SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   What have you tinkered with today? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=212692)

andrewsmith 28-03-15 09:23 AM

Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3005278)
not yet but i have a cunning plan.

No your not lending my bike!!! ;-)

yokohama 05-04-15 04:29 PM

I changed the oil, coolant and put in a new air filter a couple of weeks ago. No leaks so I'm happy.
Today, i switched the OE levers for some nice new adjustable ones in titanium from the2wheels.....and the clutch switch still works.
When I was changing the air filter, I had a look at the TPS screws and judging by the tippex on there, it hasn't been adjusted. Looks like that's the next job.

Corny Gizmo 07-04-15 11:14 AM

Yoko, do you have a link to those exact levers? struggling to find cheap ones with a clutch switch

yokohama 07-04-15 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corny Gizmo (Post 3006622)
Yoko, do you have a link to those exact levers? struggling to find cheap ones with a clutch switch

Here you go. They are still on discount too. I think I paid about £27.
It's strange in that the order is from the States but the levers come from Hong Kong, nicely packaged and I got mine in just over a week.

http://shop.the2wheels.com/7-Clicks-...UKI-LE7-SU.htm

I chose the basic GP lever 7 click model in long - as opposed to shorty. There are others if you want 3d colours or foldable.
There's a U shaped recess under the clutch lever which seems to go around the clutch switch and push in a little plastic pin. When you pull the clutch, the little pin comes out and I guess that's what controls the cut out switch.

gt900uk 07-04-15 07:16 PM

On the plus got my ZX10 shock fitted and stripped and greased all the roller bearings.

On the negative i thought while I was at it I might as well take the swing arm off and do those bearings. So I set about removing the exhaust which turns out to be an impossible task. The bolt under the side stand wouldn't come out and I had to hacksaw it. Then the front pipe join wouldn't come apart so I thought I would just remove the front header pipe and both the hex bolts have snapped off in the head, bugger. And to top it all off the sprocket carrier bearing has collapsed and needs replaced.

Bibio 07-04-15 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corny Gizmo (Post 3006622)

the2wheels ones are superb and i wont buy any other.

gt900uk 07-04-15 08:17 PM

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/o...407_182025.jpg

Corny Gizmo 08-04-15 12:12 PM

Thanks Yoko!

Heorot 08-04-15 02:55 PM

I bought the old version (twice). A nice feature of the old one and not on the new version is the cut out near the end of the lever. It meant that if you did drop the bike, as I did, the lever breaks at that point and you still have usable (albeit now a shorty) lever.

Red Herring 08-04-15 05:43 PM

An Aprilia SXV550. My son has hankered after one for a while and when he finally managed to get it all it wants to do is try and kill him! We're getting there but it's still got a wicked weave at high speed.......

Fruity-ya-ya 08-04-15 07:05 PM

Replaced the clutch switch on my Gladius in the hope that it resolves the c40 error I've been getting recently.

While I undertook the highly technical procedure (one clip & a screw) it got me thinking about mods for the bike.

When I've finished 'fixing' things like worn foot-peg rubbers and scuffed bar ends, perhaps it's time for a new look.
Maybe a different can and/or a non-standard headlamp?

:-D

maviczap 08-04-15 08:14 PM

Just put my summer push bike back together. Cleaned and lubed stuff. Cleaned out dust seals.

Just got the fit the chain, and new cables, and its good to go

leebex 10-04-15 08:18 PM

haven't been on here much since selling out and buying a triumph, as its the done thing on this forum lol

But currently mid fork strip down for seals on my wifes sv, oh what a fun job!

Ian P 10-04-15 09:00 PM

striped breaks down replaced seals, changed engine oil and filter, cleaned and removed the effects of winter riding oiled chain. tomorrow replace front discs

JonSV 11-04-15 04:06 PM

Replaced my nasty red anodised levers with shiny black stubby Chinese ones. Why can't all jobs be that easy?

NTECUK 11-04-15 06:13 PM

Changed the oil @150 miles filed with mineral 10 /40 to do the rest of its break in period:p

Ian P 11-04-15 06:21 PM

both front disc brakes replaced

Trev B 11-04-15 06:46 PM

Changed the Hoover bag today,wife informs me performance much improved!!!

leebex 11-04-15 08:56 PM

found out again for the 2nd time in a few months how pushing a Daytona is less fun than riding it! I had some choice names for it

nutzboutbikes 11-04-15 09:17 PM

yearly spark plug change and re-spray the left hand bar end weight

Kenzie 12-04-15 04:31 PM

Reconnected my scottoiler after knocking the pipe off. Wondered why it had stopped working.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

dirtydog 12-04-15 10:09 PM

Spent a couple of hours going through the wiring on the Raptor trying to find why it won't switch on, losts of pulling apart connectors and cleaning them

Sir Trev 13-04-15 11:04 AM

Sharpened the lawn mower blades. Again. Must stop finding excuses and get on with the job search...

Bibio 14-04-15 06:01 PM

extending all the cabling on the heated grips so its now under the tank and out the way of the elements, also excluded a connector and instead run the power from the controller all the way to the Gizmo so one less point of failure.

admin 22-04-15 02:14 PM

What have you tinkered with today?

I've been finding a new home for the scottoiler. I've now positioned it under the seat. There's not a lot of room there but I don't have a lot of choice. I've tried it in two positions on the left hand subframe of the VFR but it just gets too warm due to the exhaust and the oil just thins and pours out.

gt900uk 23-04-15 03:44 PM

Spot the difference!
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/o...423_111228.jpghttp://i366.photobucket.com/albums/o...423_162945.jpg

maviczap 23-04-15 07:44 PM

Little Oxford Nano indicators?

Red Herring 23-04-15 08:36 PM

Painted fork legs.....

arfoll 23-04-15 08:44 PM

What did you use to paint the fork legs? And what did you treat the fork with before? Mine are starting to go like that, looks ugly.

gt900uk 23-04-15 09:01 PM

Nano indy's were already there. Fork legs are powder coated. I got a second hand set off eBay with damper rods and got them powder coated (after drilling out the stuck bolts and retapping) and got a local company to modify the damper rods to fit the debrix emulators. That way when i didn't have to have anymore down time for the bike I could just switch them over. So forks are fully serviced now and looking much better. Have taken the fairings off and stuck the belly pan on for a bit also.

Bibio 23-04-15 10:08 PM

could have washed the front wheel while you were at it :-)

gt900uk 23-04-15 10:41 PM

Got to leave myself a job for the weekend ;)

nutzboutbikes 24-04-15 04:28 PM

been out side all day and sprayed the rusty wheels on the van black

Fruity-ya-ya 28-04-15 09:03 PM

Picked up some heated grips (bargin brand new £62 oxford sports premium) so hopefully the rain will hold off this weekend. :)

Littlepeahead 28-04-15 09:49 PM

Took the brakes apart and put them back together on one of the college bikes. Safe to say there's no way either front or back would work again without new seals, possibly completely new MC.

nutzboutbikes 01-05-15 04:06 PM

Fitted some foot rest riser plates and refreshed the front brake fluid.

jambo 11-05-15 11:29 AM

Completed something of a backlog on the SV over the weekend, I've been short of time so just putting petrol in the top, oil in the bottom and keeping an eye on everything else, so it was getting to feel quite vague.

Replaced the shock linkage with a 2nd hand one with some new bearings and some decent used ones. Due to the way the bikes are put together in the factory this requires removing the exhaust system which was in the way of removing the frame mounting bolt for the front of the linkage. Needless to say all the bolts holding the exhaust system on were seized and corroded. Replaced rear brake pads and both tyres too.

Manually changing your own tyres. I know I'm a weakling but that was a faff! Don't know if Dunlop carcasses are particularly tough or I'm just a wimp but the lightly used Pilot Powers went on a lot easier than the old Roadsmarts came off!

Having stripped and rebuilt the forks a couple of weeks ago the bike feels completely transformed. Need to spend some miles on it to see if anything needs adjusting but the effect of having nice bearings, and round tyres and fresh fork oil is lovely!

Bibio, you'd have loved the state of my old shock linkage, the front bearing cage had given up so when Davet and I pulled the linkage out the frame the rollers started falling out onto the floor!

Jambo

Bibio 11-05-15 03:51 PM

sound like it was in a right mess. they could have been full complement bearings :-)

maviczap 11-05-15 03:53 PM

Not today, but yesterday, I cleaned and RRG my left caliper, as it was binding.

Full strip & seal change required for both, as it was a short term fix for today's track day

andrewsmith 11-05-15 05:02 PM

Jambo, Dunlops may as well be made out of steel, they are a pig without a machine breaker