SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Van or estate car? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=223404)

DomP 31-07-16 12:25 PM

Van or estate car?

Time may have come to get rid of my clio 182 for more boot space. Im currently doing odd jobs and maintenance work so my tools dont really fit in the boot too well but vans unless huge dont have the necessary rear seats for picking up the kids on occasion. Im now thinking of combining practicallity and performance and getting a diesel octavia vrs estate. Obviously i wont be able to put it against tax not being commercial but hell it will be more fun!
What do you guys think? Am i being led by my heart over my head?

Heorot 31-07-16 02:05 PM

Re: Van or estate car?

New or used? In my view, unless you are racking up serious mileage, a diesel doesn't make economic sense. You pay a premium on the purchase price and last time I looked, diesel cost more than petrol at the pumps.

DomP 31-07-16 04:01 PM

Oh used mate, 06 or 07 plate i would guess. Im not that minted and i agree about diesel too just that tax is quite a lot less.

Ok ill be honest, really fancy a vrs and the boot should be ok for drills tool boxes etc. And i can put a roof rack on if im ever needing to transport long items.

maviczap 31-07-16 04:14 PM

Also with all the stuff that diesels have these days that can go wrong, EGR valves, particulate filters etc etc, I wouldn't buy a diesel unless I was doing motorway miles.

My next car will be petrol

Ch00 31-07-16 05:16 PM

Ford Cmax (not Grand Cmax) All of these have completely removable rear seats so you have a mini van as and when you need it.

Not a babe magnet nor rocket-ship but very practical!!!

DomP 31-07-16 05:37 PM

Id like the poke my 182 has and ill use it to go away though

Sir Trev 31-07-16 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch00 (Post 3050546)
Ford Cmax (not Grand Cmax) All of these have completely removable rear seats so you have a mini van as and when you need it.

Not a babe magnet nor rocket-ship but very practical!!!

The C-Max only comes with the 1.0 Ecoboost 125 which is a shame. The S-Max however gets the excellent 1.5 Ecoboost tuned to 160. And you can get more stuff in it compared to the C-Max. Or the Focus Estate perhaps, which you can get with the 1.5 in 180 tune, like the one in Lady Poppy's hatchback version. Varoom!

DomP 31-07-16 05:54 PM

Guys you're meant to be backing me up here! ��its the VRS i want, i will accept the petrol idea too as it gives me more bhps

johnnyrod 31-07-16 06:02 PM

Sounds like you don't want a van then. You'd get one if you had a lot of gear to cart around, a car just can't take the weight. If it's just tools etc. then a car would do it. We use estate cars at work and load them to the gunwhales, but I have a pickup truck at home and I wouldn't use a car for heavy stuff. My Hilux is a 2 seater though so massive load bay, to a 4 seat pimp wagon. As ever, horses for courses. Car-type vans are a LOT cheaper than pickups though. Also bear in mind that vans are targets for thieves these days, but in a car everything is on show unless you unload it - the weighted down rear end is also a give-away.

Trev B 31-07-16 07:27 PM

Try a Berlingo,I've got the 2 litre HDI with the one rear door,rear seats are 60/40, brilliant old bus with plenty of head room !!!