to agree in principle. Thats not a total ban but in an indoor or public places and in groups then yes. BAN THEM.

Balky001 13-05-05 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob S (Yella)
Have you ever been in a market when a gang of youths Hood up and crowed around a stall and start blatantly nicking and threatening anybody who interferes with a kickin.

I have.

My dad is a Market trader and is only ever robbed by hoodies or eastern europeans or eastern european hoodies. And this is regular even though that part of the market has CCTV coverage. They are immune to CCTV because of the hoods. Thats why Bluwater is banning them and I have to agree in principle. Thats not a total ban but in an indoor or public places and in groups then yes. BAN THEM.

Rob - people that have been affected or intimidated by these people seem to be in favour of the ban. Boris Johnson doesn't work in a market stall and probably has chavs shot on site (not saying hoodies are chavs, just saying BJ has them shot)- but is against the censorship. Nice for those that can live in an harmonic ivory tower

Flamin_Squirrel 13-05-05 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balky001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel

I see where you are coming from but fear of the consequences should not stop you making a decision you believe to be right. In this case, people are being restricted either way.

That's the same ludicrous argument used by the people who brought you the bans on smacking/guns/smoking/fox hunting.