SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Dropped SV and Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=236165)

Lgarton99 07-05-20 01:34 PM

Dropped SV and Issues

Hi all,

I'm new here so take it gently! I passed my A2 test in February and bought a lightly used SV650s K6 with a throttle restriction.

Being in lockdown, I haven't had loads of time to still get used to the bike but today I took it out to deliver some paperwork for the NHS and ended up slipping out on some gravel whilst doing a U-turn :mad:

The bike landed on the exhaust side, threw petrol over the place and whilst I got out from underneath it it cut itself. Once upright it said CHEC on the dash but started ok and had no warning lights on. It rode ok on the way home but I thought it sounded slightly noisier than usual but I'm not sure if thats just me being nervous after dropping it.

Would dropping it and then the bike killing itself run anything out of oil quick enough to do any significant damage internally? The oil level is all ok and theres no more leaks/ warning lights but in my head I'm sure it sounded ever so slightly louder so I just wanted to pick everyones brains just so I know it should all be ok internally!

Cheers guys,
Lloyd

DarrenSV650S 07-05-20 02:47 PM

Re: Dropped SV and Issues

It might have knocked one of the exhaust clamps a little loose or damaged the can in some way. Start it up and put your hand over the exhaust and see if you hear any leaks

Adam Ef 07-05-20 06:23 PM

CHEC may be the tip switch cutting out the electircs. Same as if you use the kill switch.

keith_d 07-05-20 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3115126)
CHEC may be the tip switch cutting out the electircs. Same as if you use the kill switch.

Yep, bikes have a tipover switch which cuts the power when the bike is on it's side. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to reset after you set it upright. You also need to check all the usual suspects.

So check the cutoff switch, clutch switch, and side-stand switch. Give it five minutes for tipover switch, then check it's in neutral and thumb the start button.

Lgarton99 08-05-20 10:41 PM

Cheers guys for the info. The CHEC did reset all ok and the bike starts fine. I couldn't hear any exhaust leaks when I put my hand over the exhaust. A new indicator is on order for it now, I'm just slightly worried the engine may have been damaged internally whilst it run on its side for a moment before the tilt switch kicked in.
CHeers all,
Lloyd

keith_d 09-05-20 06:39 AM

Shouldn't be a problem. The tipover switch will have stopped it before the lack of oil caused any problems. The SV engine is pretty robust too.

PotatoSV 09-05-20 11:49 AM

Well I went on a holiday for about two weeks when I came back my bike was on its side flooded with water. I put it back on its wheels and left it like that for about two days then I changed the battery since it was a dead lost cause, I turned it on and then it turned on almost instantly I am amazed how good these bikes are. So dont worry your bike is fine, what year is it btw?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Lgarton99 11-05-20 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PotatoSV (Post 3115166)
Well I went on a holiday for about two weeks when I came back my bike was on its side flooded with water. I put it back on its wheels and left it like that for about two days then I changed the battery since it was a dead lost cause, I turned it on and then it turned on almost instantly I am amazed how good these bikes are. So dont worry your bike is fine, what year is it btw?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Its a 2006 half-faired and had 9377 miles on it when I bought it in January:thumleft: It was stored outside for a little bit of its life so it wants a bit of tarting up but nothing too major