SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Assen Moto GP-Saturday (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=61351)

Peter Henry 24-06-05 10:24 PM

Assen Moto GP-Saturday

Hey guys dont make the mistake I nearly did! This weekends Moto GP is Saturday not Sunday! Does anyone know why Assen is the only Saturday race of any season? :shock: 8)

rigor 24-06-05 10:44 PM

You got me thinking about why, so had a quick look and all I could turn up was "By tradtion" :P

But it's the only Moto GP race not to be called a Grand Prix, it's still called the Dutch TT. And it's the only circuit to have been on the world championship every year!

Not much help really :)

derbybiker 24-06-05 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigor
.................And it's the only circuit to have been on the world championship every year!

until next year.............I'm sure I heard them say on Eurosport that it won't be on next years calander due to them shortening the circuit to make way for some hotel (or something) development.

fizzwheel 25-06-05 11:22 AM

Maybe somebody should tell the :toss: at the BBC that its on today and not tomorrow.

I dont have sky or a digi box so I cant watcht the race till tomorrow as its on Grandstand then and not today :evil:

greeno76 25-06-05 12:35 PM

AARRGH!!! ]

Good job I checked in here!

Joining at 10/19

Thanks for the reminder!!

JG

Jelster 25-06-05 12:51 PM

Well we all know who won don't we... That man is a riding God, and Melandri ain't half bad either !

wheelnut 25-06-05 09:52 PM

Re: Assen Moto GP-Saturday

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Henry
Hey guys dont make the mistake I nearly did! This weekends Moto GP is Saturday not Sunday! Does anyone know why Assen is the only Saturday race of any season? :shock: 8)

I asked a Dutchman who I work with and he suggested it was a religious issue. I suggested he was taliking ********, as Im fairly certain that Rossi and Gibernau will be catholics, and it hasnt stopped them yet.

Well apart from Gibernau :P Submit now Sete, it will be easier iin the long run :D

Melandri is my hero at the moment as we are neighbours :D

Peter Henry 25-06-05 10:15 PM

I hate to repeat myself,(oh :lol: yeah!) But it has been clear for some time that Marco Melandri is no respecter of reputation. It obviously helps him being Italian also.He made old Max look a complete :toss: yesterday after their little bump when Max tried to nudge him and nearly got dragged under Marco's bike!

No-one will catch Valentino now, that is done.But I also think Marco will be a clear runner up creating a large amount of embarassment for Gibernau. Could Dani Pedrosa be persuaded to step up next year to partner Melandri? What a pairing that would be! And despite him being amazing....I think Valentino would really have his hands full with those two! 8)

Anonymous 25-06-05 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelnut
I asked a Dutchman who I work with and he suggested it was a religious issue. I suggested he was taliking ********, as Im fairly certain that Rossi and Gibernau will be catholics, and it hasnt stopped them yet.

Mr Wheelnut, I am not sure that your friend was talking those "man-things" at all! (Oh, please! Don't use that word.) It's nothing to do with Valentino or Sete's religion though.

The Dutch TT is something like 80 years old, and originally held on a very long course of public roads - just like "our" TT in the Isle of Man, the Nurburgring, Spa-Francorchamps and Le Mans etc. Assen was something like 28 Kms long (say 17 miles) and ran rather near to several places of worship and, as I recall from Uncle Edgar, that was why it didn't run on a Sunday. I can still remember the public roads section, but it is now a wonderful purpose built race-track of course (few car races and mainly for bikes); the tradition of running on a Saturday remains.

It always used to be on the Saturday immediately following the IoM TT - Uncle Edgar never quite made it there as his feet were still burnt.

wheelnut 26-06-05 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camilla Jessop
Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelnut

Mr Wheelnut, I am not sure that your friend was talking those "man-things" at all! (Oh, please! Don't use that word.) It's nothing to do with Valentino or Sete's religion though.

The Dutch TT is something like 80 years old, and originally held on a very long course of public roads - just like "our" TT in the Isle of Man, the Nurburgring, Spa-Francorchamps and Le Mans etc. Assen was something like 28 Kms long (say 17 miles) and ran rather near to several places of worship and, as I recall from Uncle Edgar, that was why it didn't run on a Sunday. I can still remember the public roads section, but it is now a wonderful purpose built race-track of course (few car races and mainly for bikes); the tradition of running on a Saturday remains.

It always used to be on the Saturday immediately following the IoM TT - Uncle Edgar never quite made it there as his feet were still burnt.

:oops: Sorry Ma,am, didnt realise you were listening :P

Thank You for putting it into polite English for me though:oops: