SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Track Days (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Donnington - Tips Required (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=202001)

M65 30-07-13 01:44 PM

Donnington - Tips Required

Further to my last request for advice, I once again consult the mighty Org, but this time for tips and help on how to tackle Donnington. I'll be riding a fairly standard engine wise K3 with Pilot Power 3s that have only done one trackday and Kais fettled suspension. What should I be expecting?

Cheers

mase_tw 30-07-13 03:09 PM

Re: Donnington - Tips Required

Would love to do Donnington just being from london its just such a drive up there !

M65 30-07-13 03:46 PM

Its still a couple of hours or so away from me but it has to be done!

jambo 30-07-13 03:53 PM

Was there last year, I can confirm that it's a bit of a trek from London, but that the garages and facilities are decent.

And waterproof.

I'd love to chat about the circuit but by lunchtime we'd been told the day was a write off due the the torrential rain, we all loaded our still stone cold bikes back up and went home.

Jambo

M65 30-07-13 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambo (Post 2891215)
Was there last year, I can confirm that it's a bit of a trek from London, but that the garages and facilities are decent.

And waterproof.

I'd love to chat about the circuit but by lunchtime we'd been told the day was a write off due the the torrential rain, we all loaded our still stone cold bikes back up and went home.

Jambo

Sounds similar to my day at Caldwell a couple of weeks ago. The garages there are awesome and..... oh, hang on :-)

Whitty 01-08-13 10:30 AM

Still on my to do list. Some lads I know did it earlier this week and loved it. I just can't justify the price when I can do cadwell for £90-£100 or enter 2 race classes at 3 sister for £95.

M65 01-08-13 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitty (Post 2891832)
Still on my to do list. Some lads I know did it earlier this week and loved it. I just can't justify the price when I can do cadwell for £90-£100 or enter 2 race classes at 3 sister for £95.

I got the Moto3 package from Focused Events late last year. 3 trackdays of my choosing as and when I please for £325. Seemed reasonable enough. Donnington will be the last of the 3 after Oulton and Cadwell.

phil24_7 01-08-13 01:09 PM

Short shift between the first and second corner, this sets you up for the whole downhill section. If you get it right that whole section flows, get it wrong and you struggle to keep your line or speed! The corner before dunlop straight is blind, most people turn far too early as you can't see the apex, use your first session to get your turning point here sorted and it'll set you up nicely for some overtakes down the straight. Don't be a wuss and back off under the bridge, keep it pinned, grip with your legs and be prepared for the front to raise or at the very least go light!

Not sure what changes were made to the track during the upgrade works but I don't think any of these corners were touched.

phil24_7 01-08-13 01:16 PM

You guys need to try living down here. It is a minimum of 3-3.5 hours to get to any decent tracks!

phil24_7 01-08-13 01:17 PM

In fact scrub the short shift from 2-3 as the SV will probably be fine and I imagine you would have changed gear before the corner anyway.