SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   What have you tinkered with today? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=212692)

timwilky 20-09-14 09:25 AM

Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Oh the temptation to wreak havoc.

I got a phone call out the blue yesterday, could I look at fixing some bugs on a web site.

But not just any web site. A personal injury claims management companies web site.......

Ever the professional, I resisted temptation and fixed all that I can with the information they have given me. but one I cannot fix without more info when they are back in the office Monday.

atassiedevil 22-09-14 12:38 PM

Carb swap on the mrs EN500, and better exhausts fitted to the VF750F. Both running sweet now.

NTECUK 22-09-14 01:07 PM

Temporary permanent end can strap on the zx6r.

Fruity-ya-ya 22-09-14 07:40 PM

Osram nightbreaker for the Gladius and a software update on the dab stereo in the wifes car. Quite a productive evening so far. Now onto a liquid top up for me!

garynortheast 22-09-14 10:54 PM

Fixed an intermittent rear indicator fault on one side of the SV and sorted a loose rear indicator on the other side, then cleaned and reproofed my leathers.

Geodude 23-09-14 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 2981301)
cleaned and reproofed my leathers.

What do you use Gary?

*sorry for derail

NTECUK 23-09-14 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geodude (Post 2981322)
What do you use Gary?

*sorry for derail

Maybe a bottle of baby oil and a young lady lol

Geodude 23-09-14 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTECUK (Post 2981324)

Woohoo sounds good to me :D

garynortheast 23-09-14 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTECUK (Post 2981324)

Mmm, tempting! :smt077

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geodude (Post 2981322)
What do you use Gary?

*sorry for derail

Geo, I've got a 2 piece set of Dainese leathers I bought from a fellow orger, markmoto, back in 2010. Lovely, well made leathers they are too but a few of the crease points around the knees were starting to look a bit scuffed along with the grazes from a low speed spill the year before last.

I use this http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/produc...-1&fabricid=-1 for cleaning and this http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/produc...-1&fabricid=-1 for proofing/conditioning but this time I used some of this http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/produc...-1&fabricid=-1 in black to treat the scuffed and faded areas before using the spray on proofer.

I try and look after my leathers as I can't afford to keep replacing expensive bits of kit. I'd rather spend a little time, effort and money on cleaning/proofing materials and keep what I have in good order.

dizzyblonde 23-09-14 04:11 PM

I tidied up and made space to start using this. Very good investment for the stable :smt033
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...8ffcc73f86cb4b
Didn't quite get round to doing what I was supposed to on Friday, so maybe I'll get round to it this weekend instead :rolleyes:

NTECUK 23-09-14 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyblonde (Post 2981382)
I tidied up and made space to start using this. Very good investment for the stable :smt033

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...8ffcc73f86cb4b

Didn't quite get round to doing what I was supposed to on Friday, so maybe I'll get round to it this weekend instead :rolleyes:

Did it come with adaptors for the "Kiddie Coup'e"???

dizzyblonde 23-09-14 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTECUK (Post 2981383)
Did it come with adaptors for the "Kiddie Coup'e"???

:lol:

I'm sure the youngest might make it fit

Bibio 23-09-14 04:33 PM

i can honestly say i could not live without my ABBA stand, the front lift adaptor however.... is ok but not great.

top tip when using the front lift, make sure that you fully ram home the front stay or things get a bit wobbly. the front lift works better when you use with the swingarm spindle bobbins and not the swingarm removal bobins.

the front lift is however superb for getting in there to clean the front wheel and changing tyres.

dizzyblonde 23-09-14 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 2981387)
i can honestly say i could not live without my ABBA stand, the front lift adaptor however.... is ok but not great.

top tip when using the front lift, make sure that you fully ram home the front stay or things get a bit wobbly. the front lift works better when you use with the swingarm spindle bobbins and not the swingarm removal bobins.

the front lift is however superb for getting in there to clean the front wheel and changing tyres.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I got it, apart from me needing the front end of the Raptor off the floor. I had the brass, so thought why not have that too.
I'll bear the top tip in mind. I really don't want any wobbles going on, I've enough to repair without that falling over!

Geodude 25-09-14 09:20 AM

Thanks for all the info Gary, cheers bud :)

Nice addition to the man cave Dizz :)

shiftin_gear98 25-09-14 12:00 PM

Love my Abba stand with the front lift.
Made getting to the green connector (Lances from below method) a damn sight easier when I was faffing with my wiring.

jambo 25-09-14 02:45 PM

Today I have been mostly playing with carbs. With the track bike having stolen the carbs out of the road bike, the track carbs have had to be apart to solve a running issue. With a damaged diaphragm replaced hopefully it'll be fine now.

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard

maviczap 25-09-14 05:40 PM

My mid year review :puker:

Plus a clearout of my desk :D

NTECUK 25-09-14 06:37 PM

Fitted a 2nd hand mirror on the green machine

jambo 26-09-14 04:21 PM

3 jobs today:
Replace foot peg on a mate's sv - easy.
Rebuild front brake calipers and put in new pads - easy.
Several hours tidying the garage - Oof!

Jambo

Littlepeahead 26-09-14 06:06 PM

I broke the lock on the scorers box door. Thought I was going to be in there all weekend but luckily I managed to get hold of the Estates on duty manager who came and let me out. This is why I shouldn't tinker, I break things.

Zim 28-09-14 01:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fitted an SW-Motech "alu-rack" for a top box. It was a fairly easy fit, no real instructions as such, just a fairly basic but well labelled exploded diagram and a parts ID sheet. Took about two hours as I'm big on tea breaks and don't rush. Actually, there is one part of the install that involves putting aluminium "barrels" in between the welded helmet strap brackets under the pillion seat that was fairly tricky to align well enough to allow a bolt through. The rest was easy.

I got the givi top box on ebay for just over half RRP in excellent condition. Fits two lids (mine and my wife's, I'm not Zaphod Beeeblebrox).

I'm considering the SW-Motech side panniers next, but I'm out of cash...

ZER0 28-09-14 09:13 AM

I took my rear wheel off for the first time. That was interesting.

It had a small nail in so I took it in for repair. As I needed to adjust the chain too, I thought I'd do it myself so just took the wheel in. That was fine. It was putting it back on that was a struggle...

Trying to hold the wheel in the right place, while getting the disc in between the brake pads, while holding the right side spacer in place and knocking the axel bolt through was a challenge to say the least.

After quite a bit of struggling I managed to get it all on. Then reached to get the bracket and nut that go on the outside of the swing arm, and realised I'd forgot about the left spacer! You really can't just squeeze it in, so it all came off, and I struggled to get it all on again.

All back on, both spacers, not catching the brakes etc as lined up beautifully. And spins for ages as I'd greased it all up. "Hold on a minute, it's spinning for ages and something doesn't look right!" Aaarrrgggghhhhhh THE CHAIN!

Fine, lets take it all off again, and start from the beginning. I did get it done, all by myself. And I'm pleased I did it. It's all part of learning I guess. I certainly won't be making the same mistakes again. Now, I know it's not exactly an engine rebuild. But considering I have the mechanical knowledge of a two year old, it's a start :)

maviczap 28-09-14 09:47 AM

Captive spacers are the answer to your problem :p

Littlepeahead 28-09-14 01:38 PM

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...b8fc6f3d03.jpg

I have changed the air filter on my BMW GS all by myself, only chipped one fingernail, needed only 2 tools from my girly pink toolkit and it took 20 minutes.

We spent over 2 hours just getting as far as exposing the air box on CMSD2's Triumph Tiger at our college class on Wednesday then putting the bike back together so could get home. You have to remove lights, indicators, several fairings, tank and that was with 2 of us working on it. No wonder the dealer charges so much.

NTECUK 28-09-14 01:50 PM

Sometime form over function seams to be the order of the day.
To check/ top up the coolant in the radiator (I honestly don't trust header tanks) on the Daytona is side faring off!
Today I have mostly been wall paper stripping.
Mad sun's out warm and dry! Getting old

Sir Trev 28-09-14 04:38 PM

I refilled the spool on the strimmer, and then swore every five seconds as it misfed all the way round the lawn... Time to go hunt down a how-to vid on YouTube as I cannot see how winding nylon twine into a bobbin can go so wrong!

admin 28-09-14 04:59 PM

Lol. Had a similar problem till I realised I was winding it in the wrong direction.

sent via Pony Express

NTECUK 28-09-14 06:03 PM

Spent the later half of the afternoon stripping a zx6 for spares.

jonny.boyd 28-09-14 07:47 PM

Managed to finish fixing up this little beast and spent a day having a good play around in some fields :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...aa4d981a321e0a

Massive grin factor!!!!

Zim 28-09-14 08:15 PM

Today I fitted Bibio's Electrical Gizmo. Started late afternoon and was done by 6:00pm so all in all it only took around 18 months...

Got the old multimeter out to check everything was working and it works lubberly. A tiny click from the relay on ignition and voltage begins to flow, then stops with the bike powering down. Very satisfactory and a wonderful device, thanks mate.

maviczap 28-09-14 08:23 PM

Configured my daughters old Samsung phone so it would store apps to the SD card storage, not the phones internal memory.

Sounds straight forward, but it involved downloading a program & using 'command prompt' function to change the storage option

andrewsmith 28-09-14 08:43 PM

attacking my sony phone to try and stop the **** build screwing up again!!

NTECUK 28-09-14 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2982172)
Configured my daughters old Samsung phone so it would store apps to the SD card storage, not the phones internal memory.

Sounds straight forward, but it involved downloading a program & using 'command prompt' function to change the storage option

Is that an roundabout way of saying you rooted it?

maviczap 28-09-14 09:06 PM

No, didn't need to root it

atassiedevil 29-09-14 04:10 PM

Tried to get the fork bottom bolts out of the EN ready for new seals. No soap, practically welded in.
Will have to drill out and replace, or take somewhere to get it done.
Frustrating as apart from fork seals, its' ready for MOT.

The two tiddler 125s for the kids are ready for MOT too. Tomorrow will be a busy day.

admin 30-09-14 09:34 PM

Playing with adobe Photoshop elements. The more you play with it the more you discover.

sent via Pony Express

shiftin_gear98 03-10-14 01:04 PM

Got to work today to find my R&G tail tidy in two bits number plate hanging by the indicator wires!
Definitely wasn't like that when I got on the bike.

So that was my lunchtime - making a temp bracket to hold it back on so I can ride home..
All done and not too fugly either. Even used S80 fittings.

Time to plan mark II - sod £70.00 for a new one.

jambo 03-10-14 01:29 PM

Getting properly familiar with another set of sv650 carbs.

Jambo

andrewsmith 03-10-14 02:25 PM

Getting the curvy out for a stretch of its legs

Shameless plug!! Its for sale you know

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=213135