SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   BT Master Socket (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=224516)

shiftin_gear98 19-10-16 09:28 AM

BT Master Socket

Ok, next mission.
From what I gather I am not allowed to move this myself. YouTube would suggest it's possible. However if I **** it up it could cost about £150 to get Open Reach to come and sort it out. With a slapped wrist.

Have any of you got Open Reach to move yours I believe it's the same cost? Was it straightforward or a right ball ache to get them to come out?
If so, did you contact direct or did your service provider arrange it?

Read somewhere that the line has 50v running through it which if a call comes through can peak to 900v. Not something I'd like to be holding at the time.

Thanks.

DarrenSV650S 19-10-16 10:13 AM

Re: BT Master Socket

lol 900v? Nowhere near it. Nothing that will harm you at all. If you can move it without touching any of the cores together you're golden. If you trip BT's fuse you'll be in trouble

shiftin_gear98 19-10-16 10:17 AM

Darren, In trouble, or having to buy another faceplate - loads for sale on Ebay.
Or would it cause issue back up the line?
Just trying to get through to Sky, who have to contact Open Reach. Tried BT they say I don't have an account with them.

DarrenSV650S 19-10-16 10:37 AM

You won't do any harm to the faceplate. I mean if you trip their fuse you'll have to get them to sort it and explain why you were messing with it without their permission

shiftin_gear98 19-10-16 11:08 AM

I'm more than happy to get them out. So far it's a ball ache even trying to get through to Sky.
Why does **** like this have to be so complicated.

shiftin_gear98 19-10-16 12:39 PM

Just spent 33 mins of my life on the phone to Sky, paid £130.00. Now just waiting for Open Reach to ring me back tonight. Not sure it can be this straight forward. Sure it'll go tits up.

DJFridge 20-10-16 11:03 PM

Due to an absolute work of genius by a previous owner, our master socket is basically inaccessible in the loft. When we had trouble (an overheating router caused BT to cap our line speed at 0.5MB for two weeks) I ended up disconnecting all the extensions wired into it apart from one in our dining room that looks like a master socket. Everything is now connected to that and, if asked whether I've connected through the master socket, I just say "Yes". The really annoying thing is that the "pretend" socket is much closer to where the phone line comes into the house than the proper master socket is but I've never seen the point of spending over a hundred quid tidying up after a numpty.

shiftin_gear98 21-10-16 11:06 AM

Well two days later and Open Reach haven't rung yet. Sky took all card details over the phone to confirm they can access the £130.00. Looks like this IS going to turn into a saga. One that after awhile I'll say **** it and move it myself.
Why did BT and "numptys" put these things in stupid places. ****s..

Bibio 21-10-16 01:15 PM

they will put it in a place that is easiest for them to install and closest to the main cable entry without making too much mess. when they move it they will surface route and staple a new cable to your chosen point.

can i ask why you want it moved?

shiftin_gear98 21-10-16 03:08 PM

Decorating. We have parquet flooring currently covered by the previous owners outdated carpet. I understand BT put it in an easy place etc. But in those days it didn't need to be near a power socket. They have brought it in by the front door, fair enough. Then run it across the base of the stairs and stuck it to the wall. Only power socket in the room is the otherside of the room. When we moved in I lifted the carpet and ran a power cable around edge by the gripper. Again across base of stairs, worked perfect with carpet. However carpets on borrowed time. Without it there would be an unsightly power cable trailing halfway around the room. Not to mention a trip hazard for everyone coming down the stairs. Quite happy to pay the money to get them to move it. Just can't understand why it's such a hassle to get them out. Especially as no-one else is supposed to touch it.

Bibio 21-10-16 05:10 PM

you would have been cheaper and better getting a qualified spark in to put a plug socket next to the phone socket. how far away is the consumer unit from the phone point? are your floors concrete?

shiftin_gear98 21-10-16 06:20 PM

Yeah, concrete floors. It's just in a naff place, my stairs have a turn. The socket is on the bit that sticks out into the room. Right next to a radiator. It's really not a great place. It's just the burocracy that gets me. I rang BT as it's theirs. Get to speak to someone in India, who tells me I'm not their customer so have to contact Sky. Which are next to useless. Took ages to get to the right department. Guy on phone actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Went through all the details, took card details for payment. Not left my account yet. Said Open Reach would ring in the next 48hrs. Even gave a preferred time slot to ring me. Guess what the 48 hrs just lapsed 17 mins ago. No phone call. Nada.

NTECUK 22-10-16 01:45 PM

My BT master Socket got moved by the internet fairies next to the TV and router.....

shiftin_gear98 22-10-16 02:40 PM

I bet their easier to contact.

DJFridge 22-10-16 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTECUK (Post 3056517)
My BT master Socket got moved by the internet fairies next to the TV and router.....

I presume you slept through the whole thing ;)

NTECUK 23-10-16 09:58 AM

I did hear a faint cry of " can you see the wire" as it was fed down the conduit.a and noticed this
http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/26532-t...nction-box.jpg
In the loft the next time I was up there.
Unfortunately the cost of the box and cable also got the fairy treatment and disappeared.
£3.36 Inc vat for the box.
£5.46 Inc vat for 8 metres cable.

DJFridge 23-10-16 09:41 PM

Sounds like the internet fairies did you a very good deal

NTECUK 24-10-16 07:35 AM

Yep and a lot quicker than open wallet's 6 weeks waiting list.

dizzyblonde 24-10-16 09:33 AM

BT or Sky can be exceptionally irritating. Our house recently got hit by lightening, along with another four out of the terrace. Even the chap next door with an all singing all dancing new electric system in the house wasn't spared. We lost a lot of high cost equipment. The insurance company were brilliant... However.... Trying to explain to someone in India, that is on the end of a terrible line, that no end of testing will work, because the hub power supply plug, is as black as the ace of spades, as is the telephone power plug, is near impossible. I can't tell you what colour my hub is displaying, I daren't plug it in! The whole terrace had various phones and broadband blown, I could almost hear BT rubbing their hands together in glee!
I think Sky used the same person too. Trying to explain that your box isn't picking up signal and you don't care it's out of warranty, it's not the box, it's the thing stuck up in the air, the same one that blew into a shower of sparks next door but one!
Both tried charging call outs, both didn't get away with it. I spent almost a week getting through to a person who had a brain, and when I finally got a new hub delivered, I received an ethernet cable instead!!!!! So another week wasted! I got a paltry ten quid refund for the wasting of time, and both BT and Sky engineers had to do some work. At least I didn't get charged, but I can't imagine how much money they made because of the lightening strikes that night. I had to laugh on the first morning at ringing BT

Due to the recent lightening strike, we are experiencing a high volume of calls.... Making us lots of money and frustrating the hell out of you... Thanks for calling BT, please try again later

shiftin_gear98 24-10-16 02:46 PM

Just realised Sky have taken the £130.00, have I heard from BT? Sweat **** all. Away this week, hence I gave my mobile to ring. Do I have the number to ring them, no because I took a picture of the details and my sodding phone has corrupted the memory card wiping everything. Grrrr

NTECUK 24-10-16 03:01 PM

Um well as the Japanese say
" 為せば成る".

shiftin_gear98 24-10-16 03:40 PM

43 mins of my life later, damn I hate Sky. I finally get through. Turns out instead of ringing me to arrange an appointment they have just booked it. For this Thursday. For F##ksake!! I'm away this week. Oh you should of got an SMS allowing you to change it. Have I had this. No. Do they have a record of the message? No. Do I now have grumpy kids cause we have to go home early. YES. If I cancel our holiday they better ****ing turn up. Did I mention I hate Sky.

DJFridge 24-10-16 10:35 PM

I've never found Sky too bad. BT on the other hand? There have been many times when I happily visualised myself outside their HQ with an RPG. I think the most frustrating thing is that, no matter what time of day or day of the week you call, "we are currently experiencing high call volumes" gets used every time. Either they have a system so cr@p that they are, indeed, experiencing high call volumes all the time, in which case they desperately need more engineers to improve it, or they are lying and what they actually need is better call centres to answer a perfectly normal level of calls. Last time we had proper trouble with them at work I ended up posting an open letter to the CEO on Facebook.

shiftin_gear98 27-10-16 01:02 PM

Wow, Open Reach are actually here, when they said they'd be.