SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Tyres (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Pirelli angel (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=131245)

Baz 06-05-09 09:57 AM

Pirelli angel

Hi All

Need a new back tyre for my K9 650S. Phoned my local tyre place to find that they have no Avon Storms (my first choice), can't get Roadsmart's as their supplier has these on back order (my second choice), but they did recommend the Pirelli angel.
This is the first I have heard about these so had a look on line and thought it was a joke to start with but I can't find anything really useful.
Any of you trusty Orgers had any experience with these?

gettin2dizzy 06-05-09 10:10 AM

Re: Pirelli angel

The telegraph gave it a good review. Have a look there.

ThEGr33k 06-05-09 10:35 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-Angel-ST.html

I am always a little weary of single compound Sprots touring tyre's as I dont imagine you'll get the long lasting of a dual compound or the corner grip either. I could well be wrong though!!!

They sound cool and I look forward to the reviews coming up!

Luckypants 06-05-09 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThEGr33k (Post 1896141)
I am always a little weary of single compound Sprots touring tyre's as I dont imagine you'll get the long lasting of a dual compound or the corner grip either. I could well be wrong though!!!

They sound cool and I look forward to the reviews coming up!

Sorry to be a grammar Nazi, but this one always gets me going.... you mean WARY.

Definition of wary (adjective)
forms: warier; wariest
openly distrustful and unwilling to confide; suspicious; untrusting

wea·ry (wîrhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/emacr.gif)adj. wea·ri·er, wea·ri·est 1. Physically or mentally fatigued.
2. Expressive of or prompted by fatigue: a weary smile.
3. Having one's interest, forbearance, or indulgence worn out: weary of delays.
4. Causing fatigue; tiresome: a weary wait.

[/derail]

sorry

Luckypants 06-05-09 11:08 AM

and to be more constructive, the Telegraph article just seems to be spouting the Pirelli marketing guff so I too would like to see a real test and some on some bikes before forming an opinion as to whether I want to try them.

ThEGr33k 06-05-09 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckypants (Post 1896175)
Sorry to be a grammar Nazi, but this one always gets me going.... you mean WARY.

Definition of wary... stuff

[/derail]

sorry

Its fine... but there was no need to go all out... My English isnt the best ever cheers to Dyslexia so im happy to have a spelling lesson.

dyzio 06-05-09 11:45 AM

Do you mean Sillet's
http://www.aberdeenbikers.eu/phpBB3/...hp?f=7&t=16579

You don't fancy trying the PR2's?

Baz 06-05-09 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyziowg (Post 1896225)
Do you mean Sillet's
http://www.aberdeenbikers.eu/phpBB3/...hp?f=7&t=16579

You don't fancy trying the PR2's?

Yep thats where I'm going.
Didn't ask about the PR2's but Sillet's did say these Pirelli's are going really well so thought I'd give em a try.

Baz 07-05-09 09:56 AM

Just a wee update on these tyres so far.

Now I should point out that my experience with tyres is limited to Dunlop Battleaxe? (I think anyway, it's what was on my curvey when I bought it), Avon storms (like these a lot), and the standard Dunlop's that were on my pointy.
Also just to point out I have only put one of these Pirelli Angels on the back as the front is still ok at the mo.

First 100 mile covered last night and I must admit I completely forgot I was running a new tyre. It felt really planted from the start and my lean was only dampened by my common sense telling me "watch it, new tyre".
No rain last night but the ground was still wet from earlier in the day but I didn't get any problems at all in fact on first impressions alone I would say this tyre is fantastic, and it even looks good as an added bonus.

Like I said my experience is limited so I leave you all to make your own judgment but I'll post a bit more after a few hundred mile and see how they are then.
As ThEGr33k has mentioned life span might be an issue but I guess we'll see.

gettin2dizzy 07-05-09 01:44 PM

What have you on the front?

Viney 07-05-09 02:04 PM

A Ski!

Baz 07-05-09 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy (Post 1897804)
What have you on the front?

Just the standard Dunlop, D220 I think? Can't really remember, whatever is on the K9 SV650S as standard.

Berlin 08-05-09 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThEGr33k (Post 1896141)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-Angel-ST.html

I am always a little weary of single compound Sports touring tyre's as I dont imagine you'll get the long lasting of a dual compound or the corner grip either. I could well be wrong though!!!

Nick, Dual compound Sports touring tyres don't last any longer than single compound Sports touring tyres. They are just stickier on the edges. The centre rubber is the same on both.

C

ThEGr33k 08-05-09 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlin (Post 1898859)
Nick, Dual compound Sports touring tyres don't last any longer than single compound Sports touring tyres. They are just stickier on the edges. The centre rubber is the same on both.

C

Aye, your probably right... at least one of my arguments stand then :p

silent11 08-05-09 03:50 PM

am disappointed cause i need a new front tyre and they don’t do 120/60 angel st's atm :(

ThEGr33k 08-05-09 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silent11 (Post 1899345)
am disappointed cause i need a new front tyre and they don’t do 120/60 angel st's atm :(

Eh!?!? OMG, thats shocking tbh. Doh.

silent11 09-05-09 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThEGr33k (Post 1899450)
Eh!?!? OMG, thats shocking tbh. Doh.

i know says on there promotion bit that there will be 120/60 inc other sizes but on the info bit it just says 120/70 sucks

Sally 09-05-09 07:35 PM

120/70 fits the SV, I am running a 120/70, its a bit tight with the fender extender, but doesn't touch and theres no rubbing.

silent11 09-05-09 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saoralba (Post 1900260)
120/70 fits the SV, I am running a 120/70, its a bit tight with the fender extender, but doesn't touch and theres no rubbing.

does it make a difference in handling etc?

Sally 09-05-09 08:39 PM

I didn't notice much, but the tyres I bought I really like :)

Michilin Road Two's or something, the dual compound ones..

ThEGr33k 09-05-09 09:50 PM

Pilot Road 2's are good imo.

Problem with using a 120/70 on an SV is that the insurance can sometimes be less than happy about it... can lead to not being covered! :( :(

Baz 15-05-09 08:09 PM

Hi All

Another update. Just over 700 miles now, tread pattern is now a Demon (apparently), tyre is still excellent in the dry, loads of grip and full confidence for cornering.
However today was the first day out in heavy rain and I have to say I did not feel comfortable at all. Not sure if it was all down to the tyre as the wind was really strong and I was fighting really hard just to keep the bike in a straight line.
I have been out in worse conditions with Avon Storms on and felt fine but this just felt like there was no grip in the corners. I was fine on the straights but thats not really saying much. Cornering was down to about 50mph where I would normally be at about 80mph (private race track).
I'm going to see what the weather is like tomorrow, this may sound strange but I'm hoping for more rain but no wind and I'll see what it's like then.

Sally 16-05-09 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThEGr33k (Post 1900438)
Problem with using a 120/70 on an SV is that the insurance can sometimes be less than happy about it... can lead to not being covered! :( :(

My insurance is rendered invalid because I use a 120/70 instead of a 120/60.
what a bunch bar stewards.

ThEGr33k 17-05-09 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saoralba (Post 1909816)
My insurance is rendered invalid because I use a 120/70 instead of a 120/60.
what a bunch bar stewards.

They will try and slink their way out of anything mate. :(

Might not be true, its just a possibility. :mad:

dyzio 17-05-09 06:22 PM

To be fair Baz, the conditions were f***ign awful that day...
(no, I don't sell these tyres)

Berlin 17-05-09 09:01 PM

You have to remember that Nick is the Lord of the Urban Myth and the Head Knight of hearsay :D

ThEGr33k 18-05-09 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlin (Post 1911198)
You have to remember that Nick is the Lord of the Urban Myth and the Head Knight of hearsay :D

Oi, im only saying what Ive been told. Worth asking the insurance I guess. I dont really mention things ive heard that often. :rolleyes:

Berlin 18-05-09 10:29 AM

We should start calling you SpongeBob Falcopants because you'll take in anything :D

:joker:

ThEGr33k 18-05-09 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlin (Post 1911579)
We should start calling you SpongeBob Falcopants because you'll take in anything :D

:joker:

Bah... I keep falling for it. I hate you Berlin! Taking the **** all the time. Im only small... :p

Baz 25-05-09 12:29 PM

Hi all

About 1000 mile in now and the tyre is still holding up well.
I have been out in the wet again but less wind and found the tyre to be quite good, I think I still prefer the Avon but it's a close call.
Maybe having these Pirelli's on the front and back would improve things even more but as I'm only running with one on the back I can't say.
Tread depth is still good, not much gone to be honest (will measure it later), and still more than happy with the grip in the dry.

Stewart.C 25-06-09 08:33 PM

Hi baz soz i aint been out for run kirstys been working nights but will get out soon.

got an Angel on the sv & i love it. finding it a big boost on helping my riding.

Sally 25-06-09 09:40 PM

Good :)

Hope you come out to play soon :)

Were all away this weekend if you haven't checked the SV ecosse section..

Grats btw mate.

David.

gerbrox 31-07-09 07:19 AM

Just put an angel on the rear also and BT something on the front (can't remember frmo here) hoping will boost my confidence in the wet!!!

Love the look of new rubber!!!

dyzio 23-02-10 04:32 PM

Has anyone ridden some proper miles on these?

The local shop seems to prefer them and the PR2's I'm usually using are looking surprisingly expensive...

dyzio 10-03-10 07:18 PM

Ok, got a new rear, the mechanic at Sillet's said that he stopped selling Pilot Road 2's because of the price, so I got an Angel (110quid, 180-55).
I'm not planning any major riding now, but I'll update this once I do some proper miles.

-Ralph- 10-03-10 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=Baz;1919500]Maybe having these Pirelli's on the front and back would improve thingsQUOTE]

I would have thought so TBH. The D220 is quite a shallow profile tyre, so the back may be keener to tip in and lean that the front. I had a BT020 on the back and a D220 on the front and it was awful, made the rear end feel vague on tip in and pendulum round the headstock on big direction changes.

The Angel is the replacement to the Diablo Strada which has always been a good tyre.

veefer 10-03-10 11:28 PM

I have done a few thousand miles on an angel so far and I rate them highly, even in the cold and wet they can take some seriouse abuse, it's the BT021 on the front that causes me some concern, not the angel on the rear.
Happy days angels for me;)

yorkie_chris 11-03-10 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyzio (Post 2207309)
Ok, got a new rear, the mechanic at Sillet's said that he stopped selling Pilot Road 2's because of the price, so I got an Angel (110quid, 180-55).
I'm not planning any major riding now, but I'll update this once I do some proper miles.

I thought the falcow had 6" rim?

timwilky 11-03-10 11:18 AM

I do not know the "angel", personally I have been running Pirelli Diablo Rossos and like them very much. hard wearing, but sticky and warm up quite quickly without having to work them too hard

dyzio 11-03-10 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 2207970)
I thought the falcow had 6" rim?

To be honest, I don't know.
Manual says 180/55, 17" for rear tyre.