SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   new car or not new car. (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=217267)

widepants 09-05-15 09:43 AM

new car or not new car.

For the past 3 years I have been running a 3 seat fiat scudo , which has been good to me.Its on a 03 plate and has been a cheap runner.Last year with ins and mot plus service and new brakes it cost me only £ 500 to keep on the road.
Its dog slow but does the job of getting the 2 kids and I about but now if we have a friend over we are stuck.Been looking at a new kia sportage suv on motability .They take 220 a monthfrom from my lads disability allowance and provide everything appart from fuel.
Would you stick with the old van or get the new shiny.please discuss nicely.
Oh and nice to be back.
I still have the yella blandit but it has been joined by a shiny zzr14 wohoo

Spank86 09-05-15 09:56 AM

Re: new car or not new car.

well, From what I know you can upgrade at any time?

So I'd go with how much the current motor is worth and if you think it's gonna keel over at some point?

I mean it sounds like it's working ok for you and is fairly cheap to run so if its not worth anything I'd keep it till it dies (or you get a big bill) then take up the disability offer on a new car at that point. Financially it ought to make sense since you wouldn't be loosing money on the old motor and you'd be extending the life of the two cars as a whole, If your current motor last another year it'll be an extra year before you need to replace the new one.

Of course if it's currently worth selling then that situation changes.

widepants 09-05-15 10:04 AM

There are lots of things to consider. The van is a 1.9 non turbo on only 85000 miles , so dog slow but reliable and nothing , so far, ever goes wrong . It only has 3 seats so a problem if friends over . It only has 3 seats so safety wise in an accident......with 3 people squashed in the front. Plus at the moment it may fetch a few grand .
At least with motabiloty you know u are guaranteed transport

Spank86 09-05-15 10:51 AM

Depends how often you need the extra seats and if you think you'll lose money by waiting then.

swaffle 09-05-15 11:08 AM

My rule of thumb on "new car time" is when niggly things start to happen. It seems to be a snowball effect with cars once they start costing for repairs that aren't consumables ie your brakes... It jus seems to happen regularly and but this point I'd rather put the money to a new one than wait for the next repair.

Bibio 09-05-15 01:43 PM

one thing to consider that they dont tell you is that you loose any NCB you have built up.

you only get 12k year mileage allowance.

Matt-EUC 09-05-15 02:11 PM

new car or not new car.

Cameron may well make cuts to disabled allowances so take the offer while you can before you get ar5e raped by government.

NTECUK 09-05-15 05:33 PM

Any thing built in the uk suitable??

Reading into what the speculation is (And its only hearsay).
But could you put the £200 to a good second hand car that should benefits be cut your be able to keep.

Matt-EUC 09-05-15 05:34 PM

new car or not new car.

Is anything built in the uk?

Spank86 09-05-15 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt-EUC (Post 3010605)
Is anything built in the uk?

loads.

Lots of car companies build over here, they just HQ elsewhere.