SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   2008 Annual Rideout (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Pennine Massive Ride In (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=108360)

pmapp 15-04-08 01:16 PM

Pennine Massive Ride In

I know it may be a tad early to organise this, but I'm bored at work - so thought I'd get the ball rolling.

I'm assuming (I know - mother of all fluff ups and all that) that most of us will be making our way down Friday through the day.

I'm also assuming (there I go again) that the best route down will be plodding along the motorways due to time and make it easier to meet others at services. Mr Google says its approx 4:30 hours (240 miles) from Wakefield, but thats non-stop. So i guess we could say 6 hoursish for stops, meetups etc along the way.

Would 10am be a reasonable time to meet at Wakefield (Wooly Edge Services)?

Rough route being M1 > M42 (yaaaawn) > M5

We could meet the Manchester lot at the services on the M5, just before the M50 junction I guess - unless there's somewhere betterererer to meet? (Possibly on the M42 if they want to cut accross a little?)

Thoughts anyone?

And I guess I'll start a list of those who are gonna be making up the Massive that is the Pennine.

PMAPP
DAZR6

*EDIT*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I'm officially slacking off work now. Hopefully, this link will work and give you a nice gogle foo map of my suggested route with stops for meetups, fuel, toilet, food and whetever else you can get upto at a motorway services.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...99&ie=UTF8&z=7

I've started it at Wooly Edge Services, just after M1 J39. Next suggested stop is Tamworth Services on M42, follwed by Strensham Services on M5 (just before M50) then another stop on the M5 at Sedgemoor Services - possibly meet those from Wales - and of course for a final fuel and pee before the campsite.

What do the Massiiiiive (and anyone else) think?

pmapp 15-04-08 01:27 PM

Re: Pennine Massive Ride In

Actually, thinking about it, it's worth putting where you are so you can all arrange to meet up in little groups, then the groups arrange to meet up. Sooooo.........

PMAPP - Wakefield
DAZR6 - Wakefield

_Stretchie_ 15-04-08 02:30 PM

Alright. No idea how I ended up on here but this could help you if you fancy something other than motorways

Get hold of El Saxo, he has a route to come down to Bristol way that doesn't take too much longer than the motorway (I don't know how it works but it seems to)

He's in Wigan and used to go down to Swansea for Uni so has a route, he's used it to come see me in Bristol. Maybe he can help

Taraaaaa you northern monkeys....

; )

Dan 15-04-08 03:38 PM

You're clearly forgetting that for some of us in the proper north, Wakefield's already nearly two hours down the road :rolleyes:

Although I'll probably be in the south anyway around that time, so it won't matter.

pmapp 15-04-08 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 1478697)
You're clearly forgetting that for some of us in the proper north, Wakefield's already nearly two hours down the road :rolleyes:

Although I'll probably be in the south anyway around that time, so it won't matter.

Not forgetting, this is all just a suggestion really.

Is 10am to early then? I simply chose that as we would hopefully be off the motorways by rush hour. I'm easy either way (don't tell Bear though), can make it later if folks wanna travel down.

Remember, the earlier we get the the site, the more beer time there is :drink:

Dan 15-04-08 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmapp (Post 1478721)
Not forgetting, this is all just a suggestion really.

Is 10am to early then? I simply chose that as we would hopefully be off the motorways by rush hour. I'm easy either way (don't tell Bear though), can make it later if folks wanna travel down.

Remember, the earlier we get the the site, the more beer time there is :drink:

Well like I say, I won't be joining you, and I'll likely be on the site veeery early on in proceedings just like last year. That way I'll be able to stand proudly next to my erect tent and point and laugh as the new arrivals struggle with theirs... I may even bring some sidestand pucks as well a la S.tewie

YoungMan 15-04-08 05:54 PM

I'm in York - was in Norwich. Good idea to hook up as we thread our way through the motorway services.

El Saxo 15-04-08 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Stretchie_ (Post 1478584)
Alright. No idea how I ended up on here but this could help you if you fancy something other than motorways

Get hold of El Saxo, he has a route to come down to Bristol way that doesn't take too much longer than the motorway (I don't know how it works but it seems to)

He's in Wigan and used to go down to Swansea for Uni so has a route, he's used it to come see me in Bristol. Maybe he can help

Taraaaaa you northern monkeys....

; )

Thanks for the vote of confidence Stretchie but I'm not sure I'll be that much help TBH - when I came to meet you in Weston I just kind of looked at the map for some roads that looked interesting and took a scenic route down through part of Wales cos I had all day to get there. I'm looking at a map now and can't really remember which way I went sorry. I know I didn't come across the Severn Bridge though, although that probably doesn't help much (I bloody hate that bridge! :lol:).

MR UKI (1) 15-04-08 08:05 PM

Would be good to ride in with a few others, I'm going on the Friday also. But I may avoid the motorways and ride down the A49 and other twisty roads to Chepstow and across the Severn Bridge.

Drew Carey 15-04-08 08:09 PM

All, if you fancy a change once you get to Worcestershire-ish, then the A38 pretty much follows the mway to Bristol, but is sooooooo much more fun.

I am going down to a mates on the Wednesday, but thats the way I'm going. Then back on the mway until Bridgwater at which point cut accross to Yeovil etc. Means only doing 45-50 miles miles on the mway for a large section. Hope it helps.

orose 15-04-08 08:49 PM

Just to add to what Drew said (because my grandparents live in his neck of the woods):

A38 Mansfield - Derby - Lichfield is quite good, plus the services on there didn't suffer from inflation like the motorway ones when I went to the NEC.
A452 + A46 to Stratford gives you an opportunity to have a comfort break and do some sightseeing, and also avoids Birmingham and Coventry.
You should be able to then continue on the A46 and A38 on the top side of Bristol as Drew is suggesting.

fizzwheel 15-04-08 09:01 PM

Or get to Bristol, get on the M32 through the centre of it then get on the A37, the a quick hop down the A303, take the first signposted exit for Yeovil / Ilchester, follow the road for Yeovil for a couple of miles and you'll be at the campsite.

The A39 from bridgwater will Bring you out in Illchester to though.. but taking the A37 pretty much avoids the M5..

pmapp 15-04-08 09:20 PM

Was just looking at the A37.

When I get chance, I'll so another route. Or if anyone else fancies it :-)

timwilky 16-04-08 01:19 AM

look you lot I went down south once and afterwards some cider head said I had to get married or his daughter would not be best pleased.

so never went back. So why would I want to square off my rubber going back down south the boring way.

So please give me suggestions how to get to the AR/AE the day before that ensure true profiling of expensive multi compound rubber. or if a tad over exuberant. Can the locals advise before hand where good rubber may be sourced at affordable prices. (Thinking of Jelster stuck in Middleton in nowhere with a duff tyre in the last N/s)

fizzwheel 16-04-08 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwilky (Post 1479294)
So please give me suggestions how to get to the AR/AE the day before that ensure true profiling of expensive multi compound rubber. or if a tad over exuberant. Can the locals advise before hand where good rubber may be sourced at affordable prices. (Thinking of Jelster stuck in Middleton in nowhere with a duff tyre in the last N/s)

Theres a place in Yeovil that does tyres at a good price. I think they do ride in ride out, but I will double check. I've bought tyres from them and taken loose wheels in for puncture repairs. I'm also on good terms with the local Suzuki dealer, they also do tyres but are'nt as cheap.

I'm quite happy to point people in the right direction should they get down here and find that they need tyres or I'll take you to the tyre place.

Personally as I've said above get to Bristol, and come down the A37 to Yeovil. If your coming down the M5 watch for coppers on the Section from J17 to J23.

diamond 16-04-08 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzwheel (Post 1479371)
If your coming down the M5 watch for coppers on the Section from J17 to J23.

Your ok they seem to ignore you, it's just me they don't like on that stretch of road:rolleyes:

Dan 16-04-08 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwilky (Post 1479294)
(Thinking of Jelster stuck in Middleton in nowhere with a duff tyre in the last N/s)

And I got hammered last year in Middleham for a replacement rear :D

dizzyblonde 16-04-08 06:58 PM

Pmapp....wheres Wakefield....lol
Nah, kiddin mate, but we were talkin of leaving here around 11ish, Im Indoors is pretending hes not coming, cause his SRX will blow up going that far, and, hes being a stingy git cause his Raptors off road.
I presume YC will venture down with me, van't say for certain, but for me the quickest most direct route would be preferable for me, so i shall keep an eye on what you all organise....
I can handle a motorway for hours and don't get bored by it TBH, and I think twisty scenic roads will delay my beer consumtion time...lol

Mousetrapper 17-04-08 01:19 PM

Mrs. M and I will be making our way down (either with or without car) on the Friday, I'll be happy to follow anyone going that way just as long as I don't have to navigate!!

pmapp 17-04-08 02:17 PM

OK then.........

How does 11:30 sound to meet at point A on the map - Wooly Edge Services?

If folk are wanting a bit o' brekkie then be there earlier, so we can be looking to make a move for 11:45.

I'm still guessing anywhere upto 6 hours for the total journey, so I don't want to be setting off any later than that. The final route is still to be decided I guess, I've redone the last leg (see link below) - so as to drop off the M5 at Bristol and then down the A37. No real time difference, according to Mr Google.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...,10.239258&z=7

Hows that sounding Dizzy?
Mousetrapper - you're more than welcome, along with Mrs Mouse. Just be aware, that if it rains, you might have 15 of us crammed in the back of your car :-)

pmapp 17-04-08 02:28 PM

Very rough initial plans:

Leave Wooly Edge Services (M1) @ 11:45
Arrive Tamworth Services (M42) @ 13:15 - 13:30
Leave Tamworth Services (M42) @ 14:00
Arrive Strensham Services (M5) @ 15:00 - 15:15
Leave Strensham Services (M5) @ 15:45
Arrive in Bristol somewhere? @ 16:45 - 17:00 (Any suggestions anyone?)
Then onto the campsite, looking to arruve around 18:30 - 19:00

*Please Note*
This is all only a suggestion at the mo'. Nothing is finalised, I'm still trying to get things planned - things may and probably will still change. You have been warned :-)

_Stretchie_ 17-04-08 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 1479766)
And I got hammered last year in Middleham for a replacement the rear :D

Oh aye :confused:

Dan 17-04-08 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Stretchie_ (Post 1481298)
Oh aye :confused:

You should remember... but then you had been drinking. ;)

Paul the 6th 20-04-08 09:18 PM

how do everyone, a bit late on catching this one - had a few weeks off the fourms after a low speed lowside last month. kind of fell out with my bike and haven't ridden for about 5 weeks (longest time without riding since I passed my test last may) but I'm well and truly stuck in on the forums (and in the process of fixing the footpegs, gear changer and indicator as funds & times allow).

On the 1st of may I'm moving from cleckheaton west yorks, to acomb in york so I'll be riding down with you lot all being well.

I'll happily meet at woolly edge :) I worked in Taunton in somerset last year - it was about 5 hours (with 1 fuel stop) in the van so 6 hours is a very reasonable/accurate estimate.

Who's confirmed so far? (and feel free to add me to the list on the front page phil :)) ta!

edit & p.s.:
forgot to mention - boring as they are, motorways do get you there quickly so I'd be happy riding most of the route via motorway. I went to brands hatch with luke (Sv_to_gsxr) last october via the a1 and it was a right ball ache, but I think it would have been much worse via twisties for even a short portion of the route.

GMS 20-04-08 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul the 6th (Post 1484768)
how do everyone, a bit late on catching this one - had a few weeks off the fourms after a low speed lowside last month. kind of fell out with my bike and haven't ridden for about 5 weeks (longest time without riding since I passed my test last may) but I'm well and truly stuck in on the forums (and in the process of fixing the footpegs, gear changer and indicator as funds & times allow).

On the 1st of may I'm moving from cleckheaton west yorks, to acomb in york so I'll be riding down with you lot all being well.

I'll happily meet at woolly edge :) I worked in Taunton in somerset last year - it was about 5 hours (with 1 fuel stop) in the van so 6 hours is a very reasonable/accurate estimate.

Who's confirmed so far? (and feel free to add me to the list on the front page phil :)) ta!

edit & p.s.:
forgot to mention - boring as they are, motorways do get you there quickly so I'd be happy riding most of the route via motorway. I went to brands hatch with luke (Sv_to_gsxr) last october via the a1 and it was a right ball ache, but I think it would have been much worse via twisties for even a short portion of the route.

Where in Acomb you moving to Paul ? You could be one of my neighbours :)
Graham

Paul the 6th 20-04-08 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMS (Post 1484910)
Where in Acomb you moving to Paul ? You could be one of my neighbours :)
Graham

I'm not sure I want to tell you Graham... :P joking, I'm moving to prestwick court :D anywhere near you?

mrs mousetrapper 21-04-08 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmapp (Post 1481203)
OK then.........

Mousetrapper - you're more than welcome, along with Mrs Mouse. Just be aware, that if it rains, you might have 15 of us crammed in the back of your car :-)

Well, you're all welcome but you might be a bit squished as it's only a 3 door Punto!!

YoungMan 21-04-08 05:33 PM

See you at Wooley Services then. Mine's the one making a clinking noise.

Gordon B 06-05-08 12:56 PM

I'm possibly travelling down to Bournemouth the Wednesday before, but if not (and I'll confirm in a couple of days) then count me in from Wakey.

Personally I am more than happy to stick to the motorway, don't like twisty roads when my bike is trussed up like a packhorse with all my kit.

Paul the 6th, sorry to hear of your off, thought you had got done for copyright theft which is why you had disappeared!

Ed 06-05-08 02:02 PM

...or, from the M6 you could do one junction of the M56 westbound, turn off at J9 I think it is, take the A49 south to Shrewsbury, and meet up with us:D A friend of mine (another 675) from Warrington might want to join you.

The A49 is a real hoot:cool:

MR UKI (1) 08-05-08 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed (Post 1500607)
...or, from the M6 you could do one junction of the M56 westbound, turn off at J9 I think it is, take the A49 south to Shrewsbury, and meet up with us:D A friend of mine (another 675) from Warrington might want to join you.

Ooooh, A49, sounds like a plan that, much better than M6/M5. Might do this :D

stewie 12-05-08 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed (Post 1500607)

Thats the route I was thinking of taking tbh, Ive done various bits of it over the years in trucks and bikes but would be nice to have some company on the way down, you can follow the A49 virtually all the way to the Severn crossing and we could maybe meet up the the Taffia / south west guys to have a decent sized ride in to the camp site. :D

pmapp 12-05-08 08:39 AM

All sounds good to me, it's up to the masses I guess???

stewie 12-05-08 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmapp (Post 1506247)
All sounds good to me, it's up to the masses I guess???

V true and theres plenty of time anyway :D

dizzyblonde 12-05-08 09:58 AM

I just wanna get down there quick sharp, pitch tent, feed myself, and get ratted. Its along way from here, whatever people are comfy with I suppose

pmapp 12-05-08 10:38 AM

Oh aye Dizzy - while you're here, me and Daz won't be riding back - we're deffinatly going to France now. Sailing out on the Sunday morning ofthe AR.

dizzyblonde 12-05-08 09:03 PM

woooohooo, you'll love that...don't worry about tha ride home, YC n Im Indoors will be with me. I'm geting excited about the ride in, hopin theres going to be a parting of the waves with the cars by all those loud pennine SVs..lol

Ed 25-05-08 10:00 PM

See http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=110847

I've suggested a route from Shrewsbury. It's only a suggestion!

If you wanted to meet up at S'bury - entirely up to you - you'd need J10 of the M56, A49 south all the way to Shrewsbury, it joins up with the A5 on the east side of town to form the Shrewsbury by pass. Coming down the A49, at Battlefield Island take the second exit, to stay on the A49 (else you'll end up going through the town centre), carry on across a small roundabout, turn right at the next roundabout (it's immediately after a railway bridge, it's called Preston Island) where it meets the A5 (if you go left you'd go to Telford:smt103), go across the next roundabout (Emstrey Island), and the next one is Bayley's Island - where the Services are - you need the left lane as though you were carring on on the A5, then into the services. Do not take the left filter lane, you'd be on the A49 south and would have to turn round and get back again, not that easy TBH.

In the car I get to Warrington (same route, backwards) in slightly over an hour.

As stated, merely a suggestion:-D

454697819 09-06-08 12:03 PM

to be honest i dont like riding in groups on a motorway,

I will have a big ducati with loaded panners and an Ipod, so For me motorway is the way to nail the miles and get there in good time, Ill be leaving around 10am and 11 and taking it easy (sub 80) all the way there,

IM sure most will pass me slash catch me up on the motorway... without a problem...!

Gordon B 13-06-08 10:08 PM

Bah, Can't get to Wakey until 11.

Anything been concreted yet? If not can we make it 11 so I can ride down with you all?

G