SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   The SV (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=237206)

Seeker 12-09-20 10:09 AM

The SV

I took the SV out this morning and it was like a breath of fresh air. The MT09SP and to a lesser extent the Z900RS are drama queens. The MT demanded you rode fast, do fast up shifts - it had great brakes but didn't want to go slow, down shifts were harsh and comfort? hah! it spat in the eye of comfort.
The Z900RS demands precision, you must declutch and shift with the exact synchronisation and it will give you a smooth gear change. This, of course, excludes the 5th to 6th and 6th to 5th which will always "clunk" (it afflicts some bikes - mine being one - there's no fix). Don't get me started on slipper clutches, they can slip right off in my opinion.
So, the SV - it's motors along, slowly or quickly - you want to change gear - sure I'll do that it says, no problem - you enjoy the ride I'll take care of everything. Which brings me to the question; why aren't all bikes like this?
It's an inexpensive bike but it just works, no drama. I've owned 15 or so bikes and this is still my choice as the best one. Thanks Suzuki.

gadget 12-09-20 01:14 PM

Re: The SV

Kind of have to agree ... it's not the best bike I've ever had (in terms of performance or handling) and doesn't really shine in any particular area (apart from the low to midrange grunt) but imo it does everything well. Mine has probably been the best 'impulse buy' by far and what started out as a toy is now becoming my obsession!

Dave20046 12-09-20 01:17 PM

+1 . I'm never getting rid of mine (although my suspension and brakes work :P )

Dave20046 12-09-20 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadget (Post 3119746)
Kind of have to agree ... it's not the best bike I've ever had (in terms of performance or handling) and doesn't really shine in any particular area (apart from the low to midrange grunt) but imo it does everything well. Mine has probably been the best 'impulse buy' by far and what started out as a toy is now becoming my obsession!

It shines in being lightweight and very quick to turn. The low down torque makes exitting corners great fun. It's also a very reliable engine.

SV650rules 12-09-20 04:22 PM

Don't even have to think about foibles when riding the SV, or any special requirements, at the ( legal ) speeds I ride at it handles fine, I have to say it is nicer to ride with the Avon Storms on, they really suit the SV, and give confidence.. The only requirements of the SV seem to be oil and fuel and a bit of air in the tyres. For the money it really is a competent all rounder with well sorted engine and spot-on fuelling. Nice in traffic or on clear roads. I only originally got my SV because I loved the sound of the exhaust, then found out what a competent fun bike it is later....

Hardly ever use clutch on upshifts, the gearbox really is sweet....

embee 12-09-20 06:07 PM

Took mine out today for a 50mile run. It'll be 20yrs old next spring, I've owned it from new. I guess it's a keeper. :D

Bibio 12-09-20 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave20046 (Post 3119750)
It shines in being lightweight and very quick to turn. The low down torque makes exitting corners great fun. It's also a very reliable engine.

the thing is the SV is not that lightweight it just feels light as the weight is in the centre of the bike and its narrow.

as for handling fresh out the box its ok till you get a wiggle on then it will bite you in the ass the first moment it can. stick some decent performance springy bits on and its simply stunning at going round corners (in the right hands).

comfort.. ermm well its torture is the only way i can describe it but it can be sorted.

CC's are not everything and a well fettled SV proves it.

Dave20046 12-09-20 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3119778)
the thing is the SV is not that lightweight it just feels light as the weight is in the centre of the bike and its narrow.

as for handling fresh out the box its ok till you get a wiggle on then it will bite you in the ass the first moment it can. stick some decent performance springy bits on and its simply stunning at going round corners (in the right hands).

comfort.. ermm well its torture is the only way i can describe it but it can be sorted.

CC's are not everything and a well fettled SV proves it.

True , I was going to write 'seems lightweight' . I always describe them as 'flickable'

And yes, comfort - not great on longer rides for me and my knees are agony (but have rearsets on) on proper hoons

GeorgeRYoung 12-09-20 11:29 PM

Very happy with my 2003 SV650S. Had a Gen 1 also. There are other more specialized bikes, but for an all rounder, it's hard to beat. Adequate power, smooth power band, minimal vibration, reasonable weight, keeps me with a smile on my face.

SV650rules 13-09-20 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeRYoung (Post 3119784)
Very happy with my 2003 SV650S. Had a Gen 1 also. There are other more specialized bikes, but for an all rounder, it's hard to beat. Adequate power, smooth power band, minimal vibration, reasonable weight, keeps me with a smile on my face.

And as a bonus, pretty amazing MPG on the 2016--> Euro 4 SV...