SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   How much should a 4K service cost?? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=56573)

valleyboy 11-12-04 09:57 AM

How much should a 4K service cost??

Topic says it all... especially want to know how much from Fowlers in Bristol.. or in general really... needed 4K service done a few hundred miles ago :D

Cloggsy 11-12-04 10:09 AM

Dunno about Fowlers, but my local dealer wanted to charge me £170 :shock: Robbin' tw@'s :roll:

Get the stuff from HG & DIY it - £24.99 - That's what I'm doing :wink:

Muttley 11-12-04 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloggsy
Get the stuff from HG & DIY it - £24.99 - That's what I'm doing :wink:

Lets just hope you don't have any warranty issues then. :)

Can't remember how much I paid for mine (it was only a month or so ago).

pegasus 11-12-04 11:27 AM

orwells in ipswich £99 parts and labour

Flamin_Squirrel 11-12-04 11:39 AM

£120

chutz 11-12-04 12:28 PM

did mine myself and have every service since. Still had 2 things done under warranty!!!!! Grab rail replaced and temperature sensor replaced. Never got asked for my service book and they KNOW I do it myself as I talk about it with the mechanic. In all I have saved well over a grand by doing my own servicing and I know it's been done right and all parts are replaced as they need it. Depends on the individual but I do over 20k miles a year and it would not be cost effective to go to the dealer and the loss of re-sale value is not important and more than made up for by my savings anyway. 8)

Plus I quite enjoy doing it anyway.Just did my Dad's CB1300 with him this morning!!! :lol:

jonboy 11-12-04 02:37 PM

I agree with Cloggsy and Chutz, for what you get from the dealer it's over-priced. A 4000 miler is easy so why not do it yourself - and it won't invalidate your warranty (EC regs), just keep your receipts and keep a log, including mileage, of what you do.

Muttley 11-12-04 02:50 PM

My mistake on the warranty front.

valleyboy 11-12-04 05:41 PM

Well, from looking at the owners manual, theres not that much do be done for a 4K service anyway.

One thing that does need doing though is the Cam chain tensioners.. damn things are driving me nuts now!!!! Had a go at doing them today while doing the TPS mod.. bloody hell! talk about hard to get at!!!!

Plus its completly different to whats mentioned in all the othere threads!! undoo the bolt.. and a spring pops out... no sign of anything to screw at the bottom of the chamber either...... might wait until the 7500 Mile service to get it sorted though....

So.. if I am to do this myself.. could someone give me some main points to look out for ??

I cant be arsed to spend £100+ for bugger all so close to Chrimbo. I can do that ina pub.. at least I get a hangover to show for it!!!

Cheers!

valleyboy 11-12-04 05:42 PM

p.s. While we are here.. how much should the 7500mile service cost?? I can plan ahead for that one :D