SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Preload on standard forks & shock (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=228256)

sv robbo 15-09-17 09:10 PM

Preload on standard forks & shock

Evening all,

Got a 2004 model pointy sv650. Having read several threads regarding the lack of adjustment on the standard forks & shock I understand the only available option is the preload. At 13 stone kitted out I've found it very soft so am going to stiffen up & set the sag accordingly.

I have no manual to hand, have searched online & am struggling to find anything to download, so my questions;

1. Forks - rings showing or not for soft or hard?
2. Shock - notches up or down for soft or hard?

Thanks in advance for any help. I am aware heavier internals front & different spring back seems to be the chosen fix, but I am just looking to make the most of what's on the bike for now.

Robbo

DomP 15-09-17 10:19 PM

Re: Preload on standard forks & shock

1.The less rings showing on the fork preload the more preload (harder)

2.higher notches = more preload, harder

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

sv robbo 16-09-17 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomP (Post 3076690)
1.The less rings showing on the fork preload the more preload (harder)

2.higher notches = more preload, harder

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Perfect, thank you!

Bibio 16-09-17 12:20 PM

your preload adjusters dont make it 'soft or hard' it only adjusts the height of your sag.

less rings on the front = more height
taller notch on the rear = more height

johnnyrod 16-09-17 09:27 PM

Do you have the stock fork springs? Because if so then an puppy would find them too soft, on any settings.

andy650 17-09-17 04:10 AM

+1 on Bibio, preload wont affect how hard it feels.

Compression damping will affect how hard it feels, but you cant adjust that (apart from new fork oil)

sv robbo 17-09-17 12:17 PM

Thanks for the help lads.

Yes, all standard springs/hardware. Apologies for the mix up on my terminology of soft & hard, just wanted to set the sag which is now all done.

Yep, you guessed it, preload front fully in with 0 rings showing, preload rear on top notch 7!

johnnyrod 17-09-17 08:59 PM

You should get new fork springs, but if the rear is anything like the curvy, 4 or so on preload is fine. The difference with the rear is the rising rate linkage - more preload means a bouncier ride with less damping, a bit less means a better balance of both. Check the damping in the back shock hasn't gone - they don't have a reputation for longevity.

Stilo 18-09-17 05:14 PM

Check the damping in the back shock hasn't gone - they don't have a reputation for longevity.[/QUOTE]

Ive read about fitting a ZX shock etc but can anybody recommend somebody to rebuild the original shock, if so what's the cost?
Thanks

glang 18-09-17 06:42 PM

Fraid orignal SV shock is non rebuildable. Search on here for suitable secondhand shocks or a new aftermarket jobbie....