SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related) (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=231608)

Seeker 11-12-18 08:30 AM

Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

The Guardian grouped together today's, 11Dec2018, newspaper headlines and quoted from some, including the Telegraph which I wouldn't normally see. The quote is from Allison Pearson who first says:

" I have never felt more ashamed to be a Conservative "

and then follows it up with a coup de grace:

"Oh, for God’s sake, what fresh Brexit hell is this?” and concludes “we continue to be led by a mule flogging a dead horse." http://emoticons.datahamster.com/eek7.gif

Bibio 11-12-18 01:30 PM

Re: Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

the best quote has to be from May.. "no deal is better than a bad deal". we should call the PM, Teresa May-be not.

in or out with no hoki koki.....

ophic 11-12-18 01:56 PM

I reckon she's hoping by delaying the vote, all the MPs will simply go for "whatever, I just don't care any more"

In fact if there's a 2nd referendum and that's an option on the ballot paper...

Bibio 11-12-18 02:37 PM

there wont be a second vote. if there is then SNP will demand that Scotland has a second referendum.

if NI gets a soft border then the SNP will demand the same for Scotland.

yes its the SNP that are throwing the spanner in the works.

SV650rules 11-12-18 04:19 PM

I thought the wee ginger krankie was well popular north of the border.

Another comment heard on radio 4 the other day 'has anyone tried switching Britain off and on again' ?

SV650rules 11-12-18 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeker (Post 3096350)
the power workers' union tried that in the 70s and we got Thatcher. So be careful, when you switch a country as old as Britain on/off you sometimes raise a witch.

Don't do it - we may get Anna Soubry or Amber Rudd

Biker Biggles 11-12-18 07:01 PM

Or even Angela Gruesome.
What a **** poor shower we are stuck with, but we get the politicians we deserve as we elect them.

Talking Heads 11-12-18 07:21 PM

“And to top it all off, the day finished with a woman with a sword chasing a man with a big stick"

Mhairi Black MP

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...-uk-on-brexit/

Bibio 11-12-18 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker Biggles (Post 3096352)
Or even Angela Gruesome.
What a **** poor shower we are stuck with, but we get the politicians we deserve as we elect them.

yes indeed but when there are no decent candidates then we get stuck with who there is on the paper and we must choose someone. this is how Trump got in.

so in reality its **** poor that the public mindlessness vote for the two big party's as a safe bet.. this is why nothing ever changes and the big two get more and more back door power using deep rooted media contacts etc.etc

its up to the public to break the mould but they dont as they are big scaredy pussys who like to be bullied.

dont get me started on the "its a wasted vote" malarkey. you just need to look at Scotland (be it right or wrong) to see that you can in fact change and vote for someone else and it does make a difference and its not a wasted vote. remember that the SNP used to be a bunch of like minded people huddled round a oil drum fire at the bottom of calton hill in Edinburgh to now be the major political party in Scotland and the third largest in the UK.

garynortheast 11-12-18 09:04 PM

This is about the way it is I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NpExkViy6M

Bibio 11-12-18 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3096358)
This is about the way it is I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NpExkViy6M

class :smt043

embee 12-12-18 12:51 AM

I really can't understand why it isn't going very well considering David Davies MP was in charge of the negotiations for over 2 years. :smt102

SV650rules 12-12-18 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embee (Post 3096369)
I really can't understand why it isn't going very well considering David Davies MP was in charge of the negotiations for over 2 years. :smt102

You can't negotiate with the EU, they are in their own political bubble, just like some of the old europeans in the middle ages who thought the world was centre of universe they think that EU is the centre of the world. USA is getting a taste of what our brexit negotiators were up against. Like trying to nail jelly to a wall.

https://www.politico.eu/article/trum...t-of-touch-eu/

keith_d 12-12-18 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3096384)
You can't negotiate with the EU, they are in their own political bubble, just like some of the old europeans in the middle ages who thought the world was centre of universe they think that EU is the centre of the world. USA is getting a taste of what our brexit negotiators were up against. Like trying to nail jelly to a wall.

You have to recognise that the Eurocrats don't want to give the UK a good deal. From their perspective that would just encourage other countries to leave.

Bibio 12-12-18 02:14 PM

i dont understand why we are even asking for deals.. it's like saying i want to leave your social club as i dont like paying my dues but still come in for the cheep booze... ermm GTF

SV650rules 12-12-18 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker Biggles (Post 3096352)
Or even Angela Gruesome.

You can only elect the ones who have their names on the voting card.

Talking Heads 12-12-18 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3096406)
You can only elect the ones who have their names on the voting card.

Actually its only tory MPs who get to vote for the tory leader.

littleoldman2 12-12-18 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3096400)
i dont understand why we are even asking for deals.. it's like saying i want to leave your social club as i dont like paying my dues but still come in for the cheep booze... ermm GTF

More like. We buy an awful lot from this shop and no longer want to pay an entrance fee they say shut up you stupid mug and give us your money if you want to buy our gear.

Fact is it's only a market and we buy a lot more than we sell (and pay over the odds for our pitch). Why we have bothered trying to have meaningful negotiations I do not know, when from the very outset the Europeans have publicly stated that we cannot be allowed to leave with a deal that is better than staying. They have always been prepared to loose a little when we leave in order not to loose everything when others followed.

littleoldman2 12-12-18 06:32 PM

"Why we have bothered trying to have meaningful negotiations I do not know, when from the very outset the Europeans have publicly stated that we cannot be allowed to leave with a deal that is better than staying. They have always been prepared to loose a little when we leave in order not to loose everything when others followed." BTW I don't blame the Europeans at all, I just don't know why we bothered.

SV650rules 12-12-18 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking Heads (Post 3096409)
Actually its only tory MPs who get to vote for the tory leader.

We were talking about electing MP's not PM's

Bibio 12-12-18 07:48 PM

so what exactly are the "deals" that the PM is trying to negotiate?

from what i can gather its more to do with migrants who dont have a UK passport. well as far as i'm concerned then they are "visitors" so will have to apply to become UK citizens or leave. same goes for UK migrants in EU.

trade.. the Gov must be rubbing its hands with all the import duty/tax its going to make. but wait the UK public are now going to see a rise in the price of goods especially white ones, yipeeeeee...

NI border.. yup there has to be one. no floppy or soft borders. i think this is where the biggest problem is going to be as the whole of Ireland will not be happy one little bit about a border again. not to mention the "nippy scots bitch" will want the same if there is a soft border.

so what other "deals" can we expect?

what can the public hope to gain with all the new found wealth?

as far as i'm concerned we are leaving so there should be no deals and i hope that the EU tell us to go do one for being racist fekwits.

south park sums it up well

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/Idealistic...ti-max-1mb.gif

littleoldman2 12-12-18 08:29 PM

The problem with the border is that the EU won't allow the Irish to have an open one, I'm sure the whole of the UK would be reasonably happy with an open border between the UK and Ireland. Problem is it takes two to tango and the the EU have told the Irish not to dance. Perhaps it's bluff time.

Chris_SVS 12-12-18 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleoldman2 (Post 3096419)
The problem with the border is that the EU won't allow the Irish to have an open one, I'm sure the whole of the UK would be reasonably happy with an open border between the UK and Ireland. Problem is it takes two to tango and the the EU have told the Irish not to dance. Perhaps it's bluff time.

Honestly, I'm considering that I may not be able to attend the Wales Weekend..

The deal brought back was actually going to be very good for Ireland, avoid a hard border and allow free travel (which technically I can still do as an Irish passport holder). Typically the DUP are selective as to when they wish to be British and "in line with" but don't seem to realise the potential for a United Ireland much sooner and possibly on their watch.. Something that WILL lead to more bloodshed (I'm 30yo, and cannot remember a peaceful island. I suspect I won't either)

littleoldman2 12-12-18 09:22 PM

I don't think anyone mentioned a united Ireland. I didn't or wouldn't. As far as customs are concerned we currently have an open border and that is what the EU will not allow if there is no deal. But that is up to the Irish. Perhaps I should have made that clear.

Chris_SVS 12-12-18 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleoldman2 (Post 3096421)
I don't think anyone mentioned a united Ireland. I didn't or wouldn't. As far as customs are concerned we currently have an open border and that is what the EU will not allow if there is no deal. But that is up to the Irish. Perhaps I should have made that clear.

I did though ;) because it's relevant on a local level if there is indeed no deal.. Something I feel is quite a likely scenario.

Red ones 12-12-18 09:37 PM

Of course any deal that the EU agrees will be worse than membership. It's a club and the club will protect its members ahead of non members.

If you ran the club would you cut a deal that's better than membership?

The press are doing the "the deal is better than no deal" story. It probably is. But should we accept that as our fate? Do we accept a deal BECAUSE it's better than no deal, when you can be sure the deal is not as good as membership?

MPs generally spotted this quite sometime ago but it's now a game of stare. Who is going to blink first? No one wants to be the first to suggest a second referendum because the SNP will jump up and down and a chunk of the population will say they have been ignored. No one wants to be the first to say we stay in the EU. They all want the talks to fail spectacularly and then look like heroes putting out the fire.

Sadly politicians, press and people have forgotten the ability to drive national pride, interest and fortitude while believing in an united Europe. June 4, 1940 "we will fight in the streets... We will never surrender." September 19, 1946 "If at first all the States of Europe are not willing or able to join the Union, we must nevertheless proceed to assemble and combine those who will and those who can." Both said by the same politician.

Talking Heads 12-12-18 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3096413)
We were talking about electing MP's not PM's

Similar problem, you only get to vote for the candidate the party selects.
In the case of Labour, local constituencies can't even deselect incumbent candidates which is a complete democratic outrage.
All representatives of every party at every level of government should face mandatory reselection at election time.
FFS don't get me started on the house of lords....

SV650rules 13-12-18 09:42 AM

The EU is in 'massive damage control' mode on Brexit, they are fighting for the continued existence of EU (which is a lost cause anyway as they are falling behind the rest of the world anyway - a 1950's political idea in a 21st century world) about as flexible as a lump of granite. Varadkar (despite the huge amount of trade RofI does with UK) offered to be the EU useful idiot in frustrating a clean Brexit in the hope maybe of getting a united Ireland out of it if he was intransigent enough) I was buying some stuff the other day and it was almost in my trolly when I saw 'made in R of I and the telltale flag on the boxes - went straight back on the shelf, also buy Cornish butter and English cheese now, and nothing Scottish until they get rid of the wee ginger Krankie.

Talking Heads 13-12-18 09:59 AM

Rest assured up here stuff with union jackery all over it gets left on the shelves too.

England has always hated Europe and thought itself superior.
Well the EU has handed Westminster its @r5e on a plate.
Teresa's only hope is to revoke article 50 and blame the SNP for it, we get the blame for everything else so why not this too.

SNP only rose in popularity because of how badly Scotland is treated by England.

Prediction: the UK is over, England has killed it.

punyXpress 13-12-18 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red ones (Post 3096423)
Sadly politicians, press and people have forgotten the ability to drive national pride, interest and fortitude while believing in an united Europe. June 4, 1940 "we will fight in the streets... We will never surrender." September 19, 1946 "If at first all the States of Europe are not willing or able to join the Union, we must nevertheless proceed to assemble and combine those who will and those who can." Both said by the same politician.

As well as: " 1934: Winston Churchill warned that weak defences could mean that Britain could be "tortured into absolute subjection :
in any war with Germany "
How right he was 84 years ago!

SV650rules 13-12-18 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punyXpress (Post 3096437)
As well as: " 1934: Winston Churchill warned that weak defences could mean that Britain could be "tortured into absolute subjection :
in any war with Germany "
How right he was 84 years ago!

I am afraid that although Germany 'lost' both world wars it has actually 'won the peace' through its ownership of the EU, make no mistake Germany calls the shots in EU, they just changed 'Deutschmark' to 'Euro' and carried on taking over Europe state by state. The Euro makes it easy for Germany to rule EU trade, a common currency means that other EU countries cannot undercut it, although tourist dependent countries like Greece, Italy and Spain always need a relatively weak currency to make their destination attractive to tourists.

ophic 13-12-18 11:08 AM

So by leaving we're just waving the white flag and saying you can have it? Definite change of policy there.

SV650rules 13-12-18 11:23 AM

Under the new rules of democracy in the UK ( the definition has been changed during the last 2 years ) the ERG is calling for a re-run of the no confidence vote because Mp's did not understand what they were voting for, and the 'remain with Theresa' party overspent on their campaign. Theresa May did survive but with only around 40 votes in it ( less than 15% of Conservative MP's) she is badly damaged. To achieve that small majority she had to promise not to lead the party into the next election (after her 'one man' handling of the 2017 election where she composed the party manifesto on her own and non of the cabinet was allowed to see it until it was too late to change it - there is a pattern emerging here).

ophic 13-12-18 11:54 AM

I agree here. Everything seems to be done by means of political tricks and "working the system" to one's advantage. We're losing the point of it all.

Bibio 13-12-18 12:30 PM

the only country's products i refuse to buy are from Zimbabwe and thats due to the atrocity's they done to British farmers. apart from that i buy any produce from any country. why deny myself the pleasure of something because of the flag on the packaging. i know which things to stay away from like Spanish strawberry's but their raspberry's are superb. oohhh and i wont buy from USA for the fact its all tasteless shizz pumped full of chemicals.

i would go as far to say that i find all the variety of foods available from all over the globe amazing. i was eating grapes from Peru last night and they were lovely.

what i have been disappointed with this year is the quality of British fruit and veg but we can only blame the weather for that.

why cant i get leeks from Wales.... lol

littleoldman2 13-12-18 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking Heads (Post 3096433)
Rest assured up here stuff with union jackery all over it gets left on the shelves too.

England has always hated Europe and thought itself superior.
Well the EU has handed Westminster its @r5e on a plate.
Teresa's only hope is to revoke article 50 and blame the SNP for it, we get the blame for everything else so why not this too.

SNP only rose in popularity because of how badly Scotland is treated by England.

Prediction: the UK is over, England has killed it.

reminds me of this joke http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...postcount=1080

rictus01 13-12-18 11:33 PM

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.facebook.com/Reasons2Rem...595486967/?t=0

Biker Biggles 14-12-18 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rictus01 (Post 3096452)

Long time no see. How are you doing?:smt039

rictus01 14-12-18 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker Biggles (Post 3096458)
Long time no see. How are you doing?:smt039

Indeed, got a notification from this board from "random rideouts" and fortunately remembered my login. I see things are a good deal quieter on here these days and alas the meetings/AR and alike are no more, shame that, but hey time passes.

Got a few bike related thing going on including a Wales and Yorkshire Dales trip early next year, but health not been as good as it should, then again not quite dead yet.

Oh and Merry Christmas.

Bibio 14-12-18 12:53 PM

howdoo stranger :smt008