SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Pennine Massive (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Dalby Forest MTB weekend again? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=198548)

yorkie_chris 12-05-13 02:43 PM

Dalby Forest MTB weekend again?

So after last years was a bit of a giggle. And obviously about as healthy as a weekend on the p*ss can possibly get.

Who is up for this again? When do we fancy?

Tom_the_great 12-05-13 03:54 PM

Re: Dalby Forest MTB weekend again?

You can count me in :)

Steve_God 12-05-13 04:48 PM

Count me and the Mrs in!

yorkie_chris 12-05-13 05:00 PM

I'm thinking mid June.

Steve_God 13-05-13 06:47 AM

15th/16th Weekend or 22nd/23rd? Either are doable for me at the mo.

Roberrrrt 13-05-13 09:48 AM

Dalby Forest MTB weekend again?

Sounds good depending on dates!

Nobbylad 14-05-13 08:06 AM

Sounds interesting, what's the Bobby Moore?

yorkie_chris 14-05-13 08:14 AM

Turn up saturday morning, ride around a bit... RV at local campsite... drink, BBQ, etc.

Nobbylad 14-05-13 08:28 AM

I will ask the boss woman :D

yorkie_chris 14-05-13 08:35 AM

Actually the campsite last time wasn't THAT local, but it was a nice spot. Think it was in the heartbeat village up there.

Suppose we could use same one again?

Paul the 6th 14-05-13 08:46 AM

http://abbotshouse.org.uk yeah it was a massive mission to find anywhere which would accept a group of lads, was near enough and also actually had space once the first two criteria were met. There's also a pub about 3/4 of a mile walk away, and there's a stream at the camp if you wanted to rinse the bikes off after dalby.

About a 15 minute drive away iirc? just a headsup AR is 22nd/23rd

Nobbylad 14-05-13 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul the 6th (Post 2866445)
http://abbotshouse.org.uk yeah it was a massive mission to find anywhere which would accept a group of lads, was near enough and also actually had space once the first two criteria were met. There's also a pub about 3/4 of a mile walk away, and there's a stream at the camp if you wanted to rinse the bikes off after dalby.

About a 15 minute drive away iirc? just a headsup AR is 22nd/23rd

Is it a lads only thing? I was thinking of bring the Doris and maybe my eldest lad (17yrs).

What's the Bobby Moore?

yorkie_chris 14-05-13 10:03 AM

Dunno, it was a lads thing last time. Personally I intend on drinking at least a bottle of scotch and possibly trying to belch the national anthem so if they're happy with that I don't have any problem with them being there!!

Nobbylad 14-05-13 10:34 AM

OK - what level are we talking about? Expensive MTB's and lots of off-road experience, or any old push iron with a fat operator?

yorkie_chris 14-05-13 10:44 AM

I've done about 2 miles of MTB in the last 18 months... nuff said really...

The route isn't that gnarly, good fun though.

Paul the 6th 14-05-13 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobbylad (Post 2866461)
Is it a lads only thing? I was thinking of bring the Doris and maybe my eldest lad (17yrs).

What's the Bobby Moore?

Think the only issue may be bad language, but generally speaking the content isn't usually ridiculously out of bounds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 2866472)
Dunno, it was a lads thing last time. Personally I intend on drinking at least a bottle of scotch and possibly trying to belch the national anthem so if they're happy with that I don't have any problem with them being there!!

Yeah if I can attend I don't mind OH's and young'uns being there at all

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobbylad (Post 2866490)
OK - what level are we talking about? Expensive MTB's and lots of off-road experience, or any old push iron with a fat operator?

The red route itself is pretty hardcore in places and is about 24 miles, but provided you have a map, there are fire roads for you to escape back to the visitor centre if you want to cut it short.

Bike wise, last time owenski hired a bike for the day for about £35, I took my £300 specialized hardrock sport, one or two of the other lads were on similar, gr33k took his £3k downhill bike and nearly died of cramp in his legs due to the gearing, and luckypants took his £1600 full suss trek which I think he's selling (or may have sold by now). Fun/banter is the aim of the game and people don't really get left behind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 2866495)
I've done about 2 miles of MTB in the last 18 months... nuff said really...

The route isn't that gnarly, good fun though.

I've done nack all training in the last 6 months but am doing xc riding in exmoor in 3 weekends time, so will be ok to chip away at my own pace.

yorkie_chris 14-05-13 11:13 AM

Actually my only request this time is that we get there a bit earlier to crack on with the route. Last time we fannied about, went to a bike shop somewhere etc etc and it was quite late before we actually started the route and as a result it was a rush for some lads to get their bikes back to hire shop etc.

Bikes wise mine is a right cheapie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul the 6th (Post 2866506)
Think the only issue may be bad language, but generally speaking the content isn't usually ridiculously out of bounds.

He's a f***ing scouser he'll know more bad language than me...
Or are you concerned about Steve_Gods missus? :mrgreen:

Or he'll learn pretty sharp listening to people grunting and wheezing up the first hill. Was pretty funny listening to the swearing go reet quiet after about 20m of climb :mrgreen:

Steve_God 14-05-13 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobbylad (Post 2866490)

I've been round the Red Route at Dalby in a group where one woman was on a hybrid, with front suspension that barely moved and had hardly any travel, and she had a whale of a time.

As long as the bike has got 'some' form of front suspension, you'll be fine.

Roberrrrt 14-05-13 12:56 PM

Big +1 on the getting there earlier point - called off left right and centre last time!

Get what you need before the day and meet there - much simpler.

Paul the 6th 14-05-13 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberrrrt (Post 2866588)
Big +1 on the getting there earlier point - called off left right and centre last time!

Get what you need before the day and meet there - much simpler.

sowwee guys, I only stopped to get shoes as I'd been away all week. Tbh it probably didn't help everyone driving 100m to the sandwich shop and then getting out - could have eaten them on the way or just one person gone to get sarnies and ordered the lot. Just meet there this time perhaps?

Steve_God 14-05-13 02:14 PM

I'd suggest meeting there half an hour before the bike hire opens, fed and watered.
That gives people half an hour to meet up, get lost, arrive a bit late, or tinker with their bikes, before those hiring can grab their bikes, and head straight onto the trails.

(No idea what time the bike hire opens from though - at other places it tends to be around 9:30/10ish)

ThEGr33k 14-05-13 03:24 PM

Cool, I might try and sort out getting to this! :D Gimme updates on Facecrap please Chris, don't get on here as often as I should any more...

Oh and I'll be on the silly Dh bike again... Oh well, I may die from exhaustion. :S On the plus side I seem to have done more exercise than you this time :D

punyXpress 14-05-13 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_God (Post 2866617)
I'd suggest meeting there half an hour before the bike hire opens, fed and watered.
That gives people half an hour to meet up, get lost, arrive a bit late, or tinker with their bikes, before those hiring can grab their bikes, and head straight onto the trails.

(No idea what time the bike hire opens from though - at other places it tends to be around 9:30/10ish)

Dalby Bike Barn Ltd
Tel; 01751 460049
We are open 7 days a week 9:00am - 5:30pm during high season.

Here are some important things to remember...

• Please make sure you bring along some Photo ID
  • Card payments are accepted
  • Helmet, inner tube, levers & pump are loaned as part of the hire charge
  • If inner tubes are used they are charged at £5 each.
  • Over 18's must sign for and supervise under 16 year olds.
  • 16 and 17 year olds can ride unsupervised but cannot supervise under 16's
  • All bikes are to be returned by 5pm each day
  • To avoid disappointment we would always advise calling to reserve your bikes before the day.
Who's got THIS one?

http://www.dalbybikebarn.co.uk/sitei...61/6508624.jpg

markc123 15-05-13 07:47 AM

I banged my head on something in the garage last night. On closer inspection its my MTB.

I think it can be wedged into my car so i'm up for this, better find me SPD shoes and shock pump under all the SV bits.

Owenski 15-05-13 08:13 AM

So I seriously need to sort a bike out ASAP then.
Paul did you sell off the hardrock?
I "could" be tempted by the 8/9 or 15/16th but will need to check the calender at home first. Its big birthday season in the Owen house with most weekends taken up with mandatory attendance events, early July would certainly suit me better but I'll still try for the June dates.

Paul the 6th 15-05-13 08:42 AM

yeah sold it for £180 dude. I'll keep an eye out for dates, early july might be better for me tbh. A date poll thread would be a good shout

Owenski 15-05-13 09:23 AM

Fathers days june 16th.. rules that weekend out.

Drew Carey 15-05-13 09:47 AM

I missed the last one, but if you don't mind a folk from Brummie turning up - then dependant on dates I will be up for this.

Also, I will probably be without car, so may have to get train up to someone's on the Friday to make a weekend of it!!! :D

Paul the 6th 15-05-13 10:25 AM

Holla drew ;) hit me up on facey boo or I can call tonight blud. xx

Drew Carey 15-05-13 11:07 AM

Done buddy!

Already got a pass from the wifey providing the dates are ok with us. So once you guys have agreed a date.....I can confirm if free. I won't vote though as will fit what I can in around you guys.

In response to the question earlier on waht bikes - Bikny from the org did the full cannock red route on a 1980's hybrid with no suspension!!! He trashed it, but had a great laugh.

Red routes are fine on anything, but don't be suprised if a cheap hybrid or cheap mtb ends up with some damage. Best bet as has been mentioned is the hire route. IMHO.

Owenski 15-05-13 11:22 AM

The hire bikes were adequate.
Most folk will be fine with those.

ThEGr33k 15-05-13 02:16 PM

Ahhh might be like back in the day with all us blagging around, granted with substantially less BHPs...

Owenski 15-05-13 02:40 PM

I'd just arranged to view an Orange Missile I'd spy'd on ebay only to be told someone had just hit the buy it now so it was no longer available :(
Gutted.

I'm looking at this one now:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orange-Pat...item27d2cc7552

punyXpress 15-05-13 02:56 PM

Dont tell these burghers - most of them have quicker ( and lighter ) fingers than you & me! ;)

Drew Carey 15-05-13 03:30 PM

That patriot is a lovely example of an older one......loving the Pace forks on that!!!

Lot of bike for the money.

Would love one of the newer style Patriot frames!

Owenski 17-05-13 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got one!
http://forums.sv650.org/attachment.p...1&d=1368776081

The same bloke who was selling the Orange had this one about to come up for sale, I saw the spec and saw the frame (knowing the SC cham' is super light) I just couldn't resist. Damn near bit his hand off at the price he wanted.

Basic Spec:
Santa Cruz Chameleon (2006-2008)
Mavic 717 rims on hope hubs
Hope Mono brakes front and rear
Rock shox Revelation 150 forks

Its been set up as a fixed ring commuter atm but it will certainly be getting a groupset before hitting the trails.
I'm made up with it especially as the brakes and forks would sell for more than I bought the whole thing for.

AndyBrad 17-05-13 03:29 PM

Im in lads. Get a date to suit you guys as im pretty mowed out atm. Would love to come.
:D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

yorkie_chris 17-05-13 03:46 PM

What's the thinking then? Actually early july would be good for me too.

Drew Carey 17-05-13 03:50 PM

But July is soooooooooooooooo far away!! ;-)

Paul the 6th 17-05-13 04:25 PM

early july holllaaaaa