SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   California Superbike School? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=125606)

Mej 13-02-09 12:15 PM

California Superbike School?

I want to do my Level 1 in May or June this year, but cause im on the 33bhp licence i obviosuly have to ride my own bike.

I was wondering what the deal is with insurance and stuff like that, what happens if i crash, hopefully I wont but you never know? [-o<

Has anyone else been to the school, I have only heard good reviews about the place and apparently the cornering skills you learn are invaluable?

Apart from that im really looking forward to it.

gettin2dizzy 13-02-09 12:37 PM

Re: California Superbike School????

Quote:

Originally Posted by J2UK (Post 1783635)
I want to do my Level 1 in May or June this year, but cause im on the 33bhp licence i obviosuly have to ride my own bike.

I was wondering what the deal is with insurance and stuff like that, what happens if i crash, hopefully I wont but you never know? [-o<

Has anyone else been to the school, I have only heard good reviews about the place and apparently the cornering skills you learn are invaluable?

Apart from that im really looking forward to it.

I went and thoroughly enjoyed it. All of the techniques are widely available to read on the internet, but the school provides the perfect scenario to try it all. For instance driving around the circuit in one gear, no brakes, just getting in to the rhythm. Something I'd be uneasy to do on a track day.

If you ride your bike (I would) then your insurance won't cover you unfortunately. But people coming off seems pretty rare, so just be careful!

Book it early as the summer dates disappear quickly, and don't try to ride a long distance there on the day. I got a hotel room next door for £19.

Drop me a PM or message on here if you have more questions about it :)

yorkie_chris 13-02-09 12:42 PM

Why do you have to ride your own bike? You don't need a license if you're not on the road.

Mej 13-02-09 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy (Post 1783671)
I went and thoroughly enjoyed it. All of the techniques are widely available to read on the internet, but the school provides the perfect scenario to try it all. For instance driving around the circuit in one gear, no brakes, just getting in to the rhythm. Something I'd be uneasy to do on a track day.

If you ride your bike (I would) then your insurance won't cover you unfortunately. But people coming off seems pretty rare, so just be careful!

Book it early as the summer dates disappear quickly, and don't try to ride a long distance there on the day. I got a hotel room next door for £19.

Drop me a PM or message on here if you have more questions about it [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Cheers, yeah after reading the info they gave me I am think I think i would prefer to ride my bike anyway as its obviously the one I will be riding all the time.

Just crossed my mind about crashing that was all, surely loads of people go there and do it without insurance so it must be alright.

I’m going to try and book it at the end of the month, it’s pretty pricey though, do you have to pay all at once?

Which track did you do, as I’m I think I’m going to try go up to Silverstone which is about 2.5hrs from me as apparently you can do more stuff in the paddock area compared to Brands. I do think it would be good to do the Track evening at Brands though, so might try and get up there for my level 2 and do that at the same time.

I will probably stay over in a Travelodge for £30.

Cheers

johnnyrod 13-02-09 12:54 PM

Dunno but I presume it's to do with their hire agreement.

I did level 1 last year, am doing level 2 at Rockingham this year on 6th July. No cover if you fall off but unlike a track day you're not riding close to 100% - if you did you wouldn't learn anything. In fact most of the day you're not allowed to use the brakes. Level 1 seems to cover Noddy stuff but the group then went on to prove that most of them were doing most of it wrong, or at the very least had a poor understanding of what they do. Expensive but highly recommended.

Dunno about the Southern circut but Stowe is about 5 bends, rubbish for a track day but TBH fine for level 1 as you're concentrating on bike control not learning a track and going fast. The first bend is like ice if it's wet though. Never mind aTravelodge, stay here www.theoldpostcottage.co.uk Rockingham is a great track but if you're a newbie I'd stick with Stowe as it's your technique that should be filling your thoughts.

Mej 13-02-09 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 1783682)
Why do you have to ride your own bike? You don't need a license if you're not on the road.

They wont let you ride without a licence i dont think, i emailed them and they said i would have to use my own bike because of the restriction.

Mej 13-02-09 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyrod (Post 1783697)
Dunno but I presume it's to do with their hire agreement.

I did level 1 last year, am doing level 2 at Rockingham this year on 6th July. No cover if you fall off but unlike a track day you're not riding close to 100% - if you did you wouldn't learn anything. In fact most of the day you're not allowed to use the brakes. Level 1 seems to cover Noddy stuff but the group then went on to prove that most of them were doing most of it wrong, or at the very least had a poor understanding of what they do. Expensive but highly recommended.

I thought that might be the case with level 1, basics first kind of thing. Might try and do Level 2 straight after, or month after if i can get the cash.

gettin2dizzy 13-02-09 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J2UK (Post 1783695)

I’m going to try and book it at the end of the month, it’s pretty pricey though, do you have to pay all at once?

Yup! All on one giant go!
Quote:

Originally Posted by J2UK (Post 1783701)
I thought that might be the case with level 1, basics first kind of thing. Might try and do Level 2 straight after, or month after if i can get the cash.

I wouldn't bother. You'll need a fair few trackdays just to get course 1 in your head properly. Save your cash and just do a trackday.

I did Rockingham, and it's a great track!

Mej 13-02-09 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy (Post 1783706)
Yup! All on one giant go!

I wouldn't bother. You'll need a fair few trackdays just to get course 1 in your head properly. Save your cash and just do a trackday.

I did Rockingham, and it's a great track!

Cool, i stick with that then.

Rockingham is 3.5 hrs from me. I have always wanted to go to silverstone as well so i think i will probably go there.

johnnyrod 13-02-09 01:10 PM

I agree with G2D, you need time to consolidate what you learn. For me I went to a track day at the Rock a few weeks later. You can practise on the roads but there are too many things to distract you. The "quick steering" drill (countersteering) is usually the people get the most out of, from a bit of an improvement to a Saul on the road to Damascus moment. Either way you need time for it to sink in, it could mean a significant change in your riding style.

Ed 13-02-09 06:11 PM

I did level 1 last year. Agree with G2D on his views.

Insurance - normal insurance usually excludes track days. I investigated special cover - broker called Pit and Paddock - but it's catastrophe cover only (basically, not as good) and they exclude what they call 'the pretty bits' - ie all the stuff that's likely to get mashed. And it's very expensive - around £400 - so I didn't other. If you drop it - well, you drop it.

Mej 13-02-09 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed (Post 1784127)
I did level 1 last year. Agree with G2D on his views.

Insurance - normal insurance usually excludes track days. I investigated special cover - broker called Pit and Paddock - but it's catastrophe cover only (basically, not as good) and they exclude what they call 'the pretty bits' - ie all the stuff that's likely to get mashed. And it's very expensive - around £400 - so I didn't other. If you drop it - well, you drop it.

Looked at the same broker earlier, like you say it is what it is, if i bin it, i will worry about it then.

sweepdoggydog 13-02-09 11:00 PM

Re: California Superbike School?

I have done both level I & II. If I’m honest I didn't think it was as great as everyone makes out especially considering the cost and I definitely won't be doing level III.

If I could go back in time I would save my money, buy both twist of the wrist books (which cover what is taught in the classes) study them and spend the money on trackdays. I think if you compared a rider who had done this to a rider that had just done level I & II and no trackdays the trackday rider would definitely be a better/faster rider.

Just my 2p!

shonadoll 13-02-09 11:08 PM

What sort of money are you talking about to do one of these days? I've heard only positive things about them.

sweepdoggydog 14-02-09 09:58 AM

Around £350 -£400 each level, depending on which track you do it at.

shonadoll 14-02-09 10:45 AM

Cool, thanks.

flymo 02-04-09 03:31 PM

I'm planning on starting CSS this year with level 1. I've been racing for close on 10 years now but its still worth stepping back into the theory now and again to re-evaluate where you are.

I had a good chat with one of the instructors today to understand what it was all about and he believed I would still benefit. Level 1 apparently does not imply a particular level of riding skill or experience, the group is still split so that total novices ride together and more experienced riders ride together.

I no longer ride a road bike only race. I'm regularly fighting for top three positions in a race and have had a few wins. With racing though you tend to improve in chunks and then only make small improvements until the next big jump. From CSS I'm looking to see if steping back to basics allows me to make the next leap of faith in terms of lap times.

A little pricey but I think you probably get what you pay for in this case.

John 675 02-04-09 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweepdoggydog (Post 1784441)
I have done both level I & II. If I’m honest I didn't think it was as great as everyone makes out especially considering the cost and I definitely won't be doing level III.

If I could go back in time I would save my money, buy both twist of the wrist books (which cover what is taught in the classes) study them and spend the money on trackdays. I think if you compared a rider who had done this to a rider that had just done level I & II and no trackdays the trackday rider would definitely be a better/faster rider.

Just my 2p!

I think it is what you make of it really.. It made leon camier a better racer alledgedly but it is without a doubt a race school.. That's why it's 100% track based ... If your obsessed with racing and doing it correctly I think it's perfect but if your doing it more for road riding then your better off doing IAMS instead imo.
Books are good for reference also IMO but being taught and shown surely is better ? Trackdays are great especially when your forced off the track by some **** that shouldn't of been in the novices..

yorkie_chris 02-04-09 05:54 PM

Depends what you want out of your road riding IMO.

I'd love to be able to afford these and compare the relative merits of this stuff and classic advanced training from the POV of hooning it on the road.

lukemillar 02-04-09 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 1783682)

Maybe not, hooning round a farm, but the day's organisers/track owners etc. do require you to have passed your test ;)

As for 33bhp - doubt it would make that much difference - just give them a call to find out

lukemillar 02-04-09 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J2UK (Post 1783718)
Cool, i stick with that then.

Rockingham is 3.5 hrs from me. I have always wanted to go to silverstone as well so i think i will probably go there.

Don't get sucked into thinking that it is the actually Silverstone circuit though! Weaselz and I did level 1 there a couple of years ago and they use the Stowe circuit which doesn't use any part of the main circuit. It's not bad and doesn't make a bit of difference, but if I was given the choice again, I'd go with Rockingham

flymo 03-04-09 10:18 PM

Just found out that there is a CSS coach racing at my race club in the steel framed 600 class on a CBR600. I checked out his results and I've been lapping within 0.5 sec of his laps on my SV\\:D/.

With a little coaching I hope to be ahead again.

Stu 03-04-09 10:47 PM

J2UK was it you that posted the link to the TV series on CSS?
As LyleJ says (only from seeing the TV) CSS is almost nothing to do with road riding , even hooning road riding. imo

lukemillar 03-04-09 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 1851239)
As LyleJ says (only from seeing the TV) CSS is almost nothing to do with road riding , even hooning road riding. imo

Actually - it does! They teach you on the track because it is a controlled environment - not because your trying to go quicker on the track. Speed is neither a factor and at no point do they say - do this, it will make you faster. The whole school focuses on cornering ability and confidence and ultimately being smooth without un-necessary input - road or track. Spin offs from this may be faster lap times, or simply no longer feeling scared in corners, but ultimately that is down to what you want to do with your riding.

chris8886 03-04-09 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 1851239)

stu, i think you''l find it was good old monkey boy (teriyakimonkey) who posted that in the soho spammy thread (not certain of the location though). i agree it was worth the watch and made me think a lot about my riding and whether it's actually wprth paying the money to go on one of their days (and i'm leaning towards a 'yes it would be worht it').

Stu 03-04-09 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris8886 (Post 1851273)
stu, i think you''l find it was good old monkey boy (teriyakimonkey) who posted that in the soho spammy thread (not certain of the location though). i agree it was worth the watch and made me think a lot about my riding and whether it's actually wprth paying the money to go on one of their days (and i'm leaning towards a 'yes it would be worht it').

Oh well
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/ca...140309ejQF5mKP
link for anyone - search for superbike school & you should find all 6 episodes

Baph 04-04-09 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 1851290)
Oh well
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/ca...140309ejQF5mKP
link for anyone - search for superbike school & you should find all 6 episodes

Alternatively, they're available as torrents. :)

After seeing the 1st 4 episodes, I have to agree with luke. The programmes obviously miss a lot out, but there's still quite a lot that can be applied to road riding. It's just about picking out the useful bits.

I watched, mainly as I've been asked by another rider to help get them some more confidence in the corners - not sure I'm qualified to do that, but from watching CSS, I'm more aware of what tips to give.

Baph 05-04-09 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baph (Post 1851341)
It's just about picking out the useful bits.

Like the drill they do with the out-rigger bike, locking the front so people get a feel for it.

If it wasn't for watching that drill on the TV (ok, laptop), I'm confident I'd of either dropped the bike or parked it in the back of a moving ambulance. :(

That's the first time in my road legal biking career (40k+ miles) that I've locked the front, and the first time I've stayed upright after locking the front on tarmac. :thumbsup:

Sid Squid 06-04-09 06:53 AM

Read this thread: Click here.