SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   2009 Annual Rideout (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   I've got my fings for the AR :) (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=136137)

Paul the 6th 22-07-09 12:09 PM

I've got my fings for the AR :)

So, tent, rollmatt, sleepingbag and a ridiculously tiny camping pillow all arrived last week. The yorkshire topbox has been fitted for about 3 weeks now. 4 x ratchet straps off ebay should be here any day soon, I've just found a nice renntec rack off the bay of e so I thought I may as well as I'm looking to get into more camping trips & stuff...

Edit: Added pictures :)

My vango 200 dome tent (thanks for the tip off soulkiss) and my sv with yorkshire topbox :D
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_c5nU_S1VtbY/Sm...ing%20mofo.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_c5nU_S1VtbY/Sm.../s400/tent.jpg

Giggedy
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_c5nU_S1VtbY/Sm...512/inside.jpg

Legs 11
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_c5nU_S1VtbY/Sm.../legs%2011.jpg

Humphrey the duck and Ruby the Rabbit (unfortunately ruby has been banned from being part of my costume as she may run away into the wilds and return with a shopping trolly & a half drunk bottle of vodka)
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_c5nU_S1VtbY/Sm...and%20ruby.jpg

I've been speaking to various orgers on the phone more and more lately (not always when I'm drunk) about the AR. I was on the phone to manxmatt for 40 minutes last night, leedsmatt has sorted his bike out (brakes are safer when they work ;)) and I'm generally getting properly excited...

Has everyone else got their stuff? And more importantly, who's excited?! YEAHHH! :o

Grinch 22-07-09 12:49 PM

Re: I've got my fings for the AR :)

I'd best find the tent in the attic and check it don't leak.

SoulKiss 22-07-09 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul the 6th (Post 1979990)
So, tent, rollmatt, sleepingbag and a ridiculously tiny camping pillow all arrived last week. The yorkshire topbox has been fitted for about 3 weeks now. 4 x ratchet straps off ebay should be here any day soon, I've just found a nice renntec rack off the bay of e so I thought I may as well as I'm looking to get into more camping trips & stuff...

I've been speaking to various orgers on the phone more and more lately (not always when I'm drunk) about the AR. I was on the phone to manxmatt for 40 minutes last night, leedsmatt has sorted his bike out (brakes are safer when they work ;)) and I'm generally getting properly excited...

Has everyone else got their stuff? And more importantly, who's excited?! YEAHHH! :o

I'm so excited I went to the campsite on Sunday along with 9 other excited people :)

No we were not "doing a Scoobs".

the_lone_wolf 22-07-09 12:58 PM

I did a quick test run of strapping the tent, sleeping bag and roll mat to the bike yesterday, where do you get the thin pillows and how well do they work?

Spiderman 22-07-09 01:06 PM

I got mine from a camping shop and it cost all of about £4. Its an inflatable thingy so it should be comfy enough. I'm not normally one for pillows and just use my kit or clothes but last year all my kit was a bit damo and i was wearing most of my clothes at night cos it was a teeny bit chilly and i ended up with a bit or a stiff neck.
So i hope this infaltable works :)

Grinch 22-07-09 01:12 PM

I have one or two of them and they seem to work fine.

Paul the 6th 22-07-09 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf (Post 1980040)
I did a quick test run of strapping the tent, sleeping bag and roll mat to the bike yesterday, where do you get the thin pillows and how well do they work?

I got the compact pillow for £4.99 - it rolls down nice and small but isn't the thickest.. folding it in half makes it thicker but then the contact patch size is tiny... I'll prolly just prop it up with rolled up waterproofs/clothes :)

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/ac...ories_173.html

SoulKiss 22-07-09 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul the 6th (Post 1980062)
I got the compact pillow for £4.99 - it rolls down nice and small but isn't the thickest.. folding it in half makes it thicker but then the contact patch size is tiny... I'll prolly just prop it up with rolled up waterproofs/clothes :)

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/ac...ories_173.html

I usually find the shoulder armour in my leathers is just the right height for a pillow.

Paul the 6th 22-07-09 01:24 PM

he's good is that there soulkiss :) good idea mate :thumbsup:

SoulKiss 22-07-09 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul the 6th (Post 1980068)
he's good is that there soulkiss :) good idea mate :thumbsup:

Another top-tip - dont forget a torch for in your tent at night.

Something like one of these http://www.8starshop.com/images/prod.../wnbb29162.jpg

Is perfect.

plowsie 22-07-09 01:31 PM

I bought a head torch, for £7, it is awesome :)

Paul the 6th 22-07-09 01:32 PM

I bought a maglite style torch from tesco about 2 years ago - £3.99 was the best thing I've ever bought :)

_Stretchie_ 22-07-09 02:07 PM

I've got a collapsable plastic B&Q box, a car battery in it with a 12v power supply attached and 2x 12v flourescent lights plugged in to it.

You will see our tent at night ; ) It glows

Spiderman 22-07-09 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Stretchie_ (Post 1980105)
You will see our tent at night ; ) It glows

Excellent news. I do like a nice fat moth slowly roasted over a campfire and it looks like your tent will be the place to find em :lol:

joshmac 22-07-09 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulKiss (Post 1980069)
Another top-tip - dont forget a torch for in your tent at night.

Something like one of these http://www.8starshop.com/images/prod.../wnbb29162.jpg

Is perfect.

Typical! Just HAD to be LEDs didn't it :lol:;)

I should probably get some stuff sorted :smt031

SoulKiss 22-07-09 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshmac (Post 1980140)
Typical! Just HAD to be LEDs didn't it :lol:;)

I should probably get some stuff sorted :smt031

There is a very funny story regarding a lamp a lot like that one and a borrowed tent...

Bear 22-07-09 04:01 PM

5 Litre tub of used engine oil: Check.

Man traps for the more fleet of foot .Organs: Check.

Paddling Pool and enough custard powder to fill: Check

Industrial strength condoms... Damn, looks like it'll be crisp packets and rubber bands again...

Kuze 22-07-09 04:59 PM

Excited - check

Prepared anything - no lol not even got my first service done yet *gulp*

joshmac 22-07-09 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear (Post 1980219)
5 Litre tub of used engine oil: Check.

Man traps for the more fleet of foot .Organs: Check.

Paddling Pool and enough custard powder to fill: Check

Industrial strength condoms... Damn, looks like it'll be crisp packets and rubber bands again...

:lol: One problem with your plan... if your 'to be molested' victims are covered in oil, you're not gonna be able to keep hold of them :-D

Second thoughts, that plan is perfect mate ;)

kellyjo 22-07-09 05:35 PM

Really ought to try out tent, bought it 4 months ago and its been sitting in a jumbled mess on the floor next to the tv since.
Am getting REALLY excited but a bit nervous too cos i've never done anything remotely like this before. Be gentle with me guys :-)

joshmac 22-07-09 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyjo (Post 1980286)
Really ought to try out tent, bought it 4 months ago and its been sitting in a jumbled mess on the floor next to the tv since.
Am getting REALLY excited but a bit nervous too cos i've never done anything remotely like this before. Be gentle with me guys :-)

Only advice I can give you... if Bear tries to molest you don't listen to his sig, it's a trap! If you go limp that just makes his job easier :shock: I found out the hard way :lol:
It was my first AR last year. Definitely something to look forward to :thumbsup:

joshmac 22-07-09 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulKiss (Post 1980152)
There is a very funny story regarding a lamp a lot like that one and a borrowed tent...

June Brown x3

Spiderman 22-07-09 05:45 PM

KellyJo is bringing her partner so Bear might have his eyes elsewhere and she might be safe...for a few minutes. :lol:

KellyJo...dont worry, you couldnt meet a nicer bunch of nutjobs and fools. you'll be fine and want to do it all again as soon as you're home.
Dont believe me? Check out some of the threads that were posted right after our return from last yeasr AR as an example. I remember A*Hero wrote a great post about his first AR experience and it was just one of many.

joshmac 22-07-09 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiderman (Post 1980295)
KellyJo is bringing her partner so Bear might have his eyes elsewhere and she might be safe...for a few minutes. :lol:

Yeah right! :lol: Her partner will just get molested afterwads ;) hehe

kellyjo 22-07-09 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear (Post 1980219)

Oh Bear, Crisp bags? My kind o' guy would need a bin liner ;)

SoulKiss 22-07-09 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyjo (Post 1980317)
Oh Bear, Crisp bags? My kind o' guy would need a bin liner ;)

I dont think we need to worry about this one...

Bear 22-07-09 06:43 PM

Quote:

... Be gentle with me guys :-)

He he... He he he... HE HE HE... MWAH HA HA HA HA HAAAAA!!! Ha ha ha, oh lord, heh... Yeah, sure. We'll be gentle. Of course we will... :rolleyes:

Bear 22-07-09 06:45 PM

Quote:

... a bit nervous too cos i've never done anything remotely like this before. Be gentle with me guys :-)

Why does this remind me of my first day in Boy Scouts?

Bear 22-07-09 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear (Post 1980352)
Why does this remind me of my first day in Boy Scouts?

Also, I was told that last night I earned a load of Brownie Points for doing the washing up without being asked. When I asked how many I needed before I could get my own Girl Guide, the missus went a bit quiet and left. What did I do wrong?

kellyjo 22-07-09 06:55 PM

Sounds like the bear's quite an exciteable chap - do i need to pack a few whips and chains in case our paths cross and i need to restrain him...:-)

On a more serious note, is there any particular 'etiquette' involved when riding with a group this size, i really don't want to p*** anyone off unintentionally!

Bear 22-07-09 07:03 PM

Yes, wear as little clothing as possible and signal that it's ok to overtake by cupping ones bosom and extending the tongue towards the pointy bit on the end.

Seriously though, as a member of the marker team either one of the other markers or I will brief you on the day for what to do and stuff. It's a slow bimble rather than a thrash, the drop-off markers will show you where to go while you are riding so there's no need to rush to try to keep up with the person in front. Just ride at your own pace and have fun.

This last piece of advice will also apply once I have broken free of the chains, fought through the whips and have you corraled in my tent with the rest of my harem

kellyjo 22-07-09 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear (Post 1980364)
Yes, wear as little clothing as possible and signal that it's ok to overtake by cupping ones bosom and extending the tongue towards the pointy bit on the end.

Hah! Thats how i just got through Mod2 on my first attempt :D

Thanks for the reassuring words Mr.Bear, we may not even have met yet but i flippin' love you already!!

joshmac 23-07-09 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear (Post 1980351)
He he... He he he... HE HE HE... MWAH HA HA HA HA HAAAAA!!! Ha ha ha, oh lord, heh...

I've suddenly got a strong sense of déjà vu from when I arrived at Soho last Friday :razz?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyjo (Post 1980360)
Sounds like the bear's quite an exciteable chap - do i need to pack a few whips and chains in case our paths cross and i need to restrain him...:-)

No no, do NOT do that :lol: It'll only make matters worse... much worse. Don't make it kinky for him ;)

Quiff Wichard 23-07-09 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiderman (Post 1980049)
I got mine from a camping shop and it cost all of about £4. Its an inflatable thingy so it should be comfy enough. I'm not normally one for pillows and just use my kit or clothes but last year all my kit was a bit damo and i was wearing most of my clothes at night cos it was a teeny bit chilly and i ended up with a bit or a stiff neck.
So i hope this infaltable works :)

one hopes you removed your wet undergarments then.. doesnt bear thinking about.

Quiff Wichard 23-07-09 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyjo (Post 1980360)

On a more serious note, is there any particular 'etiquette' involved when riding with a group this size, i really don't want to p*** anyone off unintentionally!

Kelly you cant stop the Bear..

you seen the size of him!.. he is a man mountain.. he is one big hunk o love that man.. I need a Bear hug thinking about it now.. :notworthy:

Alpinestarhero 23-07-09 10:19 AM

I should do a dummy pack

Bear 23-07-09 10:24 AM

Why? there'll be plenty of dummies to choose from when you get there...

Alpinestarhero 23-07-09 10:34 AM

well save one for me then :smt080

Bear 23-07-09 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyjo (Post 1980370)
we may not even have met yet but i flippin' love you already!!

That is only to be expected, you're only human after all. Once you meet me, and I meat you, your impression of me may change significantly...

Paul the 6th 23-07-09 11:36 AM

I'm quite liking bear, he's a mod but not once has he said anything about keeping on topic :D It's like the teachers at school relaxing on the last week before summer holidays!

I've added pics to the original post on the first page :D Proper excited now guys!