SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Track Days (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   1st track day booked (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=179900)

charlie34 12-06-12 05:27 PM

1st track day booked

Hi everyone, I've booked my first trackday at snetterton next month and just wondered if anyone has any tips?

I know tyre pressures are normally dropped, but by how much and as I've only been riding since oct I'm not sure i'll be pushing hard enough to get the much heat in the tyres?

Also I'm running with an ART can, but not sure if its likely to be too loud.

Any help would much appreciated.

cheers
dan

maviczap 12-06-12 05:32 PM

Re: 1st track day booked

I didn't bother dropping my tyre pressures for my 1st track day, I spent most of it learning the track and trying to stop making the same mistakes!

Depends who's running your track day, but your ART can should be alright, as the noise limits at Snetterton aren't too bad.

You'll have a great time at Snetterton, although I hope you have a nice sunny day, they're in short supply this year.

charlie34 12-06-12 05:53 PM

Thats kinda what I was thinking about tyres. Yeah I hope this weather picks up soon.

Is it worth winding another click on the preload front and rear or stick with what i use on the road.

I've on track a few times in cars, so have a bit of an idea, but being new to this bike lark I'm already getting a bit nervous.

maviczap 12-06-12 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie34 (Post 2725588)
Thats kinda what I was thinking about tyres. Yeah I hope this weather picks up soon.

Is it worth winding another click on the preload front and rear or stick with what i use on the road.

I've on track a few times in cars, so have a bit of an idea, but being new to this bike lark I'm already getting a bit nervous.

Yes, what bike are you riding, SV?

Its alright to be nervous, use this first one to gauge yourself & your bike

charlie34 12-06-12 07:40 PM

Yeah it's a k3 naked 650.

maviczap 12-06-12 07:44 PM

Yep, trouble is the preload on the standard SV forks is pretty basic, but I increased the settings on my GSXR forks on my SV the last track day I did, which improved things no end.

So as a general rule you'd be wise to do that. Plenty of people on here have used their standard SV's on the track and had a great day

The Idle Biker 12-06-12 08:42 PM

mmmm. General tips? Apologies if too basic.

Get there early so you don't have to rush/ panic getting ready. You can camp at Snet for a fiver if you need to.
Try and sign on and get the noise test done early so you can relax.
Get in a Garage. There are plenty at Sneterton.
Check your brakes and fluid levels. Make sure you have plenty of brake pad left. If in doubt change them.
If you are a worrier like me, check the torque on wheels, forks and brakes.
Snet is a big track, do try and memorise the basic layout before you go.
Usually there will be a Tyre fitter/ seller in the Paddock. Ask him for advice on tyre pressures. It will depend on the conditions.
You will NOT be the slowest, so don't feel under pressure to blitz it. Take your time. Guaranteed there will be people in every group, who'll bin it on the day. Don't let it be you.
If you are struggling on the track then see if you can get an Instructor. If you are going with No Limits, they are great and don't charge.

When you get on the straights, relax, HEAD DOWN, BUM UP AND KEEP IT PINNED!

maviczap 12-06-12 08:49 PM

To add to the above good advice, let the faster riders pass you in the first lap, this'll free up track in front of you, giving you more time & space to do your stuff.

In the Club MSV track days, they advise you to fold in your mirrors, so you don't keep looking behind you to see who's coming up behind you. I didn't on my first session, but after that I did & it makes a big difference.

Concentrate on whats in front, not whats behind

charlie34 12-06-12 09:09 PM

cheers guys some good tips there. I'm doing it with focused events, which I believe have instructors too, so I may be bugging them with questions. ha.

Paul the 6th 12-06-12 10:40 PM

listen carefully @ briefing, simple things like "there are 2 cones on every corner, one for the turn in point, one for the apex" during briefing will help you get to grips with the circuit so much quicker...

Not to sound like kind of a big deal, but on a trackday at cadwell I must have had about 4 or 5 people ask how I was carrying so much corner speed - I mentioned the cones to all of them and they were like "whaaat? What cones?" = watched back video of the sessions and they're all turning in way too early, having to run way slower just to get through the corner.

Little details like that :)

Specialone 13-06-12 06:20 AM

Being a veteran of only one track day at Mallory, Ill offer my 'tips'.

Do fold your mirrors in, I was worrying more about people coming up my inside, I wasn't concentrating on the corner.

Defend your lines, **** the idiots who wanna come down the 0.5m left of track on the inside of you, it's their problem.
I rode a lot better once I decided, **** it.

They recommend a 2psi drop in air pressure, I did this (was summer) and I checked pressures while warm and they increased by 3psi.

Remove your number plate when you get there.

I'd even cover up your speedo, stops you focusing on the speed rather than just riding.

I was in a mixed group of inters and novices in 30 minute sessions, I'm not a quick rider and I weren't the slowest, I even overtook a track bike :)
My sprint was less than 6 months old with 1500 miles on the clock so I didn't go too mad, but I was still outbraking half the group at the bus stop hairpin.

Expect to be knackered, it's very tiring.

Enjoy it, it's great fun :)

L3nny 13-06-12 09:14 AM

If it's a warm day take plenty of fluids with you. I always take a 4 pack of Lucozade sport and another bottle to fill with water. You will be amazed at how tiring it is compared to road riding (or maybe I am just unfit)

I also take with me a mini air compressor to pump the tyres back up at the end of the day. The tyre guy will usually be packed up by the end of the last novice session so wont be able to do it for you.

I also take spanners to remove the number plate and the mirrors, you don't need to do either of these but I do, mirrors are one less thing to break if its binned and you don't need them, number plate because if I crash on the way home I don't want the insurance company trying to say it was done on track.

There will be food there but it can often be expensive, rubbish, and with long queues so take a couple of sarnies as well.

If you have an Android phone, download trackmaster to log your lap times, not so you can try for the lap record but it's a great feeling to see your times dropping throughout the day.

Best thing to remember is it's not a race, just go out, enjoy yourself, and have fun.

If you are unsure of anything ask an instructor or even one of the more experienced guys on the track, the best thing about track days is that everyone is friendly and they all love talking about bikes.

Balky001 13-06-12 09:46 AM

some good advice already here so not much to add other than don't worrry about your suspension etc as its just another problem in your mind and you wont be stretching it unless you make mistakes. So don't amke miostakes. As you only have preload to play with I'd only adjust if you find you have too much movement on brakes/acceleration.

Tyre pressures - road rubber? A couple of pounds dropped if warm will be OK. I usually run 30 front 28 back unless using Supercorsa/Racetec then its a bit lower using hot temps.

Listen to the bike, it will give you feedback. If you go in to a corner and find yourself adjusting as you are turning in too quickly then you could have carried more corner speed. If you find you are going out wide on longer bends you may be getting on the accelerator too early. Just feel the bike and get the lines right. Make small adjustments only!

Do the sighting laps, do the first session to really find out where the corners are, then get an instructor to go out with you and show you where the real turn in, apex and exit points are. If it's your first time you'll shave 10 seconds off just by beiong smooth and accurate.

Have fun, breath, smile and drink water. Job done

jambo 13-06-12 10:54 AM

The above is good advice

Here are my thoughts having had a fair few novices with me at track days:

1) Make sure your bike is roadworthy before you turn up. Tyres aren't bald, chain isn't shagged, brake pads aren't goosed etc. This then frees you up to enjoy the day.
2) Everyone will talk about suspension settings and tyre pressures. The settings you have work fine on the road, they'll work on track, maybe later in the day if it's hot dropping a little air out will be helpful but it won't be nearly as important as relaxing and finding the right lines.
3) It's not a race, almost everyone I've ever seen crash has been trying to prove something to someone when it happened.
4) Your bike is capable of mind-bending things. If you find yourself going in a bit too quick, breathe, tip in, and try anyway. Look where you want to go. You will usually find yourself out the other side, still on the bike.
5) If you feel tired or like you can't get into a rhythm on a session, consider coming in early or missing a session to have a break.
6) Build up speed session by session, you've got the whole day to get quicker. Sticking the bike back together with gaffa tape after session 1 will put a crimp in your whole day.

Jambo

P.S. Of course it's a race, and bragging rights are at stake. You have to be faster than your mates. This is important ;) Though how important and whether you choose to ignore all other advice and go with this thought will pretty much determine how your day goes...

Small Clanger 13-06-12 01:55 PM

Youtube. Have a look at "John Kirkham Onboard Snetterton 300"
It was the best one I found for learning the circuit.

Cafe opens at 7.30. Get in there at 7.31 before the marshalls.

Careful at the left/tight right after the bridge.

maviczap 13-06-12 03:37 PM

Last tip, ride to the noise test & around the back of the garages with your helmet on. Sadly a rider died after hitting his head on concrete at Snet, after a minor spill in the garage area.

Don't worry about fuel, you can buy it there, is a bit more expensive.

Mr Speirs 13-06-12 06:53 PM

Get there early enough to get signed on and noise tested before the briefing. This'll give you 40mins to chill out, get something to eat and organise your thoughts before your first session.

Nothing worse than rushing to get out on track.

charlie34 13-06-12 09:39 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'm probably gonna go in the van, so I can sort the bike before hand so its ready for noise testing.

I really can't wait, I used to race karts but not for a while now, so looking forward to getting back on track.

Not looking forward to the eary start though!

Whitty 14-06-12 09:29 AM

Lots of good advice already given. My main ones are get there early, signed on and noise tested. It's horrible rushing, I have done it loads of times and you end up forgetting stupid things like pressures or fastening your helmet strap! Take mirrors off, even folded in they seem to be in the way. Tape over speedo, it will distract you and make you panic when you see how fast you're going(I still keep mine covered now I race) Have a back up can, I used to have an art one and it was very loud. Get a tatty 2nd hand one off eBay, it will come in at quieter tracks in future. A big help to me was what I thought was obvious, BREATHE! When you are on your first few laps you will be tense as hell and hardly breathing. You need oxygen for your muscles and brain to work properly. Still have to remind myself now sometimes.

Nobbylad 15-06-12 08:34 AM

Lose the wing mirrors and indies altogether before going out, if you do bin it, just replacing that stuff alone can cost you enough for another trackday and for the sake of 5 mins spannering it's something else off your mind.

I've done a few trackdays now and in the afternoons especially, have been known to come in a lap or so before the end if I'm feeling goosed.

Never used Trackmaster, but RaceChrono is now available on Android. It's still being developed to the point where it was on the Nokias and will soon have the ability to overlay gauges onto any onboard video you take, but it's a great package in the beta version right now.

Maybe think about getting a cheapo (£15) bullet camera to lash onto the bike so you can watch back when you get home?

L3nny 15-06-12 08:51 AM

Don't want to de-rail the thread too much but you can overlay video on trackmaster too. Just downloading racechrono, will compare the two.

I was thinking about getting a cheapo camera. Any you could recommend?

Elliott 15-06-12 09:30 AM

Tips:

Don't over think everything treat it as a day in Wales.

Look forward and keep your own line. Do NOT get bullied off line by the fast boys. The good riders can overtake when it's safe to do so.

Break the track into quarters and try to be as smooth as poss. Speed will slow you down. With a smooth line you will get quicker.

Most of all have fun! It's a learning curve and fills you with so much confidence.

Nobbylad 15-06-12 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L3nny (Post 2727186)
Don't want to de-rail the thread too much but you can overlay video on trackmaster too. Just downloading racechrono, will compare the two.

I was thinking about getting a cheapo camera. Any you could recommend?

I have this one, it's pretty basic, but does the job well for the price.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=110355

L3nny 15-06-12 04:02 PM

Got any footage from it?

davegixer1300r 16-06-12 01:54 PM

Some good advice here But i would add the following
Allow your tyres time to warm up, really, it is amazing how many people open up after the two sighting laps and bin it !
Allow plenty of space between you and the guy in front as you approach corners His braking point may not be yours! Remember you are responsible for the rider in fronts' safety
It also gives you space to avoid him if for any reason he goes down
Above all Have Fun it is not a race but an oppurtunity to ride without having to worry about cars or potholes Let us know how it all went.

Epic Monkey 18-06-12 06:22 PM

Just booked for snetterton too. Next Thursday I'll be in the novice group on my pointy. Cannot frikkin wait. Also just got my new tyres so get them fitted and scrubbed. :)

charlie34 18-06-12 06:25 PM

Is it your first one? Let us know how it goes. I hope the weather picks up soon?

Epic Monkey 18-06-12 06:36 PM

I did the Ron Haslam race school in 2010 but this is my first proper Trackday. I seriously hope it's sunny. Won't be pleased if it's wet.

maviczap 18-06-12 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic Monkey (Post 2728723)
Just booked for snetterton too. Next Thursday I'll be in the novice group on my pointy. Cannot frikkin wait. Also just got my new tyres so get them fitted and scrubbed. :)

Who's that with, I haven't done one this year yet, thanks to this awesome weather

Epic Monkey 18-06-12 08:06 PM

It's with MSV. £99 for the day and Tommy Hill will be there too.
http://www.clubmsv.com/bike-home/eve...productid=1379

maviczap 18-06-12 08:09 PM

Ta, Usually I get an email from them telling me about events

They are well organised events, enjoy

Epic Monkey 22-06-12 09:53 AM

Just a quick question guys. I've still got the stock brake pads on my bike and have done 7500 miles on them. The back still has loads of pad left, the front has got about 3mm left. Is it worth having these changed before the track day?

Whitty 22-06-12 10:23 AM

I would do mine there, dead simple job I can't believe people pay for. However if you're not confident get them done beforehand. If you are total novice they will last fine but if you turn out to be a real hard braker you don't want to cut day short for sake of set of pads. Plus its something less to worry about. If you're a real tight wad you could put them back in after to finish then off;)

Whitty 22-06-12 10:24 AM

Don't worry about rear you will barely use it if at all.

Epic Monkey 22-06-12 10:32 AM

Thanks Whitty. Hardly use the back at all so not fussed about that one. But the idea of cutting the day short because I'm running out of brakes would not be great. That and having to ride back home afterwards. I've got all the tools at home so I think I'll probably just do them to be safe. Any particular pads recommended?

Whitty 22-06-12 10:45 AM

I have been using SBS rs (race sintered)for last 2 year. I've got through a few sets but have done lot of trackdays and 3 race meetings. They are easy on discs and bed in almost instant and work well in all weather. Avoid carbon ones for wet days as they seem to not work so well. I get mine off a seller on eBay called dusty100bikes for a good price for both calipers.

Nobbylad 22-06-12 02:44 PM

HG did have some Brembo sintered pads on offer recently on their Ebay site, might be worth a look there.

Epic Monkey 28-06-12 10:17 PM

Wow. What an amazing day. Absolutely frikkin loved every minute. Only two groups with inters and advanced together meant we got more track time. Altogether, 10 sessions :) 200 minutes and 186 miles of awesomeness. Managed to keep up with a lot of guys on bigger bikes. The straights let me down a lot but I was much faster through the corners.
I also had a nice chat with Emma franklin from performance bikes - nice lady.

L3nny 28-06-12 10:20 PM

Nice one. I did a 2 session day once, was knackering, glad you had fun. Get some pics up!

Epic Monkey 28-06-12 10:39 PM

Haha. Yeah. I'm going to be sore tomorrow. That's for sure. I get the pics in 2 days. I do have a load of video to process. Once I've got the highlights reel I'll post it up.