SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   What have you tinkered with today? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=212692)

maviczap 01-09-14 08:41 PM

Re: What have you tinkered with today?

My rear caliper, cleaned and lubed, the pistons are now freer than they were, it is going to need a full strip, clean and replace the seals.

Explains the odd feeling from the brake pedal when I rode it on Friday, seemed to be fine for the first half of the TOGMIE rideout on Saturday, but leaving the pub car park, I could hear it. The disc was hot to touch.

NTECUK 01-09-14 10:26 PM

Broke down at Tesco.
Rang AA in the 20 mins I had got it striped. Identified issue.
Directed Mr AA what bits (3 terminals in line fuse holder to by pass starter relay and main fuse connector.).
Jump pack. Mr AA says. I'm so gona take the pi$$ if this don't work.
Jab starter and were away.
Thanks Mr AA for the bits and the power.

NakedHound 02-09-14 08:17 AM

Installed Osram Nightbreaker headlight bulb. And hey presto, I don't need night vision goggles when riding dusk till dawn!

admin 03-09-14 03:24 PM

Just fitted Michelin road pilot 4 to the rear of the VFR. Replaces a road pilot 1 and that was pretty impressive. Not cheap mind.

sent via Pony Express

Matt-EUC 03-09-14 03:25 PM

What have you tinkered with today?

Not cheap but worth the extra dosh. You'll not regret it.

admin 03-09-14 03:59 PM

Re: Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt-EUC (Post 2977252)
Not cheap but worth the extra dosh. You'll not regret it.

That's what I'm hoping. I've been using Conti Road Attack's for the past few years on the SV. They inspired confidence but the Michelin's on the VFR have won me over.

sent via Pony Express

NTECUK 03-09-14 04:01 PM

Road attack are cheaper though

admin 03-09-14 05:30 PM

Re: Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTECUK (Post 2977268)
Road attack are cheaper though

They are and I was sorely tempted to fit them.

sent via Pony Express

Matt-EUC 03-09-14 05:35 PM

What have you tinkered with today?

They've also been recalled.

NTECUK 03-09-14 06:27 PM

Easy to check which are OK.
And helps make then cheaper as people get put off.
Will get some for use next year on the zx6r
Sticking with Metzeller on the 675

andrewsmith 03-09-14 09:37 PM

Sodding bike electrics! An hour of **** farting to get the alternator case back on the bike

sent with the power of thought, through the medium of magic marker

atassiedevil 04-09-14 08:16 AM

Collected a Kawasaki EN500 for the mrs last night. Now she's going to have to do her DAS, despite repeated prodding to do it earlier.

Bibio 04-09-14 03:33 PM

trying out my birthday prezzy from the other half.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2n64zr8.jpg

and the bike back to normal after my little legs found no road on a camber

http://i57.tinypic.com/33wxnx2.jpg

NTECUK 04-09-14 03:35 PM

They are a brilliant idea.

andrewsmith 04-09-14 03:38 PM

Expect that to find my car ;)

maviczap 04-09-14 03:47 PM

I am so gonna get one of those for my ABBA stand

I've plugged in a present to myself, I bought a Dennon soundbase for my TV, not as good as a full system, but a big improvement on standard TV speakers

Bibio 04-09-14 03:50 PM

they are nice but not that easy to use. looking at the vid the bloke makes it look oooohhhh soooo easy pulling on the strap... borloks it is, you have to put all your weight on the swingarm and pull with all your might. another thing is loosening it again, the bike dont come down gentle. it's nice to have the front in the air without anything hindering it but a headstock stand is way better. it will be nice to take to others when i'm doing their front ends as it will be a lot less space in the boot.

DarrenSV650S 04-09-14 03:52 PM

That looks so handy! Much easer than tying stuff to the roof. What was the damage from the drop Lance?

maviczap 04-09-14 03:53 PM

Yep, headstock stand is better, but mine takes up too much room in my garage for the amount of time its used.

So one of these is a great alternative

Bibio 04-09-14 03:53 PM

nowt much just a few scratches, bent gear lever, bust indicator, bent bar and a snapped clutch lever. the usual drop stuff.

DarrenSV650S 04-09-14 03:54 PM

Not too bad. Still frustrating when it happens though

NTECUK 04-09-14 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 2977450)
they are nice but not that easy to use. looking at the vid the bloke makes it look oooohhhh soooo easy pulling on the strap... borloks it is, you have to put all your weight on the swingarm and pull with all your might. another thing is loosening it again, the bike dont come down gentle. it's nice to have the front in the air without anything hindering it but a headstock stand is way better. it will be nice to take to others when i'm doing their front ends as it will be a lot less space in the boot.

my spider stands ok as its got a damper. but no way to get to the swinging arm like the adapter you have for your sv

Bibio 04-09-14 04:00 PM

when your my hight you get used to it :-)

Geodude 04-09-14 04:03 PM

Ive got same setup Bibs, really useful bit of kit. Your not little Bibs your concentrated ;)

Bibio 04-09-14 04:04 PM

the embarrassing part is though i had to get folk to take the bike out the carpark just in case i done it again. thank you, you know who you are.

maviczap 04-09-14 04:06 PM

S'alright I dropped my Sv the other day too and I'm not concentrated like you Bib.

Didn't put the side stand down properly at the petrol station, I need to ride it more often.

NTECUK 04-09-14 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 2977459)
the embarrassing part is though i had to get folk to take the bike out the carpark just in case i done it again. thank you, you know who you are.

Maybe slightly more embarrassing
Doing a U turn on the daytona and dropping it infront of 30 people and neding 2 to lift it of you:roll:

NakedHound 04-09-14 05:15 PM

Nearly had my first drop last night. Waiting to turn right at a steep sloping junction with my wife onboard. Luckily she has long legs and managed to plant her right foot on the road and helped me take the weight. Thankfully no one around to ridicule me.

Bibio 09-09-14 02:31 PM

fitted heated grips that i have had lying around for ages. its not cold enough at night for my heated gloves but my fingers are getting cold so it was on with the grips. i wont use them much but they are now there if i need them :-)

Zim 09-09-14 04:49 PM

Fitted a tutoro auto, couldn't really figure out how to hide it but it looks kind of neat tucked in behind the RH Front Foot Rest Guard (part no. 43576-19F00 - I had to look it up to know what to call it). If I see anywhere better to put it I may move it, for the moment it's fine.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/261180/tutoro1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/261180/tutoro2.jpg

garynortheast 09-09-14 06:55 PM

New Metzeler Roadtec Z6 tyres fitted. Another 5000 miles of twisty road fun awaits!

Zim 09-09-14 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 2978433)
fitted heated grips that i have had lying around for ages. its not cold enough at night for my heated gloves but my fingers are getting cold so it was on with the grips. i wont use them much but they are now there if i need them :-)

Super-awesome gizmo-enabled?

maviczap 09-09-14 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 2978489)
New Metzeler Roadtec Z6 tyres fitted. Another 5000 miles of twisty road fun awaits!

Great tyres :makelurve:

NTECUK 09-09-14 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2978504)
Great tyres :makelurve:

Hopefully you (and me) will get more than 5000 miles from them
5 k out of the M rear on the daytona.

garynortheast 09-09-14 09:01 PM

I rarely get more than 5000 miles out of any rear tyre. It's the penalty I pay for living in a place with such gloriously twisty roads. I tend to wear the outer part of the tread well before the centre.

Great tyres though as you say Mav. Remind me very much of the Diablo Strada with their handling characteristics.

Bibio 09-09-14 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zim (Post 2978498)
Super-awesome gizmo-enabled?

i think it would be rude not to :D

it'll be interesting to see how you get on with that oilier, looks a really neat install.

Zim 09-09-14 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 2978529)
it'll be interesting to see how you get on with that oilier, looks a really neat install.

Yeah I looked at the options and checked out the opinions but in the end seeing as it's a small and local business (10 miles or so from me) I figured I would give it a go. I very nearly installed it under the seat, I think you could probably do it with it sitting upright under the seat but in the end I didn't want to sacrifice what little space there is for stowage. Anyone who says they are unsightly has obviously become totally oblivious to the front brake reservoir.

Red Herring 10-09-14 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 2978522)
I rarely get more than 5000 miles out of any rear tyre.....

You're not trying hard enough, I struggle to get 2k out of mine, and that's on the SV! Having said that I don't do any commuting on it, only playtime.

andrewsmith 10-09-14 07:48 PM

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...c60b6a6466.jpg

Today was the wind up of Sundays work

sent with the power of thought, through the medium of magic marker

garynortheast 10-09-14 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Herring (Post 2978636)
You're not trying hard enough, I struggle to get 2k out of mine, and that's on the SV! Having said that I don't do any commuting on it, only playtime.

Blimey RH, don't think I could afford to be replacing tyres every 2000 miles!