SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   BMW servicing (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=230509)

Red ones 30-08-18 08:04 PM

BMW servicing

OMO anyone know the service frequency for the F800R?

andrewsmith 30-08-18 08:44 PM

Re: BMW servicing

Every 15 minutes by a mottarad approved mechanic

It's 4k minor and 8k major iirc

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Red ones 30-08-18 09:48 PM

Same as an SV pretty much then.

Hmm. Thinking of getting one, but not sure I can afford the servicing. I've done the SV myself but I'd finance a BMW differently and would need the garage stamp on the book and a service every 4 months is pretty steep as I guess valve clearances come up every 16000 miles (14 months for me).

My understanding is that it doesn't work have to be a Motorad garage just a VAT registered mechanic. (Useful European law)

Littlepeahead 31-08-18 08:23 AM

From the BMW forum I've been on it looks similar to my GS:

600 mile in your run-in service.
Every 6000 miles is oil change(with filter) [Minor service]
Every 12,000 miles is valve check, plus 6,000 mile stuff [Major service]

At 18,000 miles I think is a fork oil change

At 24,000ish miles is spark plug change

Brake fluid is changed after 1st year, then every 2 years after that.

Air filter is every year, I think.

They also check torque values on nuts & bolts & other small stuff that (Like chain/sprocket wear) you should be checking yourself anyways.

Red ones 31-08-18 11:36 AM

Fork oil at 18k?!?!

ophic 31-08-18 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red ones (Post 3091394)
Fork oil at 18k?!?!

Premium bikes, remember. The SV rear shock usually needs replacing at that mileage but no-one bothers or even notices because it ain't that good when it's new.

Fork oil should probably be replaced more often that this but usually folks only bother when the seals expire.

Bibio 31-08-18 02:57 PM

if you want long service life from a motorbike then buy one with a dry clutch that way you can use long life car oil.

there are no wet clutch motorcycles out there with long service life due to the type of oil needed for the wet clutch no matter what the manufacturers say.

if you use cheep oil then you need to replace it more often e.g. 3k. if you use premium oil then it can be stretched to every 4k.

commuting on a motorcycle these days is not as cost effective as it once was but instead is more convenience/time orientated.

i personally have no idea why motorcycle manufacturers still insist on producing motorcycles with wet clutches due to the environmental impact of the oil having to be replaces a loooot more often that a car.

ophic 31-08-18 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3091410)
commuting on a motorcycle these days is not as cost effective as it once was but instead is more convenience/time orientated.

i personally have no idea why motorcycle manufacturers still insist on producing motorcycles with wet clutches due to the environmental impact of the oil having to be replaces a loooot more often that a car.

You don't live in London.

Train = fast, hassle free (mostly), expensive
Bike = takes longer, more hassle but cheaper

But if you compare it to commuting by car it probably works out about the same except for time. So I kinda agree with you.

How well can oil be recycled these days? I read somewhere they properly re-use it and don't tend to just burn it all anymore.

zsv650s 31-08-18 08:22 PM

You use a bit less oil in a bike though tbf

Talking Heads 31-08-18 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red ones (Post 3091384)
Same as an SV pretty much then.

Err no.
AL7 onwards is 7,500 minor 15,000 major