SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   That's my day ruined... (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=222974)

yokohama 23-06-16 11:23 AM

That's my day ruined...

I'd planned a nice run out to the lakes today. Through the Dales to Windermere, Kirkstone Pass, Penrith, Alston and down Teesdale to Barnard Castle and home.
I pulled in at Aysgarth for some petrol and noticed the indicator light on the panel flashing double quickly. Had a quick look and neither of the rears were working. I checked the connections and wiggled things around a bit; got one going but not the left hand one. Opened it up and the bulb was blown. Really helpful guy at the garage gave me a replacement car one which flashed at double speed but at least worked ...... Something didn't look quite right at the back of the bike though....
Oh yeah, I used to have a number plate there?? :confused::confused:
God knows where it went but I thought with dodgy indicators and no number plate, it'd be sensible to cut my losses.
At least I didn't have to worry about speed cameras on the way home. :p

ManMango 23-06-16 08:33 PM

Re: That's my day ruined...

I don't know if this is a thing or not but do naughty people steal numbers plates from bikes to use for a day tearing around before dumping it and nicking another one?

You may want to report it to the police just incase...

yokohama 23-06-16 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManMango (Post 3047901)
I don't know if this is a thing or not but do naughty people steal numbers plates from bikes to use for a day tearing around before dumping it and nicking another one?

You may want to report it to the police just incase...

I thought that too - someone might pick it up and put it on a stolen bike so I reported it. TBH, Police were useless. The local station is on the way to the shops so I called in, only to be told to call 101 because they can't deal with that kind of thing at the desk. 101 weren't bothered either, it's not a crime so they can't log it. I insisted they wrote it down in an incident book, just in case I receive a speeding NIP someday for a place I've never been to.
Unlikely, but you never know.

johnnyrod 23-06-16 09:01 PM

Print one, laminate/tape it, and stick it on? All it has to pass is a cursory look

yokohama 24-06-16 09:44 AM

I got a new one made up yesterday Johnny. Very easy to do.
Looked at fitting it this morning and the number plate bracket is bent at both sides and the plate doesn't fit flush like it used to. I was in slow stop start traffic yesterday; starting to wonder if something nudged me from behind, very gently, enough to break the plate off although I didn't feel anything. That might explain the indicators too, knocked out by the vibrations.