SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Soho Massive (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   ZX6R club re-joined (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=204612)

pete m 15-10-13 12:28 PM

ZX6R club re-joined

Can you believe my little devil is playing up - it almost had me off this morning, had it warmed up to 2 blobs, i hit the road, wind the throttle on and.......nada she died ....v worrying...

then going along the old kent road, it hit a pot hole , and died again....WTF ?

Help needed ...only thing to say is it sat un loved and unused all last week,. the headlight has only full beam, no dip...which bulb do i need ? could this be linked...?

An interesting case for Sherlock Mc Holmes of Crystal Palace by way of Hampstead....:smt039

atassiedevil 15-10-13 01:14 PM

Re: ZX6R club re-joined

Sounds like a loose connection aggravated by hitting the pothole. The headlight will be a seperate issue, possibly switchgear or loose connection. Its an issue a few people have had.

jambo 15-10-13 04:06 PM

My memory's not awesome but I believe you had a ZX6R G model (98/99).

In which case the headlight's a single bulb for dip/main and an H4 is likely though I'd sugggest you check as I don't know that for certain. Start with the basics eh?

When you say died, I'm assuming total power loss, no instruments, no lights, no engine, nothing. and this has corrected itself? In which case a loose or bad connection is likely around something major along the lines for the main ignition switch or similar. Confirm the symptoms and I'll dig out a wiring diagram.

Jambo

pete m 15-10-13 04:07 PM

Ta Taz ...are there any of the old guard left ?Crustaceans etc?:cool:

pete m 15-10-13 04:10 PM

yes Jambo complete dead , threatens ...will check battery and report back --- ps bulb was either £5 or £10 from Halfords, i think its the 3 prong £$5 ...least i hope it is...

yes G1

pete m 16-10-13 10:50 AM

Jambo - your help - as always - is much appreciated ....checked the battery connections and they seem fine so i agree with the loose connection theory ...but how to find it ...? :confused:

When you are bowling along and the thing just dies, its a nasty feeling...when you are pulling out from your driveway into the traffic, it dies instead of goes, that is distressing ....:mad:

TSM 16-10-13 05:37 PM

Im sure ive got a sledge hammer, if not ive got a match. :)

jambo 18-10-13 11:36 AM

Breaking out the trusty Haynes manual.

Given *everything* dies and the main live & earth terminals are solid (you've checked both ends of these cables not just the battery end).

The main ignition live runs as a white line from the Starter relay, to the ignition switch, then as a brown wire from there back to the fuse block.

Check the connections are good at the starter relay, as well as any connector blocks along the way. Other wires would lead to failures of ignition, lights, or other systems but I don't think much outside of this loop would affect everything simultaneously as you describe. Note the wires, connectors and components on that route can all affect this, I would pay particular attention to the main starter relay and plug for the ignition switch into the loom.

Jambo

pete m 18-10-13 11:56 AM

was that TSM offering to have a look ? Oh thanks you Ric ...

err - seems to be sucking air into the head so had a look - blimey oil all over rh side of engine ....now why would anyone talk about hammers and matches ?:rolleyes:

Nice one Jambo, will try and follow the wiring as best as i can, have already done whats accessible, all seems well solid...

pete m 18-10-13 01:14 PM

BTW - has Sid Squid lost interest ? thought he might have benefits of problem solving skills, or is he now an Eremite ?