SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Who's still riding? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229194)

Seeker 24-12-17 01:30 PM

Who's still riding?

I'm a fine weather rider but I've managed to squeeze in a couple of brief rides recently. Our local main roads don't dry out until 2 pm ish and the minor roads not at all. If I had the space I'd pick up a winter hack - something like an old Honda CD175, maybe.

garynortheast 24-12-17 01:37 PM

Re: Who's still riding?

Still using the SV although a bit less at the moment as the roads out of the village are so thickly covered in mud and manure that it's a downright dangerous business getting out to the main road.

DarrenSV650S 24-12-17 02:25 PM

I rode mine in to the conservatory yesterday

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4592/...965a6563_b.jpg

andy650 24-12-17 03:26 PM

I've got a Dorsoduro as well as the SV. The SV is off the road for maintenance, and the Dorsoduro is taking all the salt and muck.

Luckily it has heated grips, will be using it tomorrow for a quick spin, roads are usually nice and quiet with little chance of Police on Xmas day :-)

DarrenSV650S 24-12-17 03:43 PM

How is it coping with the salt? Mine has a few rusty bits that need some attention

andy650 24-12-17 04:05 PM

It copes well, cleaned regularly and coated in FS365 :-)

It's a great bike for commuting on, especially in the bad weather. Tank size and seat comfort are my only gripes, and the spray from that silly front mudguard in the wet.

Looks amazing, brakes and handles well.

maviczap 24-12-17 04:30 PM

Haven't ridden mine since April 2016 :-(

Sir Trev 24-12-17 06:12 PM

Hugh has so much chrome it would take longer to clean than I'd be out riding...

johnnyrod 24-12-17 10:13 PM

Know what you mean Gary, I was out today but I was locking on the lower half on my body using my bum cheeks

Craig380 25-12-17 08:37 AM

Merry Christmas, everyone :)

I keep mine ready to go through winter just in case I get a dry couple of hours, but if the roads are sopping I won't bother ... these days I'm definitely a fair weather rider and not ashamed of it.

SV650rules 25-12-17 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig380 (Post 3080985)
Merry Christmas, everyone :)

I keep mine ready to go through winter just in case I get a dry couple of hours, but if the roads are sopping I won't bother ... these days I'm definitely a fair weather rider and not ashamed of it.

+1 Can smell Turkey (kebabs and camel dung - wind must be from south east LOL)

Nothing better than a fine day on a motorbike - struggle to think how I used to get through winter riding to work on ice and snow (many years ago now, when winters were much worse :pale: riders today don't know they are born -- yack, yack ha ha - sounding like Monty Python and the Four Yorkshiremen )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

Red Herring 25-12-17 10:46 AM

I use my Hornet all year round but the SV pretty much gets parked up once the salt appears. If I want to play at this time of year I use my DRZ400, the worse the roads the better.....:)

Craig380 25-12-17 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeker (Post 3080992)
I successfully squeezed in an hours ride this morning. The main roads were dry so I made my usual mistake of thinking "the side roads can't be too wet", as usual I was totally wrong. They were flooded, ploughed field wet.

I was optimistic of a ride this morning but squally showers put me off.

Heorot 25-12-17 03:16 PM

I get bored and then find an excuse for a ride. On Friday I got kitted up to ride 5 miles there and back to the local garden centre to get peanuts for the birds in my garden. I din't really need them but just wanted an excuse to ride.

Red Herring 25-12-17 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeker (Post 3080992)
The main roads were dry so I made my usual mistake of thinking "the side roads can't be too wet", as usual I was totally wrong. They were flooded, ploughed field wet.

I think it rather depends on what's around the roads (or over actually). The main roads will often stay damp and greasy for longer than the minor untreated roads providing they are not under trees or between high hedges. Down my way the marshes are almost assured to be dry by lunchtime providing it hasn't actually rained in the morning. Has the added bonus at this time of year of the hedges and verges being down so the views through the twisty bits can be exploited!

Chris_SVS 26-12-17 08:29 AM

Still riding just haven't been out. Rebuilt front calipers and ran out of DOT5.1, still to change chain/sprockets and service rear

NTECUK 27-12-17 11:02 AM

We had a dry start to boxing Day.
The road was washed from salts.
So a bit of a trip around the local roads.

simon1 27-12-17 01:03 PM

Yes still riding!!.:-)..........
http://i63.tinypic.com/2h3zamp.jpg

Craig380 28-12-17 08:55 AM

@Simon1 - that looks very cool. What's the grip like from those knobblies?

I got a quick 40-mile spin out yesterday, it was dry but freezing.

SV650rules 28-12-17 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig380 (Post 3081056)
@Simon1 - that looks very cool. What's the grip like from those knobblies?

I had a 250 Honda Trail bike a few years ago with knobbly tyres (studs close together, more like trials tyres than scrambler with their larger studs with bigger gaps), great off road but scary on tarmac.

Trev B 28-12-17 03:34 PM

I had an SP370 years ago,new knobbly tyres felt like riding on a water bed for the first day or two

simon1 28-12-17 04:43 PM

Hi
Grips ok.....gets a bit scary at 70MPH!!.....its road legal,but more for a bit of fun flat track racing etc next year...

simon1 28-12-17 04:45 PM

Just fitted a healtech quickshifter to it as well!.....much better!!! :-)

SVSte 31-12-17 04:30 PM

Brill day today, dry & sunny and a great run out, only local but nice to get out, no salt on the roads :)

Mickle 31-12-17 05:29 PM

I have a s..t box dullsville for this time of year, not bothered how much the salt rots it, as it couldn't make it look any worse after all,
SV is tucked up in the dry, gets started weekly

Roll on summer ( at least the rain is warmer )

Craig380 31-12-17 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVSte (Post 3081180)
Brill day today, dry & sunny and a great run out, only local but nice to get out, no salt on the roads :)

Same here, had an hour out which was cracking. Needed to make sure the brand-new battery and new air filter were OK, obviously ;)

Red Herring 31-12-17 05:51 PM

Well I had a brilliant ride out this morning with a bunch of mates, in the pouring rain and a 40knot sea breeze...... exciting to say the least! Once you're got all your kit on the rain really isn't an issue and if anything it did a brilliant job of washing all the salt away leaving the road nice and grippy, in a wet sort of way.....

ethariel 31-12-17 09:12 PM

Most day's my back let's me, tho those days are becoming much less than I'd like but that's life.

Might start looking for a driving instructor next year, it's getting that bad.....

NTECUK 02-01-18 09:27 AM

First commute to work of 2018 on the 765 yes.
Ps my fingers are cold..

shiftin_gear98 02-01-18 10:23 AM

I ride every Monday to Friday year round - except the last week or so.
Wasn't too cold this morning, realised my front brake is well due a strip down when my bike didn't fancy moving when I tried to wheel it out of the garage.

Looks like I'll be tinkering as soon as the seal kit arrives.

Chris_SVS 02-01-18 12:08 PM

Mine was a horrible job :( the seals came out with the pistons, caked in salt :(

Still not finished, have a fluid leak which I hope is nipples