SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Halal meat (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=209989)

Fallout 08-05-14 05:38 PM

Halal meat

I saw a article on the news today about Halal meat and the animals not being stunned. Some animal welfare dude said something about wanting to ban all instances of animals being killed without stunning them first on the grounds that it was inhumane. I actually laughed out loud.

I find it tiring listening to this kind of guff. How do you rationalise in your brain better ways to murder an animal? How do you get to a place in your head where you honestly think "stun then throat slit" is better for the animal than just slitting its throat? I'm not arguing that it isn't, I'm arguing that its feckin irrelevent. If you're going to take a herd of animals to get murdered and end their lives (which is the ultimate evil as far as the animal concerned) why make a big deal about the few minutes before it happens?

If you want to be a veggie on animal welfare grounds, then fine. Good for you. You're not murdering animals. You've made a stand. Fair play.

If you want to murder animals but do it in 'a nice way' then shut up.

For the record, I eat meat. Now hit me with your ridiculous animal welfare arguments and ease your murderous conscience by babbling on about nice ways to murder. You know you want to. :D

davepreston 08-05-14 05:52 PM

Re: Halal meat

ok lets try this one
ever heard of the Geneva convention
now use the same argument in that context
I think you'll find the reason for that agreement holds the same when dealing with your chosen subject

pookie 08-05-14 05:53 PM

i prefer it when someone else does the murdering... i tried with a fish once but it went a bit floppy and kept staring at me

Specialone 08-05-14 05:54 PM

Shut up Si, next time I murder you I won't make it painless and see how you like it, halal meat can do one, I want my meat the old fashioned way, no slitty throaty.

Littlepeahead 08-05-14 05:59 PM

I have bigger issues with how the meat is farmed in the first place than the last ten minutes of the animal's life. Most pigs especially have miserable lives, so I choose not to eat them, we do have pork at home but only free range from pigs that have had happier lives than most. And I do have some idea what I'm talking about as my family are generations of pork farmers, but mum didn't take over the farm.

DarrenSV650S 08-05-14 06:47 PM

I'm more bothered about how companies bend over backwards to please the minority for fear of racism. That pees me off more than what they are actually doing different. Can't say I'm too fussed about eating halal or normal meat. But replacing ham and bacon with turkey is ridiculous

Shawthing 08-05-14 06:55 PM

Fear induced steroids and hormones in the meat will be consumed by humans. Common since says this should be minimised.

Fallout 08-05-14 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepreston (Post 2953687)
ok lets try this one
ever heard of the Geneva convention
now use the same argument in that context
I think you'll find the reason for that agreement holds the same when dealing with your chosen subject

The GC is also ridiculous in its own way, but the parts about the people that are left behind make sense. Rules for murder are ridiculous. Rules about cluster bombs and biological weapons etc are there to minimise the long term affect once the war is over. I don't see the long term affect on the cow race by deciding what happens before they get their throats slit.

Bibio 08-05-14 07:56 PM

have you ever seen how chickens are mechanically slaughtered... it makes Halal methods humane. i have no problems with how animals are slaughtered, after all how did we used to do it before all these sandal wearing muesli munching arzwipes got involved.

maviczap 08-05-14 08:06 PM

Don't think Mr Great White shark, Mr & Mrs Tiger would stun us before killing us would they.

I've more issues with what's put in the meat as to how its killed