SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Track Days (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Considering my first track day. Advice? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=202194)

SV Shaun 05-08-13 04:08 PM

Considering my first track day. Advice?

Right im looking into track days and snetterton aint to far from me so thats where im heading. Basically, ive never ever done this before, or even got my knee down (I know, how poor of me), but I hope to change all this:-)
Should I be changing anything on my bike in preperation for the day or be doing anything??
I have no clue
Cheers guys

tonyk 05-08-13 04:26 PM

Re: Considering my first track day. Advice?

Yea use someone's bike and not you own.....lol...

lights mirrors and indercators, take off if possible.

you'll enjoy it.................

SV Shaun 05-08-13 04:28 PM

Haha unfortunately thats not an option:L however there is a tidy zx9 in the garage too...

jambo 05-08-13 06:01 PM

Check out this post:
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=127659

But basically, just enjoy it, don't worry about being faster that someone else and make sure the bike's in decent condition before you turn up

Jambo

ogden 05-08-13 06:21 PM

Best advice I can give, other than what's in the other posts, is to get off your backside and book one. Like so many things, the hardest part is getting started...

maviczap 05-08-13 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyk (Post 2893190)
lights mirrors and indercators, take off if possible..

No need to, just fold your mirrors in, stops you worrying about whats behind you, the faster boys will avoid you

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogden (Post 2893225)
Best advice I can give, other than what's in the other posts, is to get off your backside and book one. Like so many things, the hardest part is getting started...

Wot he said, just go for it, first one you learn the ropes, by the end of the day you'll have got the hang of it.

The 2nd one is pure enjoyment, and you'll wonder what all the fuss was.

Snetterton is a great track

ogden 05-08-13 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2893231)
Snetterton is a great track

http://www.focusedevents.com/trackda...cd5f232eef6ea3

Spaces still available for Sunday.

Also spaces available at Cadwell on Thursday/Friday, at an event that's about perfect an introduction to trackdays as I can think of for a novice.

SV Shaun 05-08-13 06:33 PM

I checked that thread out, gave me some useful info. My bike is great atm, not sure on my tyres thou. Got a pair of metzelers on-loads of tread. Im guna book it after work tomorrow. Possibly get in the novice only day.

SV Shaun 05-08-13 06:34 PM

Im workin sunday so ill give that one a miss. Probs lookin at monday 30sep as thats a novice day and when ive got time off

ogden 05-08-13 06:38 PM

Don't get hung up about the novice thing. However crap you think you are, there'll be someone ten times slower out there. And don't worry about the knee-down thing either. It'll come. Or it won't. Either way, it doesn't matter. I've been riding on the road for 16 years and only got my knee down for the first time last October. Been making up for lost time since though ;)

Current conditions notwithstanding, you might be pushing your luck a bit at the end of September. Unless you like rain, anyway.

SV Shaun 05-08-13 06:44 PM

Ahh good point. Well as I said earlier, my old man has a zx9 and I think id feel more confident with him on track too.
Im goin purely to enjoy myself and say ive done one. Knee down is a personal thing, I hate seeing shiny sliders haha.

maviczap 05-08-13 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV Shaun (Post 2893235)
I'm not sure on my tyres thou. Got a pair of metzelers on-loads of tread.

What's wrong with Metezelers?

I can do this on Z6's :p

http://forums.sv650.org/picture.php?...pictureid=5695

SV Shaun 05-08-13 07:40 PM

Exactly what ive got on my bike. In that case im happy:-) im booking one tomorrow now

maviczap 05-08-13 07:53 PM

Same as any track day, give them a lap or two to warm up, depending on the weather.

When I last did a track day at Snett, it was warm and the track had been newly surfaced.

It might be a bit more slippery in places now its had some use.

Just ride at a pace you're happy with, yes you'll **** it up from time to time, but so long as you don't stack it big time, you'll end up with an enormous grin on your face by the end of the day.

Oh, and you'll ache in places you didn't ache in before

SV Shaun 05-08-13 08:38 PM

Haha I wouldnt mind aches and pains. Im out for a good day. Im guna try not to fudge it up as that would be bad..

mase_tw 06-08-13 09:10 AM

Well im at Snetterton on the 18th August if you fancy that one mate. I was also very nervous for my first track day last month at Brands GP but after the 1st session with a few sighting laps you realize how quick you can actually go compared to on the road. It's all about enjoying it and staying within your limits e.g not trying to be Rossi in the first 2 laps lol.

Are you towing or riding the bike up there?

I rid my SV650 up to brands when i did a track day there and you are limited on what you can take with you but aslong as you have a basic tool kit, gaffer tape, few cable ties and maybe a clear visor if you have a tinted one in at the min you should be fine. On the second one i towed my R6 ( Track Bike ) and it was a lot easier as in you could take a lot more stuff to be safer and dont have to sit around in your bulky leathers all day.

About the knee down im only 22 been riding since i was 12/13 on motorcross, mini moto's etc etc and thought id have my knee down straight away but its a lot harder than it looks so don't try force it too early. On my second track day at Snetterton 2 weeks ago i had my knee down within my second session due to just getting my body position correct ( Due to help from the guys on the forums ). Also recommend speaking to a few of the instructors on the day as they are VERY helpful !!

mase_tw 06-08-13 09:14 AM

Just rung No Limits and they have 3 Spaces left in the Novice group for that day so give them a call ASAP ;) you wont regret it!

SV Shaun 06-08-13 02:25 PM

Ill be riding it down there. I guess ill take a giant bag with me. Inc a csmping chair. I dont fancy the floor haha.
Well im 21 now and I think my sv is more than capable of getting my knee down so I think it'll just come natural:-)
My bike is ready for it I think: Beowulf can, double bouble, tail tidy, and metzeler z6 which should be fine. When I get there ill obv tape all lights up, but obv remove the plate and mirrors. Air flow;-)
My lid has those flick down sun visor thing so im good. Only got a clear visor as I dont need a dark one.
Looking forward to it now:-)

mase_tw 06-08-13 02:39 PM

Have you booked one yet mate?

Yeah thats what i did first time just took basic tools e.g few spanners, allen keys, screwdrivers, tyre pressure gauge (optional) and tape!

ogden 06-08-13 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2893272)
When I last did a track day at Snett, it was warm and the track had been newly surfaced.

It might be a bit more slippery in places now its had some use.

The last (and first) time I did a trackday at Snetterton, it snowed.

Still had knee-down happy-happy-fun-time though.

SV Shaun 06-08-13 10:35 PM

Nah not yet. Plan is, im guna go down with my dad. Seperate bikes obv. Once hes got his leathers back from "scott leathers", ill book one. Should be around 3weeks. Bit of a buzz kill but gives me time to make sure my bike is up to scratch and ready:-)

Ogden- you had your knee down in snow haha. Mental but not bad:-)

ogden 06-08-13 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV Shaun (Post 2893692)
Ogden- you had your knee down in snow haha

Now that's not quite what I said.

Cadwell the day before was interesting. Snow piled up on the grass either side of the track. No knee-down from me that day though, I gave up after five sessions because I was so fogged up I couldn't see where I was going.

SV Shaun 07-08-13 06:16 AM

Ahh well I dont even get my bike out unless its a sunny dry day haha

a_monkey_hint 07-08-13 07:11 AM

Had my first track day at Oulton a last week. One of the best days out I've had in ages!

As others have said, don't worry about it, fold the mirrors back. After the first few sighting laps you'll be amazed at how much quicker and confident compared to the road.

Each session, make sure you take 2-3 laps to warm your tyres. The 9 people that binned when I was there was nearly always on the first or second lap. It also didn't help that some sessions were greasy because of light rain.

SV Shaun 07-08-13 07:16 AM

Everyone here has given me some great advice so far so thanks guys, I just cant wait now. I think I know everything ill be taking with me aswell as what to do:-) Im just hoping that when I book it, the day I go is nice and dry!