SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   First Bike, Seems like a wrong choice...Any advice please? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=146631)

airbornesnake 14-02-10 10:03 AM

First Bike, Seems like a wrong choice...Any advice please?

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to this forum, though I checked out a few threads on here prior to buying my first bike; a 2000 fully faired SV650s..So my problem:

I am a complete novice to the motorcycling world, have no driving experience, did fairly terrible on my CBT(did it twice!), yet decided to buy a 650cc bike for a first bike without ever sitting on any bike greater than a 125cc! The distance involved in the purchase meant that I couldn't try it out as it were before paying for it.
So now I have the bike, but power seems a bit too much for a beginner! I'm never relaxed any time I sit on this bike. I'm in the process of doing my restricted licence at the moment but this whole experience has put me off biking slightly....So my question is:

Is this a common phenomenon for newbie bikers? Will I get used to it after a while? Will restricting this bike tame the 'tiger'? Or should I part exchange or sell it for a 125cc bike?Any general advice welcome. Many thanks

timwilky 14-02-10 10:07 AM

Re: First Bike, Seems like a wrong choice...Any advice please?

The SV is not a powerful bike. I know one lass who got an R1 as her first bike. The throttle works in two ways, you just need to know how to turn in away from you.

cutting its balls when you get road legal will have little effect as it really only affects the top end, not how it gets there.

It is a fun bike to learn to ride on, once get over your initial trepidation, you will have a huge smile and wonder what the fuss was all about

Drew Carey 14-02-10 10:10 AM

Can I just ask, as it is not clear from your post, have you taken your full bike test after your CBT?

dizzyblonde 14-02-10 10:11 AM

A lot of people have a restricted SV, and they do ok with it. Sure you cut the BHP down by doing it, but its still a bigger bike than what you are used to.
I suppose many people have their doubts when they first get a big bike....the SV was maaaahhhooosive to me when I first sat on her, and I'd been riding around on a GS for my DAS and had a cruiser 125 of my own.

I reckon sticking with it, you may feel different after passing your test.

airbornesnake 14-02-10 10:13 AM

Thanks for the quick inputs. To answer the previous question: No I haven't taken my full bike test yet! I have my Mod 1 test on Tuesday and will book my Mod 2 test upon passing my Mod 1. Thanks

Paul the 6th 14-02-10 10:14 AM

doooon't panic mate, I passed my test on a 500 which I thought was superfast, then got on the 650 and thought that was the fastest thing around, then that wore off and I got an sv1000.... less than a year on there's times where I wish I had an extra 20-30bhp even though I don't need it. What can I say I'm a greedy sod when it comes to speed/power

new sensations, new experiences etc... Give yourself a bit of time and you'll be ok :)

Drew Carey 14-02-10 10:14 AM

Cool......do you know what bike you will be doing the test on? 125 or the bigger one?

Either way, with or without a restrictor, just take it slowly, enjoy it and practice practice practice.

wyrdness 14-02-10 10:20 AM

Is it a restricted bike? If not, then you're riding it illegally and you should get it restricted. Otherwise it's only 33bhp, which really isn't a lot. You'll get used to that quite quickly and then want to get it derestricted for more power.

simesb 14-02-10 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyrdness (Post 2181529)
Is it a restricted bike? If not, then you're riding it illegally and you should get it restricted. Otherwise it's only 33bhp, which really isn't a lot. You'll get used to that quite quickly and then want to get it derestricted for more power.

If he's not passed the test, then it is illegal at any power output unless under the direct supervision of an approved instructor.

Paul the 6th 14-02-10 10:25 AM

steady guys he hasn't even said whether he's riding it or anything yet - may have tested it on private property or just rev'd it/watched the needle jumping up and down, and then thought "Shizzle, this is a bit powerful"

give him chance :) welcome along by the way mate!

airbornesnake 14-02-10 10:31 AM

To clarify a few points raised, I haven't done my full test yet...I will be doing the first part of my test(the Module 1) on a 125cc bike this Tuesday. Regarding the legality of riding the bike, I wanted to have a feel of the machine so I got a mate to take it to a local car park, where I rode around for a bit. I am yet to ride it properly on the road; rest assured that will be after I've got my full license and restricted it to 33bhp.Thanks

Paul the 6th 14-02-10 10:35 AM

no worries mate :) if you've not done any training on a bigger bike like a 500/have only ever ridden a 125 then it will feel quite monstrous I'd imagine.

I did my cbt, then 2 years later booked 18 hours of lessons - the honda cb500's felt like rockets for the first 2 lessons, then I got used to the handling and power etc. I think if I had tested a 650 round a carpark before ever having had any proper big bike training then I'd prolly be feeling the exact same way as you.

It's kind of good that you're worried about the power 'cos it shows you've got a bit of respect for it (unlike my mate who says he's gonna pass his test and buy an R1 LOL)..

Like everyone else has said, take your time, listen to the instructor and you'll be bulletproof - most of all, enjoy it :D

jamesterror 14-02-10 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbornesnake (Post 2181514)
Is this a common phenomenon for newbie bikers? Will I get used to it after a while? Will restricting this bike tame the 'tiger'? Or should I part exchange or sell it for a 125cc bike?Any general advice welcome. Many thanks

Your answer is..... I did it, and love it - never rode before my CBT, the 125 I rode was like a snail, getting on the SV was a change, but for the better!

Restriction..... well I've not rode mine de-restricted but find it fairly forgiving really.

Don't get a 125, you'll regret it.

jacksuzukisv650 14-02-10 10:52 AM

if you find the sv physically to big why not go for a kawasaki zxr 400 there designed for small people lol
my sv is restricted ive toured france and england wiked bike ...

metalhead19 14-02-10 11:35 AM

I did the same. No riding before the CBT, had a 125 that topped at mayb 50 if was lucky, then took my test n got an SV (restricted) 2 months later. Yeah the power increase you have to get used to, but when you first start riding it its about being diligent with the throttle, learning how to use it i guess

dizzyblonde 14-02-10 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul the 6th (Post 2181539)
I think if I had tested a 650 round a carpark before ever having had any proper big bike training then I'd prolly be feeling the exact same way as you.

When I decided I wanted to learn to ride a bike, I got my mate to take me round the corner to a big open empty car park. Bearing in mind I had never even sat on a bike back then......and I had my very first taster on a 1340 Harley:takeabow: It was like riding a cow(well actually I still think that)
Learning clutch control and riding in a straight line on that was errrrrrr interesting, but not scary:p

pce13 14-02-10 11:52 AM

i went from a 125cc to my sv650s and for me it was a bit intimidating getting use to the throttle but after that its fine, biggest thing next is the weight difference and slow maneuvering but again its just practice to get use to it.
Its a more powerful bike but you dont have to use the power but its nice to have it to get out of a situation...

ride sensibly and take your time

SuzukiNess 14-02-10 12:53 PM

dont panic :) you'll get use to it... quicker than you think.. i went from a 125 Varadero to the SV. first ride on the SV was 30 miles home... very cautious in the beginning but loved it by the time i got home...

good choice in bike imho to start off on after the 125

Bunks 14-02-10 12:55 PM

My advice for what it's worth is to stick with it.

My bike was in for a service a while ago and I needed to get home. They lent me one of the 125 training bikes to get back on. It was terrible. It wanted to follow every imperfection in the road, would only do 55 mph, the brakes where ****.

Once you get used to the power of the SV, I think you'll actually find it easier to ride than a small 125.

Milky Bar Kid 14-02-10 12:57 PM

I spent a lot of time in a carpark along the road from me. I had my licence, restricted, but I still went into the car park and did a lot of slow speed control stuff, got me used to the weight of the bike and also the feel of the "snatchyness" of the V-Twin. I just did loops, U-turns, figure of eights, until I had built up my confidence to give it a go on the road.

speedplay 14-02-10 01:01 PM

The sv is a great little bike to start with.

It is refered to by a lot of people as "a starter bike".
Its got enough power to ease you into biking nicely but is also quite forgiving if you get things slightly wrong.

Where are you based?
It might be a good excercise for you once you pass your test to go out with a few of the guys here and get a feel for the bike with people riding the same type of bike.

Stu 14-02-10 01:06 PM

Just out of interest, how old are you?
If you can pass a test on a 125cc, a restricted SV shouldn't be too great a step up. From your first post, I would definitely not advise you to part ex your SV for a 125 - just get as much practice as you can before you get through your test. Good luck

Biker Biggles 14-02-10 01:11 PM

I wouldny f&rt about with CBT stuff.Just bite the bullet and do your full test.This involves several days of tuition where you will learn the basics and get a bit of confidence on the road.Then you should find the SV is a pretty good compromise bike to get experience.Its not so slow as to be dangerous and not so quick as to be intimidating.

Stu 14-02-10 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker Biggles (Post 2181626)
Just bite the bullet and do your full test.

But does require a valid CBT certificate ;)

Sean_C 14-02-10 01:29 PM

Don't worry about the SV being too big/ too much. Most of it comes down to the maturity of the rider. There are plenty of very little people that can handle their SV just fine. If you treat it with respect and approach it with maturity, you should do just fine.
What MBK says about doing lots of slow speed practice is a very good suggestion. Start from the ground up- get a firm grasp on slow speed control, and the quicker stuff will be easier because you have the basics.

TazDaz 14-02-10 01:38 PM

Just testing it in a car park won't really give you much feel on how it handles etc. I'm sure once you've passed your test and actually get some road miles under your belt, you'll have a much greater feel for how to ride it.

From having zero motorcycle or scooter experience, I did 1 day CBT, 2 days lessons then my test the next morning, then waited 3 months (whilst on order) then jumped on my SV. The 3 and a bit days on a 125 was enough to tell me that it simply wasn't big enough for me.

Sean_C 14-02-10 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TazDaz (Post 2181645)
Just testing it in a car park won't really give you much feel on how it handles etc. I'm sure once you've passed your test and actually get some road miles under your belt, you'll have a much greater feel for how to ride it.

From having zero motorcycle or scooter experience, I did 1 day CBT, 2 days lessons then my test the next morning, then waited 3 months (whilst on order) then jumped on my SV. The 3 and a bit days on a 125 was enough to tell me that it simply wasn't big enough for me.

Testing in a car park won't give you much feel on how it handles through the twisties, but that isn't the aim. The idea is that you get comfortable and confident handling your bike at slow speeds, carrying the weight, pulling away and stopping nice and smoothly, stuff like that.

Milky Bar Kid 14-02-10 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TazDaz (Post 2181645)

You were pretty comfortable though. The OP isn't, like I wasn't. You are more likely to drop the bike at slow speed when starting out, like I did with the bandit. Whilst doing the slow speed stuff in a car park won't help you learn to corner, it will help you to become smooth using all of the controls.

Slow speed control is majorly important...hence spending a lot of time on it when learning?? :rolleyes:

Geodude 14-02-10 02:11 PM

When i passed my test i got an sv650 naked and i was so terrified of taking it out that i sat looking at it for 3 weeks before i got my nerve up to venture out on it. Once i got out and moving i quickly realised how daft i had been for not taking it out sooner as there really great bikes to start out on.

Bri w 14-02-10 02:14 PM

Hi,

In the first reply, TimWilky's I think, he makes mention of throttle control. You don't have to open it right to the stop.

MilkyBarKid suggests you find a deserted carpark, which is another good idea. Also try an industrial estate when its quiet - they come with proper road markings.

When you do go out, especially in the early days, don't go out for hours on end. You'll be brain dead after a couple of hours and are more likely to make a mistake. Make sure your time on your bike is quality learning time.

As for being nervous... I'm just back on a bike in the summer, after severals years off, and I'm nervous. The way I'm pottering about its not a crash helemt I need its a flat cap.

Don't worry about the SV, just get some quality time on the bike. You'll be amazed at the difference in no time.

thulfi 14-02-10 02:17 PM

I think those who jumped from a 125 to 500cc in training never forget that initial "ohh sweet mother this is amazing" feeling you get when u pull away at the throttle on a 500.

I actually found the 500 much easier to ride than those suzuki GS125's we had to cbt on. Now, I see 125's whizzing around on the road and am actually scared for them. I wouldn't feel comfy riding a geared 125 on the road.

My first bike was an SV650, and it was perfect. Also, everyone goes on about the throttle, but don;t forget the clutch control as well. I got used to keeping the revs well up and controlling the clutch tightly.

Many people drop the 500's in training, especially on figure of 8's. I think this is because they're scared of applying to much throttle, so they under do the throttle, clutch is out too far, bike stalls whilst leaning, down they go. I found my throttle 'sense' came after I'd passed, and had got used to the bike I got.

Throttle on to a decent rev, let clutch out gently, hold it steady, and work your way around the course. Piece of pie, then you'll pass, and the real learning will start. Good luck mate.

dizzyblonde 14-02-10 02:34 PM

125s are jerky, snatchy and awful. My instructor was nervous to put me on a larger machine, as my hatred for his 125 came out as if I rode it crap. Even though I had my own 125 parked in his car park, that was better to ride.
Reluctantly he handed me the keys of his GS in a car park, whilst eating butties sat on a wall. I'd told him I'd change his mind if he'd put faith in my riding, and sure enough I showed him figure of 8s were much more a piece of cake than the piece of crap I'd been on previously. He was much happier and immediately got us on the road.

'' Actually your backside does look much better on that bike '' he proclaimed, which I had to laugh at, and sighed a relief because to me that comment was confidence boosting.
And the six ft odd bloke was having riding the RS thing he had to swap onto :-)

Larger machines are smoother in every sense of the word, very helpful when learning.
EEE happy dayz :-)

metalmonkey 14-02-10 02:47 PM

I did my DAS, in between I rode a 125 which I covered about 2500 miles on while I owned it...

I went and paid for SV before I even took my test, I walked in the bike shop I was like I would like that please:cool: When I first got on my bike I was like, oh what have I do.

I rode 80 miles the first day I got it, then quickly ran in it and got it serviced @ 600 miles. As they say the rest is history, 2 1/2 years later 16500 miles I would say I would l love my bike its intense.

Dude just stick with it and ride and ride, oh ride some more. Take your time. You ride the bike, the bike doesn't ride you. Relax and :D its fun you know.

Speaking of bikes I need to go fiddle with mine.

airbornesnake 14-02-10 02:48 PM

Many thanks for all the advice/comments. Sounds like I haven't made a terrible decision with regards to my bike choice after all! As advised, I'll do my test first, then take things slowly from there. I'll get some practice on the SV on a big park or something before venturing on to the road.

And for those who asked, I'm 21yo and live in Southampton. I'm aware that I can opt for the full DAS however my confidence at the moment is rock bottom to the extent that, doing the slalom on a 500cc bike is near unthinkable! Throttle sense is not an issue as I'm not keen on going very quickly just yet however my clutch control is atrocious!!

metalmonkey 14-02-10 02:52 PM

Stop thinking about how bad things are...

Take your weakness and make them the strenghts, relax you ride a bike better that way. One thing at a time!

thulfi 14-02-10 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbornesnake (Post 2181685)
...however my clutch control is atrocious!!

The best advice my instructor told me was that there is no rush letting the clutch out. Keep it tight, control the bike, and release it slowly (at slow speeds/tight turns/etc).

Also make contact with the clutch lever at the end of the lever. You get better control that way. And using a few fingers only seems to help as well.
You'll get the hang of it soon, and be amazed how easy it all really is!

zsv650 14-02-10 03:13 PM

the sv is easier to ride than 125's don't worry about it just take it steady it's a peice of **** riding bike's once it click's.

dizzyblonde 14-02-10 03:16 PM

Quote:

And for those who asked, I'm 21yo and live in Southampton. I'm aware that I can opt for the full DAS however my confidence at the moment is rock bottom to the extent that, doing the slalom on a 500cc bike is near unthinkable! Throttle sense is not an issue as I'm not keen on going very quickly just yet however my clutch control is atrocious!!

Maybe its the bike you are learning on? I was always rubbish with the schools 125 but on my bike was fine, maybe as it was set up for me:p

As for the DAS, IIRC you have to pass that on no less than 46BHP, which is very little difference to 33 BHP restricted SV power wise. You'll still have your 'big bike' at home to get used to, so may as well get used to one you are allowed to make and learn mistakes on first;)
If its any inspiration I did my test four times with my DAS. Nowt wrong with anything I'd learnt, or indeed as the third examiner said, technically every thing is in place just your nerves are so bad, its those that are failing you. That was a fair few years ago, and is a distant memory.

Good luck, sure whatever you do will be fine.

Stu 14-02-10 03:18 PM

Quote:

doing the slalom on a 500cc bike is near unthinkable! Throttle sense is not an issue as I'm not keen on going very quickly just yet however my clutch control is atrocious!!

Have you actually tried it? Maybe you'll be like Dizzy & find it easier than a 125?

I don't want to rush you into anything you're not comfortable with.

I did my CBT on a 500cc & loved it. There's plenty on here that can't wait for there 2 yr restriction to end - but they have no choice.

Drew Carey 14-02-10 03:49 PM

+1 to the above comments, I actually found the 500 smoother, easier clutch control, better brakes etc. Made it easier to ride....the main benefit I could only see of a 125 is the weight and height.

But just remember, do whatever you are comfortable with, no more no less......I promise you this.....you will look back at this thread in 6 months time and realise that doing your test and getting an SV is the best thing you have ever done. PROMISE!!! :D