SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   draining fork oil (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=121852)

glang 27-11-08 06:48 PM

draining fork oil

Its a really old topic I know but what happens if u take the bolts out of the bottom of the forks? Is it too much to hope that fork oil will drain out - obviously with the front wheel off the ground and will it go back together afterwards? :confused:

Biker Biggles 27-11-08 06:55 PM

Re: draining fork oil

No you need to take them out and tip them upside down.

Mr Speirs 27-11-08 07:03 PM

I believe those bolts hold the damping rods. If you undo them they will become loose. They are quite tricky to put back together when they're apart let alone built up.

Even if it were possible you would have to take the wheel out to get to the bottom damping rod bolt. So you would only be a few bolts shy of having the forks out anyways.

yorkie_chris 27-11-08 07:13 PM

Don't bother removing the damper rod bolt.

Alpinestarhero 27-11-08 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker Biggles (Post 1699739)
No you need to take them out and tip them upside down.

Can you not use a big ol' pump? I was planning on sucking out thefork oil from my forks and then putting in springs and new oil

if i change the sprrings, do I have to change the oil though? Can i just fish the springs out and pop in the new ones?

yorkie_chris 27-11-08 07:17 PM

People who haven't got time to do a job right always seem to manage to find time to do it twice.

glang 28-11-08 10:00 AM

alright I get the message I'll take em out its just that I like to investigate all possibilities and if I don't like the change I might be doing the job a few times!

Ceri JC 28-11-08 10:06 AM

Replacing fork oil is one of those jobs that is very slow the first time, but very quick to do once you've gotten your head round it. If at all possible, get someone local who has done it before to show you/help give you a hand.

skeetly 28-11-08 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 1699773)
People who haven't got time to do a job right always seem to manage to find time to do it twice.

Thats profound and consider it stolen.
/makes off with someone elses proverbial

petevtwin650 28-11-08 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpinestarhero (Post 1699770)
Can you not use a big ol' pump? I was planning on sucking out thefork oil from my forks and then putting in springs and new oil

if i change the sprrings, do I have to change the oil though? Can i just fish the springs out and pop in the new ones?

ASH, I often wondered about a pump too. :cool:

However, especially if the oil is old, I would imagine there would be some oil left so best to tip em up and maybe flush them out too.

Oil is under 20 quid, are you really that hard up? :-({|=, plus the springs may displace a different amount of oil so you'll have to redo the air gap anyway.