SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Pressure sensitive laffic trights - not biker friendly? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=211856)

LewSpeight 16-07-14 02:08 PM

Pressure sensitive laffic trights - not biker friendly?

I have some traffic lights at the bottom of my road, on a crossroads, fairly quiet road at best of times.

Now from experience I reckon about 9pm ish they seem to change 'modes' and all 4 ways stay completely red until a car pulls up to the junction, then that specific side turns green. You get the picture.

I've been sat there for 5/10 mins at 11pm sometimes and have been forced to run the red light.
It's a closed junction so can't see the other roads because of walls and a house but I can see the other traffic lights reflecting so I know they're on red when I run them, so it's not completely suicidal.

Where do I stand if a copper sees me from the distance, or should I report it to the highway peeps before that does happen?

Bluepete 16-07-14 02:16 PM

Re: Pressure sensitive laffic trights - not biker friendly?

The loop in the road is an induction loop that registers the metal mass of a car by a change in current. This phases the lights.Your bike has less metal mass so it doesn't register.

I have a large, powerful magnet on one of the suspension dog-bones (close to the ground) that causes the induction loop to trip. I haven't had that long wait since I put it there.

As for going through the light, it would all depend on the cop who stops you. I used to do it by paddling myself forwards at one crossroads near me and having a good look that it was clear.

Pete ;)

LewSpeight 16-07-14 02:23 PM

Ah Pete, that magnet idea sounds good.

Just exactly how strong does this magnet have to be and how big?
Any photos?

yorkie_chris 16-07-14 02:24 PM

One out of a fullsize hard drive maybe?

dizzyblonde 16-07-14 02:25 PM

I think I know which set you mean......and its a pain in the bum when you've just done a 12 hour night shift and you are sat falling asleep on the tank waiting for them to change :smt072

yorkie_chris 16-07-14 02:29 PM

You can bloody guarantee that the only car coming that way within hours will be a copper as well. Quite a few of these sets around!

They're good in the van though as you can generally get through without losing too much momentum :)

Sir Trev 16-07-14 02:46 PM

Entry barriers can be similarly equipped with these induction loops too. Gave up trying to get in to Windsor leisure centre once by going over the pavements - complaining to the front desk the cashier said not to worry, just go around. Saved paying for the parking I suppose.

More details of these magic magnets please BP.

PyroUK 16-07-14 02:48 PM

5cm diam x 2cm depth neodymium should do the job very nicely! No risk of it falling off then of you hit a pothole etc

PyroUK 16-07-14 02:50 PM

The other option is to wheel back and forth over the loop.

I also once read somewhere that blipping the engine over the loop might work but think that is prob BS

yorkie_chris 16-07-14 03:01 PM

Ones that size might stop you getting so many punctures as well!