SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Little bump in my van (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=231325)

DomP 13-11-18 09:57 PM

Little bump in my van

It's been a while since I posted on here.

Long story short, I today reversed into a car in traffic moving out of the way of the tail end of an artic trailer that pushed it's way out of a junction on my left. I didn't see her in my wing mirrors but went back all of 15-30 cms before the bump which is all it was.

Exchanged numbers etc and got photos but she was trying to leave telling me she was in a hurry which made me suspicious. I wonder if she was still travelling forwards?

I accepted I'd reversed into her and apologised.

Since then I've informed my insurance but she has contacted me saying she's been advised to go to be to get it inspected so she'll let me know how much it costs which I don't believe. I think she is just trying to get cash out of me.

What do you guys and girls think of this?

Adam Ef 13-11-18 10:06 PM

Re: Little bump in my van

Are there any witnesses?

DomP 13-11-18 10:13 PM

There were but none stopped as it was school drop off time so we moved into a car park to exchange numbers. She really didn't wa t me to take photos of her totally undamaged bumper. She must have been right up my a$$ as I only went back max a foot

DomP 13-11-18 10:14 PM

I do have the photos!

Bibio 14-11-18 12:27 AM

you have informed your insurance. its upto the other party involved to do the same. NEVER EVER agree to fix another persons car EVER. NEVER EVER agree to hand over cash for repairs. ALWAYS go through your insurance.

shiftin_gear98 14-11-18 06:16 AM

As above, let her get it checked out and then pass all the details and photos to your insurance. Do not give her any money. Good luck.

DomP 14-11-18 07:46 AM

Oh don't worry I won't be handing any money over, I'm leaving it to the insurance, just concerned if she goes to blow they will try to do unnecessary work

Adam Ef 14-11-18 08:27 AM

Is there any damage to your van? She'd need witnesses too to prove that she didn't drive in to you too. Having photos is good. You didn't tell your insurance that you admitted liability did you? They often have small priint saying it invalidates your insurance if you do.

DomP 14-11-18 08:44 AM

I did admit it, one because there were people about, 2 because it's what happened but there was no damage and it honestly was a kid of bumpers

Adam Ef 14-11-18 09:31 AM

Did you tell your insurance company that you admitted it?

Adam Ef 14-11-18 09:35 AM

I had similar a few years back. i was doing a 3 point turn. really obvious. I was moving, reverse lights on and a guy drove in behind me, being impatient, not wanting to wait for me. He said it was my fault and I said it was his and he should have waited. He pointed at water on the floor and said it came from his engine because I'd damaged it with the impact. Impossible at 1mph and I pointed out that it was a puddle and they were everywhere as it had rained not long ago and was a summers day so roads were drying quick and leaving puddles. He was trying everything to pin something on me. Not even the slightest mark on my bumper or his. We exchanged details. I never heard from him again.

DomP 14-11-18 10:01 AM

Well I kind of had to admit it really as I didn't want to get caught up in lying or changing my story. Fact is there was not even a mark, I'd put a photo up but I forget how to on here. I still am curious as to why she seemed so close to me when I went back and it has led me and my daughter to query if she was still travelling forwards at the time. Is my daughter who's 12 a good enough witness and should I call my insurance to mention this?

Bibio 14-11-18 10:30 AM

something you have to remember is that each repair has to go through an assessor. its not your worry if they do have unnecessary work done. if the other person dont make a claim then thats it over and done.

an insurance company cant stop a client admitting blame.. no matter whats written in their small print. they do advise not to say anything but its entirely upto the individual what they say.

DomP 14-11-18 10:34 AM

They didn't advise me any of that to be honest, should I call them to amend it?

Bibio 14-11-18 10:38 AM

your worrying about nothing. you have informed your insurance and its up to the other party to do the same. until your insurance get back to you then sit back and relax.

DomP 14-11-18 10:42 AM

Thanks Bibio i will try to do that, I'm having a bad week and this has just added to it. I've never been in an accident that has been my fault

Adam Ef 14-11-18 12:24 PM

If you have a photo of their car to show there's no damage they'd be stupid to get unnecccesary work done as they may end up paying for it out of their own pocket as they shouldn't be able to claim for it. It's their risk I guess but why go to that hassle if there's nothing to fix. Even getting a car in to fix and waiting for it back is more hassle than I'd be prepared to go to for no real reason.
If it comes to it explain to your insurance that you feel they may have been moving at the time and it would be at most a 50/50 fault unless they could prove otherwise. They'd be hard pressed to prove that without a witness too I'd have thought.
I had my wife as a witness once when I was knocked off. My solicitor friend advised that she was still a witness even though related to me. So, not independent, but a witness nonetheless. It's when Police are involved that witnesses have to be independant. If it went further with you then it woud be a civil case if it really got fought long term and your daughter is a valid witness. If she had to go to court to defend you she'd be swearing to tell the truth, so would be taken seriously as a witness.
It's unlikely to come to any of this though.
As Bibio says, it's out of your hands and may come to nothing. Sit back and wait. There's nothing more you can do.
I was convinced my guy was going to try and get money out of me, but weeks and months passed and I never heard another thing.

DomP 14-11-18 03:39 PM

Well just when I thought I was worrying about nothing my insurance have told me she is making a claim!

There's nothing to claim! I'm not convinced my insurance are fighting my corner.

How do I post a photo?

SV650rules 14-11-18 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomP (Post 3094959)
I did admit it, one because there were people about, 2 because it's what happened but there was no damage and it honestly was a kid of bumpers

If the other people were not related to her and she didn't take their details it is your word against hers that you admitted liability. Anyway that is what insurance is for, as long as she doesn't claim for whiplash injuries.

Heorot 14-11-18 03:53 PM

I'm a retired claims handler. Send the photos of her bumper to your insurer to prove there was no damage. Every little helps.

DomP 14-11-18 03:54 PM

Roll on Friday is all I can say.

DomP 14-11-18 04:52 PM

Thanks Heorot, I have done just that along with a video, neither of which was she happy with me doing

Adam Ef 14-11-18 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomP (Post 3094993)

How do I post a photo?

Upload your photo online somewhere on an image hosting site. Then find it and view it on it's own in a web browser by right (or left? can't remember on pc) clicking and selecting view image. The address of the image will be in the address bar of your browser. Copy that and then create a post here, click on the little mountain pic rectangle button above the window that you're writing in and paste the image address into the box that pops up.

Adam Ef 14-11-18 08:01 PM

If you think she was moving at the time then make sure you tell your insurance company that too.

DomP 14-11-18 08:14 PM

I did but they weren't remotely interested, they just kept saying I was still at fault. Not impressed with Onecall

DomP 14-11-18 09:22 PM

I knew it! The theiving scum! I should point out that i know the person who i hit and her family are dodgy, she has messaged me saying bmw will charge her an estimated £312 to inspect her car but she's willing for me to settle it out of insurance. No mention of repairing any damage! I'm screenshotting that to send to my insurer right now.

Bibio 14-11-18 09:41 PM

calm down, take a deep breath and say
"no i would prefer to settle matters through my insurance"
"i suggest that you take the matter up with my insurer"
"i would appreciate it if you kept all further correspondence regarding the matter to my insurer and not me"

ooohhh and for future reference.. dont give out your phone number.

Heorot 15-11-18 12:11 AM

Absolutely Bibs. My rule was if my insured was contacted by the other party, they were to refuse to discuss it with them and to tell them to contact their insurer.

Red ones 15-11-18 02:39 AM

+1

You pay for your insurance, use them. Get them earning the premium by doing the work for you.
It amazes me how many people willingly grumble about the cost of a contract, insurance, service etc but then do the job for them.

Biker Biggles 15-11-18 08:22 AM

Let the insurance deal with it. If you were reversing at the time I think you probably are liable even if the other driver was possibly moving too. The only issue will be what if any damage was done. Best just chalk it up to experience and move on.

chris8886 15-11-18 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red ones (Post 3095025)
+1

You pay for your insurance, use them. Get them earning the premium by doing the work for you.
It amazes me how many people willingly grumble about the cost of a contract, insurance, service etc but then do the job for them.

my thinking has always been that you will then penalised the next time your insurance comes up for renewal. as they now ask about whether you have had any accidents "regardless of fault" which does annoy me.

Heorot 16-11-18 03:42 PM

That's not necessarily true A couple of years ago I had a bump in a car park where I reversed from a spot but didn't see another car had stopped behind me as I moved off. My fault and the claim went in. My next renewal was the same as the previous year. Aviva.

Red Herring 16-11-18 05:57 PM

Shame you didn't get the Artic details. Technically if you were reversing in order to avoid a collision with them it could be argued they carry some liability. Note I say technically, in real life you've got no chance!

As with all the other advice, sit back, relax and let the insurance company handle it. Forward any correspondence from the other party and don't give them anything, be it cash, suitable "Advice", or the middle finger......