SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   South & West Surfers (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Speed snitches (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=155902)

Wideboy 12-08-10 12:09 PM

Speed snitches

Apparently dorset police have unveiled plans to give locals the power to report speeding motorists and issue them with speed guns to help.

all they can do is take down you reg, photo and speed then report you, so you get a naughty letter sent to you telling you not to do it again, three times and you get fined.... can't see it standing up in court

another drain on the tax payer prehaps? i'd like to see what happens when a driver dislikes having his picture taken by a busy body

metalhead19 12-08-10 12:14 PM

Re: Speed snitches

Cant see that working tbh. If they had it in for someone could easily stitch them up. Too easily forged to be used as solid proof. But then mayb thats why its 3 strikes n fine.

wizurd 12-08-10 12:18 PM

Well i hope its not true or doesn't actually come in to force. I don't live around that way but it would probably spread like wildfire. Sounds like such a bad idea, some busy body oap that has nothing better to do pointing a speed camera around, o great. Worst thing you can do is give these sort of people any actual power.

If these time wasters have nothing better to do and they really are concerned about speeding why don't they use them as human speed bumps. Cost a lot less for sure :-)

maviczap 12-08-10 12:21 PM

Open to a whole host of abuse, especially if someone doesn't like you and has the camera

wizurd 12-08-10 12:23 PM

You've only got to look at the Police force and the amount of times you hear about abuse of power in the news. It would be a hell of a lot worse with local busy bodys.

wizurd 12-08-10 12:40 PM

From the bournemouth echo - quote from Dorset’s assistant chief constable Adrian Whiting
“They will stand by the roadside and record the registration number of a speeding car before passing the information to their local police inspector who will write to the registered keeper.
“If it keeps happening we will take our own steps to catch the driver responsible and take enforcement action.”
So basically the police will still have to go out and then catch this driver speeding using proper equipment i assume. What a waste of tax payers money. Although i wouldnt mind one of the cameras :-)

metalangel 12-08-10 12:48 PM

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload...biker-full.jpg

Wideboy 12-08-10 12:48 PM

lets not turn this into plod bashing :lol:.... its just going to be an extra drain on funds and already dwindling police time.

i'd like to meet the desk jockys that come up with these solutions because they really need a medal for being special :lol:

Wideboy 12-08-10 12:48 PM

lets not turn this into plod bashing :lol:.... its just going to be an extra drain on funds and already dwindling police time.

i'd like to meet the desk jockys that come up with these solutions because they really need a medal for being special :lol:

BaP 12-08-10 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizurd (Post 2341682)
From the bournemouth echo - quote from Dorset’s assistant chief constable Adrian Whiting
“They will stand by the roadside and record the registration number of a speeding car before passing the information to their local police inspector who will write to the registered keeper.
“If it keeps happening we will take our own steps to catch the driver responsible and take enforcement action.”
So basically the police will still have to go out and then catch this driver speeding using proper equipment i assume. What a waste of tax payers money. Although i wouldnt mind one of the cameras :-)

As a now retired student and a fully fledged taxpayer - this makes me ANGRY. So they give the police the heads-up on people who are speeding and the police will hunt you down to get some proof? This will never work, ever.