SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Top Gear is back (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=207135)

Ch00 01-02-14 03:04 PM

Top Gear is back

Restarts Sunday 2nd Feb 2014 on BBC 2 and BBC 2 HD at 8pm

jambo 01-02-14 04:29 PM

Re: Top Gear is back

Series record set. No it's not in any way relevant to motoring, but it is fun!

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard

DJ123 01-02-14 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambo (Post 2932248)
Series record set. No it's not in any way relevant to motoring, but it is fun!

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard

It is purely an entertainment show. The clip online of the new series looks good.

DJFridge 01-02-14 10:17 PM

It would never get the audience it does if it was still actually a motoring show. Be honest, would any of you watch it if they were doing a straight review of the latest version of the Vauxhall Insignia SE? Of course not, which is why the old cardigan wearing, pipe smoking version gently died.

Personally, I love watching an hour of usually pretty funny stuff, vaguely based around cars. I'm looking forward to tomorrow night

Mrs DJ Fridge 01-02-14 10:47 PM

Best show on TV by a mile, no pun intended. What can I say I am looking forward to tomorrow night too, spending an hour watching three men on a show that I seem to be unable to get tickets for, we have applied to no avail, may try again, or perhaps just considered too old to get in!

ClunkintheUK 02-02-14 06:55 PM

I disagree that it's not still a motoring show. I think their p155take reviews are more helpful then the 5th gear proper reviews. Take for example the caravan towing one they did last season with the mini 4x4s. I thought that was excellent at being informative, got a better sense of how much oomph the cars had for towing and controlling a trailer then Tiff Needell talking about this one or that one feeling a little sluggish, or skittish in the corners.

Almost all modern (built 2000 onwards) cars are reliable, albeit with a couple of bits to watch out for. a lot of the purchasing criteria are available online (like mpg, towing capacity in this case, etc) car reviews are about the little indescribable details which you'll only get from a long term test or a "Lets make this do more then it was meant to do" type test.

Most people buy their cars second hand with a thought to "I want a convertible for 2 grand" or something like that, they usually come up with an obvious choice and something you hadn't thought of.

Wideboy 02-02-14 08:11 PM

it's ****.

DJFridge 02-02-14 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wideboy (Post 2932416)
it's ****.

Best you don't watch it then. I thought it was pretty funny tonight, personally;)

L3nny 02-02-14 09:30 PM

I used to like old top gear and would still watch a cardigan car reviews. In fact I watch such reviews on YouTube all the time. Top gear has now not only turned into an entertainment show but it's also now a kids show. I still watch it and enjoy it but wish there was a proper motoring show on as well

Littlepeahead 02-02-14 09:32 PM

I thought it was all just a bit silly and not funny at all. The format feels tired, same overworked jokes, and the challenge now is pretty much the whole show with the 'star' lap is just an advert for whatever film, book or album they want to plug to a huge audience.