SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Oil Filter (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=114278)

Baz 21-07-08 07:20 AM

Oil Filter

This may be a daft question but is there much difference in oil filters?
Want to put a new one on but wasn't sure if it really matters what kind.
If it makes a difference I'm on a 99 SV650S.

Alpinestarhero 21-07-08 07:21 AM

Re: Oil Filter

I've used the ones from halfords on my 1999 SV-S

and right now there is a genuine suzuki filter

Makes noooo differance :D Halfords ones are a bit cheaper

Matt

startrek.steve 21-07-08 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpinestarhero (Post 1573919)
I've used the ones from halfords on my 1999 SV-S

and right now there is a genuine suzuki filter

Makes noooo differance :D Halfords ones are a bit cheaper

Matt

Whats the part number for the Halfords one? and how much? the Suzuki one is ?8.00.
Steve

john2811 21-07-08 08:15 AM

I asked the mechanic who looks after my bikes this very same question and he said the same as Matt, no difference and often made by the same manufacturers. Main thing is to change your oil and filter regularly, he charges me about ?20 for semi-synthetic and filter. Probably an over kill but I tend to get it done every 3000 miles on bikes and 6000 on cars, tad expensive on one as it takes 8.25 litres of Mobil-1, ouch

embee 21-07-08 08:51 AM

Filters are not all the same, just as oil is not all the same, but that's not something which many people will agree with.

*----ducks, hides----* :-dd

Alpinestarhero 21-07-08 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embee (Post 1573976)
Filters are not all the same, just as oil is not all the same, but that's not something which many people will agree with.

*----ducks, hides----* :-dd

Yea, thats true, I wouldnt expect my halfords one to be the same as my suzuki one

But neither make the bike feel differant, and so far I've had no reliability issues to report :D

I can't remember the part for the halfords one...if you go to the filters section though, they normaly have a chart

sv650k4 21-07-08 12:08 PM

ive used a load of different makes on all sorts of bike and have never seen/found much/any differenc in them!

;)

northwind 21-07-08 04:23 PM

The Halfords ones are Champion if memory serves, which are definately not the same as the OEM, I've seen pics of them opened up. Whether they're worse, I have no idea at all!

I'd say stay away from K&N, they're pretty and they have a handy nut on the end for fitting, but they're horribly finished and corrode like mad on a road bike. I replaced mine after 4000 miles and it had lost a fair amount of metal, I don't know if it would have ever become an integrity issue but it seemed on the cards, if I'd left it for the full 2 services. Plus, they're expensive.

Baz 22-07-08 06:34 AM

Halfords looks like a winner then. Thanks for the help guys.

Dangerous Dave 22-07-08 06:56 AM

Stick with the OEM filter, it is the best for corrosion resistance which with where it is positioned is a good idea. All the filters pretty much work the same, its the build quality that makes a difference between the lot.