SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   N.I.P (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=225501)

garynortheast 14-02-17 02:05 PM

N.I.P

Bl00dybu66eryb0llox!! Just had an NIP. 71mph in a NSL (60mph) Camera van, I didn't even see it! Long wide straight piece of road and at the time they had me it was pretty much empty too. can't understand how I failed to clock the sods. First time I've ever been had for speeding in 44 odd years of riding.

Given the conditions at the time I'm pretty sure that if it had been a police officer and not a camera van I'd have been pulled up, told off and sent on my way.

So I have to fill in the form and send it back. What happens then? It says on the form I may be offered a course.

Camera vans :smt067

timwilky 14-02-17 02:30 PM

Re: N.I.P

My one and only in 40 years was for 35 in a 30. 2 weeks earlier it was a 40. So hardly unsafe.

No offers of speed course etc. Points make prizes for the scamera van man.

Still I have had the cops alongside at 135. Long story, but they waved me goodbye when I had to stop playing.and not even a telling off.

Heorot 14-02-17 02:58 PM

Depends on the police authority. I was offered one for doing 33.5 in a 30 but not offered one for doing 48 in a 40. Both in Norfolk. First was a fixed camera at traffic lights, second was a camera van parked 50 metres inside the 40 limit. I should have challenged the second one as I was probably still in the NSL section when targeted,

maviczap 14-02-17 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3063329)

So I have to fill in the form and send it back. What happens then? It says on the form I may be offered a course.

Camera vans :smt067

Yep, usually its points + fine or take a speed awareness course, that's what I had offered the last time.

Its bloomin annoying I know, and I guess your camera was probably a covert one, as you would have seen a bloomin great white scamera van.

Take the course instead of points & a fine, it wasn't a bad afternoon & you usually get a free cup of tea.

Our van is quite often parked at the end of a long straight, you can't see it until its too late, but I bet it sees you miles away :smt065 :smt097

garynortheast 14-02-17 04:30 PM

I know just where it would have been parked Mav, that's why I'm baffled about not seeing it, as it's a really visible spot.
I will certainly do the course if it's offered, it won't be a total waste of time as I'm sure I'll learn something.
Didn't realise it was just an afternoon. Can you remember what it cost?

maviczap 14-02-17 04:35 PM

£89 if I remember correctly, although it was a few years ago.

Yep mine was just an afternoon, although a 100 mile round trip to Norwich, as I too got done by the Norfolk scamera van

garynortheast 14-02-17 04:52 PM

Ouch! On both counts....

Littlepeahead 14-02-17 04:57 PM

Take the course off you get the offer, you'll be able to do it locally, you don't have to go to the area you got done and often they do evenings, it's about £100.

You only get one chance so if you get done again it's points.

maviczap 14-02-17 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3063351)
Ouch! On both counts....

Its cheaper than the fine + admin costs, which works out to £130 when I had no option of a course before. Its probably £150 now

garynortheast 14-02-17 05:17 PM

It was a local van LPH so should be a local course, although in Powys that could still mean a 100 mile round trip!